Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Col(a), row(a)

Petrus

Feb 21, 2013
Hello,

in exercise 11, I get b is not and w is, but the answer key says b is and w is not...? I don't understand...have I misunderstood or is the answer key wrong?

petrus11.jpg

Regrds,
\(\displaystyle |\pi\rangle\)

Evgeny.Makarov

MHB Math Scholar
Jan 30, 2012
I don't know who/what facit is, but he/she/it is correct. Perhaps if you post your solution, we can discuss it.

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
Petrus, I suggest if you are going to upload images that you use some sort of image editing software to rotate the image so that it is the right side up for ease of reading. :D

ZaidAlyafey

MHB Math Helper
Jan 17, 2013
I don't know who/what facit is, but he/she/it is correct. Perhaps if you post your solution, we can discuss it.
Somehow he is referring by facit to the textbook.

Petrus

Feb 21, 2013
Petrus, I suggest if you are going to upload images that you use some sort of image editing software to rotate the image so that it is the right side up for ease of reading. :D
What do you mean by rotate? The picture seem nice to me

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
Yes, the facit refers to the answer key (I have edited the post), and I have rotated, cropped, re-sized and uploaded the new image. (Sun)

edit: Petrus, on my computer, the image needed to be rotated clockwise 90 degrees.

Petrus

Feb 21, 2013
If we start with col(a)

after row reduce we got 1 0 -1|3
----------------------------0 1 2|-1
that means we got infinity soloution, if we set \(\displaystyle x_3=t\) we got \(\displaystyle x_2=-1-2t\) and \(\displaystyle x_1= 3+t\) it indeed got soloution so it is in col(A)
Right?

Regards,

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, the facit refers to the answer key (I have edited the post), and I have rotated, cropped, re-sized and uploaded the new image. (Sun)

edit: Petrus, on my computer, the image needed to be rotated clockwise 90 degrees.
Strange and thanks for doing that! I did not know it needed to be rotated cause it showed correctly for me:S That is strange

Evgeny.Makarov

MHB Math Scholar
Jan 30, 2012
in exercise 11, I get b is not and w is, but the answer key says b is and w is not...?

If we start with col(a)

after row reduce we got 1 0 -1|3
----------------------------0 1 2|-1
that means we got infinity soloution, if we set \(\displaystyle x_3=t\) we got \(\displaystyle x_2=-1-2t\) and \(\displaystyle x_1= 3+t\) it indeed got soloution so it is in col(A)
Right?
Yes, but in post #1 you said that $b$ is not in $\text{col}(A)$.

Petrus

Feb 21, 2013
Yes, but in post #1 you said that $b$ is not in $\text{col}(A)$.
That'S cause I got actually wrong number in My matrice somehow.. Sorry My bad and now I correctly Solved it:)
Regards,

Last edited:

Deveno

MHB Math Scholar
Feb 15, 2012
(3,2) = 3(1,1) + (-1)(0,1). This proves b is in col(A).

On the other question if a(1,0,-1) + b(1,1,1) = (a+b,b,b-a) = (-1,1,1), we must have

b = 1, leading to:

a+1 = -1 --> a = -2
1-a = 1 --> a = 0.

Since -2 is not 0 (unless you are in a field of characteristic two, and then there is no "3"), this is impossible.

Answer keys are evil...let me explain why: the point of learning math is not to get "answers" but rather, to be confident the answers you obtain are correct. Not only doesn't the "real world" come with an answer key, but one has only logical reasoning as a test of one's sanity. If one's only experience with riding a bike is with training wheels, one does not know how to ride a bike. Also, answer keys can be erroneous, and proof by authority is not a valid mathematical method.