Collision avoidance for moving robotic limbs

• Thread starter kolleamm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collision
In summary, you can use a contact sensor to detect when an object is in the way and then stop the motor.
kolleamm
Let's say you have a low force hobby robotic arm that's supposed to perform a certain movement, but it should stop if there is an object in the way. What sort of sensors/solutions exist for this?

I've considered force sensors but I'm not sure if that's the best idea since I'd have to place many sensors all over the arm.

Any suggestions are welcome, thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You could detect current changes in your actuators that imply a load increase from a collision. Mind you that needs a collision to be able to detect it, so not much good at the "avoiding" part...

If actual avoidance is the goal something like ultrasonic or optical would be the first ones that spring to mind.

Likes hmmm27, berkeman, russ_watters and 1 other person
essenmein said:
You could detect current changes in your actuators that imply a load increase from a collision. Mind you that needs a collision to be able to detect it, so not much good at the "avoiding" part...

If actual avoidance is the goal something like ultrasonic or optical would be the first ones that spring to mind.
Avoidance would be nice but not strictly necessary. Your first suggestion with current changes might just work. Thanks!

Passive Infrared Sensors (PIR) are common and inexpensive. But I don't think they are meant for close-in range.

You should specify your required range. Maximum range an object can be detected. Minimum distance between the arm and the object.

Likes kolleamm
anorlunda said:
Passive Infrared Sensors (PIR) are common and inexpensive. But I don't think they are meant for close-in range.

You should specify your required range. Maximum range an object can be detected. Minimum distance between the arm and the object.
I'm fairly flexible on the range, something like 5cm and up would work.
I'm not super picky with the precision, I just need something I can use and then modify the system around that capability.

There are many sources. This one https://www.digikey.com/products/en/sensors-transducers/proximity-sensors/524?k=proximity claims to have over 6000 proximity sensors. Types are capacitive, inductive, infrared, optical, ultrasonic.

In part it depends on the kinds of objects. For example, PIR works best detecting warm blooded animals. Accuracy, range and power consumption vary. Look through the spec sheets.

Likes kolleamm
anorlunda said:
There are many sources. This one https://www.digikey.com/products/en/sensors-transducers/proximity-sensors/524?k=proximity claims to have over 6000 proximity sensors. Types are capacitive, inductive, infrared, optical, ultrasonic.

In part it depends on the kinds of objects. For example, PIR works best detecting warm blooded animals. Accuracy, range and power consumption vary. Look through the spec sheets.
Super! What sensor would work for things such as walls and other solid non living objects?

My first thought would be to use an IR Reflective type sensor to detect when the detector is moving close to some object. I would use IR to avoid lots of extraneous light coming out of the robot arm parts, and I would modulate the IR transmissions (and demodulate the RX signals) to improve noise immunity. This page from Digikey (of all places) is a pretty good tutorial on the different kinds of IR sensors and their uses:

https://www.digikey.com/en/articles/techzone/2012/feb/using-infrared-technology-for-sensing

upload_2019-2-14_11-42-0.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-14_11-42-0.png
    upload_2019-2-14_11-42-0.png
    20.4 KB · Views: 399
Bump strips ?

Long ago, I built a free-roaming robot from an electronics magazine's series. IIRC, it had both drive-load sensing, using a hand-wound 'current' coil over a reed relay for L & R motors, and a bump strip at front. That was a 'curly bracket' of half-inch phosphor-bronze spring, plus a couple of 'whiskers' behind which 'grounded' to the back of spring upon impact. Which, incidentally, also told the robot which way to reverse...

I later 'rolled my own' using a toy tank chassis, the spring recurved between front idlers...

Now, my wife's 'Big Name' chair-lift has a slim 'bump bar' in sides of the foot-rest, plus internal motor-load monitoring...

IIRC, there are many off-the-shelf types of bump strip for guarding industrial machinery and power-assisted doors. Whatever, remember it has to work much faster than your servo drivers cook, lest their 'magic smoke' escape. Exploding power MOSFETS are NOT funny...

Likes kolleamm
Nik_2213 said:
Bump strips ?
That's what I was leaning towards - a contact sensor.
upload_2019-2-16_4-41-31.png

The blue lines are wires that are connected to a switch, normally open, that close when the wire hits an object.
What the software does with the signal is up to the user - stop the motor, go in reverse, go slow, activate the load sensing routine, etc
The ring would ne connected to multiple switches for 360 degree contact sensing.
A ring could be put on the end of the wires also for 360 degrees..

I imagine contact sensing would be simpler to set up firstly, to flesh out the routines that one might need, and then move up to other sensors after this is down pat .

Patent #000000001

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-16_4-41-31.png
    upload_2019-2-16_4-41-31.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 403
Likes kolleamm

Related to Collision avoidance for moving robotic limbs

1. What is collision avoidance for moving robotic limbs?

Collision avoidance for moving robotic limbs is a technique used in robotics to prevent collisions between robotic limbs and other objects or obstacles in the environment. It involves using sensors and algorithms to detect potential collisions and adjust the movement of the robotic limbs to avoid them.

2. How does collision avoidance work?

Collision avoidance for moving robotic limbs works by using sensors, such as cameras, lidar, or ultrasonic sensors, to detect objects or obstacles in the environment. These sensors provide information about the distance, size, and location of the objects. Algorithms then use this information to calculate the best path for the robotic limbs to move without colliding with any objects.

3. What are the benefits of collision avoidance for moving robotic limbs?

The main benefit of collision avoidance for moving robotic limbs is safety. By preventing collisions, it reduces the risk of damage to the robotic limbs and other objects in the environment, as well as potential harm to humans working in the same space. It also increases the efficiency and accuracy of robotic movements, as collisions can cause delays and errors in tasks.

4. What are the challenges of implementing collision avoidance for moving robotic limbs?

One of the main challenges of implementing collision avoidance for moving robotic limbs is the complexity of the algorithms needed to accurately detect and avoid collisions. These algorithms must be able to process large amounts of data in real-time and make quick decisions to prevent collisions. Additionally, the sensors used for collision detection may be limited in their range or accuracy, which can also pose challenges.

5. How is collision avoidance for moving robotic limbs used in real-world applications?

Collision avoidance for moving robotic limbs is used in a variety of real-world applications, including manufacturing, healthcare, and transportation. In manufacturing, it is used to prevent collisions between robotic arms and other equipment or workers. In healthcare, it can be used in surgical robots to avoid damaging delicate tissues. In transportation, it is used in self-driving cars to prevent collisions with other vehicles or pedestrians.