How Does Angular Momentum Conservation Affect Asteroid Collision Dynamics?

Note that I used ##R## instead of ##d## in calculating ##\omega##, so I'll have to redo my calculation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hak said:
the previous calculations regarding Icm and conservation of momentum are wrong.
Not wrong enough to matter. ##I_{cm}\approx \frac 25MR^2##, ##I_{cm}\omega\approx mvR##.

Likes Chestermiller
haruspex said:
Not wrong enough to matter. ##I_{cm}\approx \frac 25MR^2##, ##I_{cm}\omega\approx mvR##.
Yes, if ##m \ll M##.

PeroK said:
Note that I used ##R## instead of ##d## in calculating ##\omega##, so I'll have to redo my calculation.
Okay, I am waiting for a response. I didn't understand what result there is in Kleppner and Kolenkow....

erobz said:
If it was meant to be a small asteroid hitting a still planetary sized body where ##m \ll M## then we can tell without doing any calculation though that ##F \approx 0##. by your own result as ##\frac{m}{M} \approx 0## , giving ##\omega \approx 0##?
m/M is supposed to be small compared to unity, not approach zero absolutely. It can't be eliminated when it stands alone.

Likes erobz
Hak said:
Yes, if ##m \ll M##.
So what's your problem?

Chestermiller said:
So what's your problem?
None, I had not noticed this aspect before @haruspex's message.

When I don't use ##m \ll M ## and plug in ##M= 9m## I get:

$$ I_{com} = \frac{9}{2}m R^2 $$

$$ \omega = \frac{v}{5R} $$

$$F = \frac{9mv^2}{250 R}$$

Likes PeroK
erobz said:
When I don't use ##m \ll M ## and plug in ##M= 9m## I get:

$$ I_{com} = \frac{9}{2}m R^2 $$

$$ \omega = \frac{v}{5R} $$

$$F = \frac{9mv^2}{250 R}$$
That's what I get now.

Likes erobz
PeroK said:
That's what I get now.
Yes, that should be right. So, is my generic result in post #101 correct?

Chestermiller said:
m/M is supposed to be small compared to unity, not approach zero absolutely. It can't be eliminated when it stands alone.
I'd like to see the maths. There is a term in ##\frac {m^2v}{M}## in the final calculation for ##F##. I don't know how to handle that if we have ##m \ll M##.

PeroK said:
I'd like to see the maths. There is a term in ##\frac {m^2v}{M}## in the final calculation for ##F##. I don't know how to handle that if we have ##m \ll M##.
Where is this term? I can't see it.

PS it's not like the calculations are particularly complicated without the simplification. And, ultimately, the force per unit mass on ##m## is proportional to ##\frac m M##.

Likes erobz
I am missing the utility in the approximation ##m \ll M ## that is being talked about, given that a person like me can solve it without.

Likes PeroK
PeroK said:
PS it's not like the calculations are particularly complicated without the simplification. And, ultimately, the force per unit mass on ##m## is proportional to ##\frac m M##.
Excuse me, but I cannot see what you are saying. Could you check my result in post #101 and tell me where I am wrong? Thank you very much.

Hak said:
Excuse me, but I cannot see what you are saying. Could you check my result in post #101 and tell me where I am wrong? Thank you very much.
Yes, that looks right to me.

PeroK said:
Yes, that looks right to me.
Okay, but how to make my equation for force per unit mass visibly proportional to ##\frac{m}{M}##? In the case where ## m \ll M##, how would such an equation become?

Hak said:
Okay, but how to make my equation for force per unit mass visibly proportional to ##\frac{m}{M}##? In the case where ## m \ll M##, how would such an equation become?
That's with the simplifications using ##\frac m M \ll 1##. There's a discussion about whether that's a valid approximation to make in this case.

PeroK said:
That's with the simplifications using ##\frac m M \ll 1##. There's a discussion about whether that's a valid approximation to make in this case.
Sorry to bother you, but I didn't understand very well, I understood only partially.

Hak said:
Sorry to bother you, but I didn't understand very well, I understood only partially.
Don't worry about it. The thread has 125 posts already!

PeroK said:
Don't worry about it. The thread has 125 posts already!
So?

Hak said:
Not sure what you are asking. You have established ##\omega\approx\frac{5mv}{2MR}## and ##F\approx mR\omega^2##. Put those together.

Just for the record.

