Collapsed Nuclei: Possible or Not?

• Thread starter SkepticJ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nuclei
In summary, the conversation discussed the possibility of collapsed nuclei, as mentioned in a paper by P. Haensel, et al. and how it relates to the concept of strangelets. It was mentioned that Bodmner hypothesized two types of collapsed nuclei, one with strangeness and one without, but all attempts to detect or produce strangelets have failed. A recent mass measurement of a neutron star has ruled out most exotic types, but it is unclear how this relates to the paper on collapsed nuclei.
SkepticJ
Are collapsed nuclei, like are discussed in http://prd.aps.org/abstract/PRD/v4/i6/p1601_1" still thought to be possible?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting. When I googled, I got a google books link that let me look at this book: Neutron stars: Equation of state and structure, P. Haensel, Paweł Haensel, A. Y. Potekhin, D. G. Yakovlev. Apparently Bodmner had two separate types that he hypothesized, one with strangeness and one without. The WP article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strangelet may be helpful. All attempts to detect or produce strangelets have failed.

bcrowell said:
Interesting. When I googled, I got a google books link that let me look at this book: Neutron stars: Equation of state and structure, P. Haensel, Paweł Haensel, A. Y. Potekhin, D. G. Yakovlev. Apparently Bodmner had two separate types that he hypothesized, one with strangeness and one without. The WP article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strangelet may be helpful. All attempts to detect or produce strangelets have failed.
A detailed mass measurement of a heavy neutron star has ruled out most exotic types
http://blogs.physicstoday.org/update/2010/11/heaviest-neutron-star.html
Neat stuff.

I don't really understand how closely this relates to the "collapsed nuclei" paper, as I can only see the abstract right now, and it is unclear to me what they mean.

Last edited by a moderator:
bcrowell said:
Apparently Bodmner had two separate types that he hypothesized, one with strangeness and one without.

What about the kind without strangeness, still possible under current understanding? '71 was ages and revolutions ago in particle physics.

Related to Collapsed Nuclei: Possible or Not?

1. Can nuclei actually collapse?

Yes, nuclei can collapse under certain conditions. This phenomenon is known as nuclear collapse or nuclear implosion, and it occurs when the strong nuclear force, which holds the nucleus together, is overcome by other forces.

2. What causes nuclei to collapse?

Nuclei can collapse due to extreme pressure or temperature, or when they are bombarded with high-energy particles. In addition, some theories suggest that quantum fluctuations in the fabric of space-time may also play a role in nuclear collapse.

3. Is nuclear collapse a natural or artificial process?

Nuclear collapse can occur naturally, such as in the core of a dying star, or it can be artificially induced in a controlled environment, such as in nuclear reactors or weapons. However, the conditions required for nuclear collapse are not easily achievable and require advanced technology.

4. What are the potential consequences of nuclear collapse?

If a nuclear collapse were to occur, the release of energy would be immense and could potentially lead to a catastrophic event, such as a nuclear explosion. In addition, the collapse of nuclei could also result in the formation of new elements with different properties.

5. Is there any evidence of nuclear collapse happening in our universe?

There is currently no direct evidence of nuclear collapse occurring in our universe, as it is a rare and short-lived event. However, scientists have observed similar phenomena, such as supernovae, which involve the collapse of a star's core. Additionally, experiments at particle accelerators have provided some evidence for the possibility of nuclear collapse.