Cold air vs hot air in turbochargers

In summary: Increasing the pressure will cause more molecules to hit the sensor per second which will give you a higher reading for pressure... But the molecules will hit the sensor at the same rate no matter how much pressure you have, the only thing that changes is how many hit the sensor in a second.So the more pressure you have, the more accurate the reading will be... But as long as the temperature is the same, the pressure will give you the same reading as the amount of air you have.
darkdrifter04
Okay so i have a project, and this is pretty basic physics but I'm kind of confused. so for those of you how a turbo work, please help me out here. okay so:
pV = nKT in thermodynamics.
so in a turbo, as air enters the compressor turbine, n and k stay constant correct? however as air enters the system, volume decreases when it enters the turbine, and as a result pressure increases. however, since volume decreases, shouldn't temperature increase since there is less space and thus molecules collide more? i don't understand it, because in the equation pv=nkt, if n and k are constant, then an increase in pressure or an increase in volume should mean an increase in temperature. doesn't make sense, can someone clarify that?

also i was wondering why, when pressure of the air increases, density of the air increases as well, is there an equation? for example like 15 psi is less dense than 20 psi of boost. why is that? (if you think your helping me too much, is there a name for it?)

thanks!

Likes Jim garc
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't get what you don't get. The compressed air gets hot, that's why you use intercoolers.

Besides, it is R, not K.

As for density - mass and number of moles are directly proportional, you should be able to calculate density using PV=nRT and mass=n*molar mass formulas.

In your case V is smaller and P becomes bigger, however temperature would only stay the same if the product of P times V stays the same. This, however does not happen. P increases much more than V decreases and thus temperature increases

Should air in turbochargers follow the adiabatic rule P V1.4 = nKT, like it does in other air compressors? If air did not heat as it is compressed, diesel engines would not work.

To see why the temperature in a gas rises due to compression you need the first law of thermodynamics:

dU = dQ + dW

In words: the incremental increase in internal energy U equals the heat added (dQ) and the work done to the system (dW). Now, since for an ideal gas it can be shown that dU = C_v * dT (C_v is the heat capacity at constant volume, dT the temperature increase). Furthermore, let's assume no heat is added to the system. And dW = -p dV, thus the work done equals the change in volume times it's pressure, so:

C_v * T = -p dV

For compression dV is negative and so the increase in temperature is positive, the air gets hotter.

so Arjan82 answerd the increase in temp question.

let me clarify some statements about the turbo. there is no "compressor turbine". a turbo has a compressor on one side and a turbine on the other side. the turbine removes energy from the hot moving exhaust and transfers that energy over to the compressor wheel wherby the compressor wheel compresses the air.

and to answer the density question, density is directly related to the mass and volume. mass has a direct relationship to the # of molecules via molecular weight. if you know the density then for any given volume the mass and # of molecules can be calculated, etc.

darkdrifter04 said:
also i was wondering why, when pressure of the air increases, density of the air increases as well, is there an equation? for example like 15 psi is less dense than 20 psi of boost. why is that? (if you think your helping me too much, is there a name for it?)

thanks!

The relationship you are looking for is [tex] p = \rho R T [/tex], called the gas law which is valid for air in by far most situations. p is pressure [tex] \rho [/tex] is density, R is a constant and T is temperature in Kelvin. This formula simply states that when pressure increases, density increases as wel provided that the temperature doesn't increase too much as well.

Let's define too much. If you would pump the tire of your car, you are raising the pressure from 1 bar to, say 2 bar, to keep things easy. Say you would like to keep the density the same, in that case you should double the temperature. Keep in mind the temperature is in Kelvin! Thus on a normal day it could be like 293 degrees kelvin, to keep the density the same you would need to raise the temperature to 586 degrees kelvin! or 313 degrees Celsius! or 595 degrees Fahrenheit! (which ever system you prefer). This is quite a big increase in temperature to raise the air in a tire to just two bar.

So for your question, 15psi boost is less dense than 20 psi boost, provided that the temperature is about the same... To see the link between pressure temperature and density: pressure is nothing but a measure for how hard and how often an air molecule hits some wall. Temperature increases the kinetic energy and thus the average speed of the randomly moving molecules and density has an influence on how often a molecule is likely to hit that wall. Higher density means more molecules in the same room and thus the wall will be hit more often.

Last edited:
Borek said:
Besides, it is R, not K.

darkdrifter04 has got the formula right. R=N_a * k / M , with N_a is Avogadro's number and M the (average) molecular weight. n in darkdrifter04 stands for the number of molecules. In your formula PV=nRT, it stands for number of moles.

So it should be nkT, not nKT :smile:

Borek said:
So it should be nkT, not nKT :smile:

Okok, k stands for the Boltzmann constant, should not be capitalized indeed :)

oooo got it, thanks all :)

Related to Cold air vs hot air in turbochargers

1. Does cold air or hot air improve turbocharger performance?

Both cold air and hot air can improve turbocharger performance, but in different ways. Cold air is denser and contains more oxygen, which can lead to better combustion and therefore more power. Hot air, on the other hand, can improve turbocharger efficiency by reducing spool time and increasing exhaust gas velocity.

2. How does cold air affect turbocharger function?

Cold air is denser and contains more oxygen than hot air. This allows for more efficient combustion in the engine, resulting in increased power output. In addition, cold air helps to reduce the temperature of the compressed air from the turbocharger, which can help prevent heat-related damage to the engine components.

3. Can hot air damage a turbocharger?

Hot air can potentially damage a turbocharger if it is too hot. Turbos are designed to operate within a certain temperature range, and if the air entering the turbo is too hot, it can lead to overheating and damage. This is why many turbocharged vehicles have intercoolers to cool down the compressed air before it enters the engine.

4. Is it better to use a cold air intake or a hot air intake for a turbocharged engine?

It ultimately depends on the specific vehicle and its setup. In general, a cold air intake will provide better performance gains as it allows for denser, oxygen-rich air to enter the engine. However, if the hot air intake can be designed and placed in a way that reduces spool time and increases exhaust gas velocity, it can also improve turbocharger performance.

5. Can I switch between cold air and hot air intakes for my turbocharged engine?

Yes, many aftermarket turbocharger kits offer the option to switch between cold air and hot air intakes depending on the desired performance. However, it is important to ensure that the engine is tuned properly for the specific intake being used to avoid any potential damage or performance issues.