Collision and Momentum of Blocks

In summary, the collision between block A and block B is an elastic collision because momentum is conserved and kinetic energy is also conserved. The velocity of block B after the collision can be calculated using the equation MVi+5MVi=MVf+5MVf, which results in Vf=Vi/5.
Tim Wellens

Homework Statement

If block A slides with a velocity into block B which is at rest, and after this collision block B ends up with a velocity and block A is stationary after. Block B has a mass of 5m.

Would this type of collision be an elastic collision or inelastic? How do you know?

What would the velocity of block B be after the collision?

Homework Equations

M1V1i+M2V2i=M1V1f+M2V2f

The Attempt at a Solution

I[/B]'m pretty sure this is an elastic collision problem because it seems as though the momentum is conserved and transferred from block A to block B.

This is what i did to figure the velocity of block b after the collision-
MVi+5MVi=MVf+5MVf
MVi+0=0+5MVf
MVi=5MVf
Vf=Vi/5

But I'm not sure if this is right or what I could do differently..

Physics news on Phys.org
Tim Wellens said:
I'm pretty sure this is an elastic collision problem because it seems as though the momentum is conserved
Momentum will certainly be conserved, but that does not make it elastic. In an elastic collision KE is conserved.
Can you work out whether KE is conserved?
Tim Wellens said:
Vf=Vi/5
Yes, although the question statements reads as though you left something out. Should it say "If block A slides with a velocity v into block B...", or somesuch? If so, you should use the same name for the given velocity in the answer.

Related to Collision and Momentum of Blocks

What is meant by collision and momentum of blocks?

Collision refers to the interaction between two or more objects where their motion is affected. Momentum is a measure of an object's tendency to keep moving in the same direction at the same speed. In the context of blocks, this refers to the transfer of energy and motion during a collision between two blocks.

What factors affect the collision and momentum of blocks?

The mass, velocity, and direction of motion of the blocks are the main factors that affect their collision and momentum. Other factors such as the surface materials and the angle of collision can also play a role.

How is momentum conserved during a collision between blocks?

According to the law of conservation of momentum, the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. This means that in a collision between blocks, the total momentum before and after the collision will be the same.

What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

In an elastic collision, both the total momentum and the total kinetic energy of the system are conserved. In an inelastic collision, only the total momentum is conserved, and some of the kinetic energy is lost as heat or sound.

How can the collision and momentum of blocks be calculated?

The collision and momentum of blocks can be calculated using the principles of conservation of momentum and energy. This involves considering the initial and final velocities of the blocks, as well as their masses and the type of collision (elastic or inelastic).