My expression in post#55 for finding the moment of inertia of the composite mass is $$\frac{2}{5}MR^2+md^2=I_{cm}+(M+m)(R-d)^2.$$ If one replaces ##d=\dfrac{MR}{M+m}## and solves for ##I_{cm}##, one gets $$I_{cm}=\frac{2}{5}MR^2+\frac{Mm}{M+m}R^2.$$ @erobz 's expression for ##I_{cm}## in post#62 is $$I_{cm} = \frac{2}{5}MR^2 + M(R-d)^2 + md^2.$$
If one replaces ##d=\dfrac{MR}{M+m}## and solves for ##I_{cm}##, one gets $$I_{cm}=\frac{2}{5}MR^2+\frac{Mm}{M+m}R^2.$$Just because the expressions look different doesn't mean that they are different. Folks who are interested in expansions should note that $$I_{cm}\approx\frac{2}{5}MR^2\left(1+\frac{\cancel{7}5m}{2M}\right).$$

Edited to fix error in the approximate expression. See posts #208 and #231

Last edited:
Likes erobz
haruspex said:
Not sure what you are asking. You have established ##\omega\approx\frac{5mv}{2MR}## and ##F\approx mR\omega^2##. Put those together.
Thank you, I understand now. So, the force ##F## is not approximate to ##0## when ## m \ll m## as was said previously, right?

Okay, so what we have is the full calculation giving:
$$F = \frac{25mv^2}{4R}\bigg [\frac 1 {1 +\mu} \bigg ] \bigg [\frac{\mu}{1 + \frac{7\mu}{2}} \bigg ]^2 \approx \frac{25mv^2}{4R}\big [\mu^2 -8\mu^3 \big ]$$Where ##\mu = \frac m M##

Whereas, if we make the simplifications earlier in the calculation, we get:
$$F \approx \frac{25mv^2}{4R}\big [\mu^2 \big ]$$These are the same up to the second order in ##\mu##. But, there is a factor of ##8## in the third order term.

With ##\mu = 0.01## there is still an 8% difference. That seems quite significant. You need ##\mu = 0.001## for the early simplifications to give only a 1% error.

I'm not sure what conclusion to draw.

Actually, my conclusion is that the question should be explicit about giving an answer to the first significant order of ##\frac m M##. Also, it seems pointless to calculate the centripetal force on ##m##. Calculating ##\omega## would make much more sense.

PeroK said:
The idea is that I have got a formula for ##F## in terms of ##m, M, v, R##. If I post that formula, then I've given you the answer. But, if I plug ##M = 9m## into that formula and simplify, then that gives you something to check. It also gives the others something to check and they can confirm whether I've got it right or not. I think it's right, but we all make mistakes.
It's right unless I made the same mistake as you.

kuruman said:
It's right unless I I made the same mistake as you.
But, not really a mistake. I unwittingly made the simplification ##d \approx R##. Which is significant if we take ##\mu = 0.1##, which is too large for the simplifications to be valid.

Could you please explain the simplifications you have made? How did you come to such conclusions in retrospect?

Hak said:
Could you please explain the simplifications you have made? How did you come to such conclusions in retrospect?
Just do what @haruspex suggested.

PeroK said:
Just do what @haruspex suggested.
I did, but I didn't understand the percentages you set up.

Hak said:
I did, but I didn't understand the percentages you set up.
Just plug in the numbers!

PeroK said:
But, not really a mistake. I unwittingly made the simplification ##d \approx R##. Which is significant if we take ##\mu = 0.1##, which is too large for the simplifications to be valid.
Funny thing, I did too. My corrected exact value for ##\omega## when ##M=9m## is $$\omega =\frac{1}{5}\frac{v}{R}.$$It turns out that no approximation is needed if one uses the simplified moment of inertia in post#128.

(Original expression edited to add missing factor of 5 in the numerator.)

Last edited:
kuruman said:
Funny thing, I did too. My corrected exact value for ##\omega## when ##M=9m## is $$\omega =\frac{1}{25}\frac{v}{R}.$$It turns out that no approximation is needed if one uses the simplified moment of inertia in post#128.
Sorry to bother you again, could you explain this assumption better? Thank you for your patience, sorry again.

It's not an assumption. I am following @PeroK's lead in post#95. I derived an expression for ##\omega## that I think is correct, I plugged in ##M=9m## and simplified. This allows for other users to check their answers against mine without anyone giving the answer away which is against our rules.