Collision between a block and a curved up-ramp surface

In summary: This is the key to this question.In summary, the conversation discusses the use of conservation of momentum and conservation of energy in solving a question involving an inelastic collision. It is suggested that at the critical time after the collision, the velocity of the small block relative to the large block is zero and the energy loss can be calculated using the reduced mass and initial relative velocity. However, in this case, the collision energy is not lost but converted to potential energy.
rashida564
Homework Statement
A block of mass mb sits at rest on a frictionless table; the block has a circular surface
of radius R as shown in the figure. A small cube of mass mc < mb and speed vc,0 is
incident upon the block; the cube moves without friction on the table and the block.
What is the maximum height h above the table that is reached by the cube?
Assume vc,0 is small enough so that h < R. Express your answer using some or
all of the following variables: vc,0, g, mb and mc
Relevant Equations
Pi=Pf
Ei=Ef
I tried to solve this question using conservation of momentum. The momentum of the system is mc(vc)=mcvc'+mbvf'. But after that I have no idea I want to use the conservation of kinetic energy but the question doesn't say it's elastic collision, I need to find the velocity of the mb after the collision so I can find the maximum height

Attachments

• firgure.PNG
    firgure.PNG
    21.5 KB · Views: 390
Physics news on Phys.org
Conservation of momentum in the x-direction is the key. You can't use conservation of kinetic energy.

What is the critical time after the collision?

A couple of things. The two objects are changing state all the time, but the problem asks about one very specific moment in time. What can you say about the velocities at the moment the cube reaches its highest point? Also, for equations you mention conservation of momentum and conservation of energy. So far you have only thought about conservation of momentum. I bet you can guess what you should think about next ;)

Conservation of energy. At the highest point the velocity of the block will be equal to zero with respect to the block, so the only velocity will be the velocity of the block and the conservation is conserved through out the whole journey for the x-axis because no net force.
So mcgh+1/2 (mc+mb)vf^2=1/2 mc vi^2.
mc vi= (mc+mb)vf

Likes Cutter Ketch
rashida564 said:
Conservation of energy. At the highest point the velocity of the block will be equal to zero with respect to the block, so the only velocity will be the velocity of the block and the conservation is conserved through out the whole journey for the x-axis because no net force.
mc vi= (mc+mb)vf
That looks good. If you are not using Latex, maybe m, M are better than mc, mb. And, u, v instead of vi, vf.

Mate how can I write the way you write with symbols and fractions. @PeroK

rashida564 said:
Help is here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/

And, when you reply you get some Latex which you can copy and paste. E.g.

##m_cgh + \frac 1 2 (m_c + m_b) v_f^2 = \frac 1 2 m_c v_i^2##

rashida564 said:
mc vi= (mc+mb)vf

That’s it! Now solve these two equations for h.

rashida564 said:
You should try to use LaTeX, but if you find that too bothersome at least use the pulldowns at the top of the editing area. The ... pulldown gives subscript and superscript, while the √x pulldown gives lots of special symbols and characters.

@haruspex can I use word then snapshot my working?

rashida564 said:
@haruspex can I use word then snapshot my working?
We discourage that because it makes it hard for us to quote individual lines in our posts. Maybe ok if you number all your equations.

Likes rashida564
Alternate method:

At the moment the small block reaches its maximum height its velocity relative to the large block is zero. This is typically what happens in an inelastic or "collide and coalesce" collision and the energy loss in such a case is given by the expression: $$ ΔE = ½ μ Δv^2 $$ where: $$μ=\frac{m_cm_b}{m_c+m_b}$$ ... the 'reduced mass' of the colliding bodies and Δv is their (initial) relative velocity ##v_c## in this instance. But here the collision energy is not lost - it is simply converted to potential energy and therefore you can equate the above energy expression to the standard expression for PE.

1. What is a collision between a block and a curved up-ramp surface?

A collision between a block and a curved up-ramp surface is when a block or object comes into contact with a curved ramp that is sloped upwards. This can occur in physics experiments, simulations, or real-life scenarios.

2. How does the curvature of the ramp affect the collision?

The curvature of the ramp affects the collision by influencing the path and speed of the block as it moves along the ramp. A curved ramp can cause the block to accelerate or decelerate, depending on the direction of the curve.

3. What factors determine the outcome of the collision?

The outcome of the collision between a block and a curved up-ramp surface depends on several factors, including the mass and velocity of the block, the angle and curvature of the ramp, and the presence of any external forces such as friction or air resistance.

4. How can the collision between a block and a curved ramp be calculated or predicted?

The collision between a block and a curved ramp can be calculated or predicted using principles of mechanics and mathematics, such as Newton's laws of motion and the equations of motion. Computer simulations and experiments can also be used to study and predict the outcome of the collision.

5. What is the significance of studying collisions between blocks and curved ramps?

Studying collisions between blocks and curved ramps is important for understanding the behavior of objects in motion and the forces that act upon them. It can also provide insights into real-life scenarios, such as car accidents or the movement of objects on inclined surfaces.