College location, networking, internships and finding a job

In summary, it is important to attend a college that not only provides a solid education, but also offers opportunities for internships and connections that can lead to job opportunities in different locations. Talking to alumni can also give valuable insight into the potential of each institution. It is also important to remain flexible and open to changes in order to achieve your goals.
Alex Moran
One thing besides the importance of education that I've always had drilled into my head is that I need to leave Ohio after college. My parents would probably kill me if I settled down here.

That said, I'm currently stuck choosing between Case Western Reserve and Purdue. I like Case better, but one thing that was brought up to me is that if I go to Purdue, I'll get internships that'll lead me out of Ohio, but Case will probably leave me with Cleveland based internships. What I'm wondering is how much of an impact this will have on my ability to settle down where I want to. Right now, the idea of the pacific northwest is very appealing to me, as it has been for a while, and my girlfriend has also wanted to live there (though that really has nil effect as I realize that us both of us are in high school and sill could change a TON and whatnot)

That said, I'm really thinking that after college (I'm currently leaning twoards Civil engineering, which means grad school and the P.E. exam as well since I want to have a good job that pays well) I'll want to get a job like 3K miles away or so. But I'm not sure where, and having options is VERY important to me.

That said, what do you people think of this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you do not mind relocating from your current location, attend the institution that will offer you an excellent balance of education, experience, and skills necessary to accomplish your goals while allowing you to remain flexible to changes around you.

Converse with civil engineering alumni from both institutions to get a sense of what each institution has to offer and how alumni took advantage of those opportunities.

Related to College location, networking, internships and finding a job

1. How important is the location of a college for networking and internships?

The location of a college can play a significant role in networking and internships. Being in a larger city or near a major hub of your desired industry can provide more opportunities for networking and internships. However, with the rise of virtual internships and online networking platforms, location is becoming less of a barrier for these opportunities.

2. How can I network while in college to increase my chances of finding a job?

One of the best ways to network while in college is to get involved in clubs, organizations, and events related to your desired industry. Attend career fairs and alumni events, and connect with professionals on LinkedIn. Building relationships and staying in touch with your network can greatly increase your chances of finding a job after college.

3. How do internships benefit my job search after college?

Internships provide hands-on experience and allow you to apply your knowledge in a real-world setting. They also give you the opportunity to network and make connections in your desired industry. Employers often value internship experience when hiring, as it shows that you have practical skills and are familiar with the industry.

4. What resources are available for finding internships and jobs?

Most colleges have career centers that offer resources such as job boards, resume and cover letter help, and networking events. Online job search engines and company websites are also great resources for finding internships and jobs. Additionally, networking with professionals in your desired industry can lead to potential job opportunities.

5. Is it necessary to have an internship in college to find a job after graduation?

While having an internship can certainly increase your chances of finding a job after college, it is not always necessary. Many employers also value relevant coursework, extracurricular activities, and leadership experience. It's important to build a well-rounded resume and showcase your skills and experiences in a way that is appealing to potential employers.