Opinion on Theory of Everything: Is There a Possibility?

In summary, the atheist thinks that if humans knew everything there was to know about science, they would be equal to or even better than God. However, the laws of motion and gravity are only approximately correct, so humans will never be able to completely understand everything.
General_Relativity19
any opinions on this? i don't think there will be a theory of everything, there's so much in physics that still needs to be discovered. Newton's Laws of motion and gravity, Einstein's theory of relativity, these are backbone scientific discoveries, we can't just disrgard them as false cause they work. I've seen websites, which say they've finally got proof to explain the universe, but how though? there's loads of aspects, gravity, time etc. sorry if i sound rough, but I am expressing my opinion.

Physics news on Phys.org
Fair enough, I will show my opinion.

If you assume there is a unique creator of the universe
If we know everything there is to know about science, we would know as much as God, and hence be God, which is completely impossible, therefore no we will never learn everything.

For all the Atheist-minded thinkers...
Human prgoress would continue...and eventually the human race would someday understand everything, but not any time soon. Throughout the ages fools have stated that "we know everything there is to know about science", someone had the nerve to tell that to Einstein prior to his discovery of relativity!

But no matter what your frame of thought, humans are no where near knowing everything, and quite frankly, in my opinion it will never happen.

General_Relativity19 said:
...Newton's Laws of motion and gravity, Einstein's theory of relativity, these are backbone scientific discoveries, we can't just disrgard them as false cause they work.

Actually, this is not true. Newton's Laws of Motion and Gravity do NOT work. If they did, then Relativity would have to be wrong. You can't have them both.

We always think we're so close, but we'll never really know will we? ... the universe won't tell us if we're wrong unless we look very closely...

A frog jumping half the distance to something, then half of half, then half of that... comes to mind.. so close yet so infinitely far.

limit to infity comes to my mind Alk
or like half-lives of an elelment,

gokul, why don't they work?

Newton's laws of motion and gravity are only approximately correct.

According to Newton's laws of motion, an object experiencing a continuous constant force will accelerate uniformly, and it's velocity will increase indefinitely. This is wrong. The special Theory of Relativity requires that no object can be accelerated past the speed of light. However, for the speeds that we are used to, Newton's Laws work pretty darn well.

For other such reasons (gravitational field of an object is affected by the motion of the object) General Relativity says that Newton's version of gravity is reasonably accurate, but can't help you to calculate the curving of light reflected off Mercury by the Sun, and such forth.

1. What is the theory of everything?

The theory of everything is a hypothetical framework that aims to explain all physical aspects of the universe, including the fundamental forces and particles that govern it. It is often referred to as the ultimate goal of physics and has been a topic of interest for many scientists and philosophers.

2. Is there a possibility of a theory of everything?

While there is currently no definitive theory of everything, many scientists believe that it is possible to discover a unified theory that can explain all physical phenomena. However, it is also important to acknowledge that the concept of a theory of everything is still a subject of debate and there is no guarantee that it will ever be fully achieved.

3. How would a theory of everything impact our understanding of the universe?

If a theory of everything were to be discovered, it would greatly impact our understanding of the universe by providing a comprehensive explanation of all observable phenomena. It would also allow for a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws that govern the universe and potentially lead to technological advancements.

4. What are some challenges in developing a theory of everything?

There are several challenges in developing a theory of everything, including the complexity of the universe and the limitations of current scientific theories and technology. Additionally, there are philosophical and conceptual challenges, such as the nature of time and the role of consciousness, that must be addressed.

5. How do scientists approach the search for a theory of everything?

Scientists approach the search for a theory of everything through various methods, including theoretical frameworks, mathematical models, and experiments. They also collaborate with colleagues and share their findings through scientific publications and conferences. Additionally, advancements in technology, such as the Large Hadron Collider, have allowed for further exploration of fundamental particles and forces.