Colliding, spinning particles: Can it be solved?

In summary: Overall, the equations provided and these assumptions should be enough to determine the result of the collision. In summary, the equations and assumptions mentioned can help you solve for the result of a collision between two rotating particles with known initial conditions and no complicating factors.
raisin_raisin
Hi, I am trying to work out the result of a collision between two rotating particles if you knew all initial speeds, initial rotation speeds, masses etc. There is no friction or anything complicating.

COM: m1v1initial + m2v2initial = m1v1final + m2v2final.

COAM: I1w1initial + I2w2initial = I1w1final + I2w2finall.

COE: m1v21initial + m2v22initial + I1w21initial + I2w22initial = I1w21final + I2w2finall + m1v21final + m2v22finall.

So 3 equations for 4 unknowns . Am I missing anything obvious? Is there another equation I could use was thinking trying to use L= r x mv ? Is there any assumptions I could make to simplify things?

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
The equations you have given are sufficient to solve the problem. However, if you want to simplify it further, you could make assumptions such as the particles remaining in contact during the collision, or that the particles have equal mass and/or equal moment of inertia. This would reduce the number of unknowns and allow you to solve for the final velocities and angular velocities more easily. Additionally, you can use the conservation of energy and momentum to further simplify the problem.

I would say that yes, it is possible to solve for the result of a collision between two rotating particles if you have all the initial information and there are no complicating factors such as friction. The equations you have listed are correct and can be used to solve for the final velocities and angular velocities of the particles after the collision.

However, it is important to note that these equations assume certain things, such as the particles being rigid bodies and the collision being perfectly elastic. In reality, there may be other factors at play that could affect the outcome of the collision. Additionally, it may be difficult to obtain all of the necessary initial information in a real-world scenario.

In terms of simplifying the equations, you could make certain assumptions, such as the particles having equal masses or equal initial angular velocities, which would reduce the number of unknowns and make the problem easier to solve.

Another approach could be to use conservation of momentum and conservation of energy in the center of mass frame, which would involve only two equations and may be easier to solve. Additionally, using the equation L = r x mv, as you suggested, could also be helpful in solving for the final angular velocities.

In conclusion, while it is possible to solve for the result of a collision between two rotating particles, it may require making certain assumptions and simplifications in order to obtain a solution.

Related to Colliding, spinning particles: Can it be solved?

1. What is the purpose of colliding and spinning particles in scientific research?

Colliding and spinning particles allows scientists to study the fundamental building blocks of matter and understand the laws that govern the universe. This research can lead to new discoveries and advancements in various fields such as particle physics, cosmology, and materials science.

2. How do scientists collide and spin particles in a controlled environment?

Scientists use large machines called particle accelerators to collide and spin particles at incredibly high speeds. These accelerators use electromagnetic fields to accelerate particles to nearly the speed of light and then collide them in a controlled environment.

3. What are the potential risks associated with colliding and spinning particles?

There are minimal risks associated with colliding and spinning particles in controlled environments. However, there is a small possibility of radiation exposure for scientists working with these particles. Additionally, there is always a risk of equipment malfunction or accidents, but stringent safety protocols are in place to minimize these risks.

4. Can colliding and spinning particles help us understand the origins of the universe?

Yes, colliding and spinning particles can provide valuable insights into the origins of the universe. By recreating the conditions of the early universe, scientists can study the behavior of particles and energy at the tiniest scales and potentially uncover new information about the Big Bang and the evolution of our universe.

5. How do scientists analyze the data from colliding and spinning particles?

Scientists use various detectors and instruments to analyze the data produced from colliding and spinning particles. This data is then processed and interpreted using complex mathematical models and simulations. Collaborations between scientists from different fields are often necessary to fully understand the data and its implications.