Is Time a Vector? Exploring the Mathematical Aspects

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of whether time is a vector or tensor, and considers different mathematical and physical aspects of the concept. The speaker suggests that time could be considered a tensor of rank two and invites comments and discussion from those with a strong understanding of its mathematical complexities.
aiglet_2000
it is the question which has baffled me since i took vector analysis.
later somewhere i read that r.p.feynman too tried to dwell in it.i have post this thread in physics forum a year before and there were many replies. but not with that mathematical presicion .enpugh of background, now my question is-
is time a vector , or more specifically a tensor?
a bit of mathematical description might be fruitful-
a vector is also a tensor, when i say time is a tensor i meant a tensor of rank more than or equal to rank one. a vector is tensor of rank one. and a scaler is of rank zero. as we need three set of independent scalers to define a vector in ordinary geometry(or four-in space time or minkowskien geometry), we need 3*3 or nine independent scalers to define a tensor of rank two completely(or we need 3 tensors of rank one(vector) to define a tensor of rank two).
lets first discuss aspect of this question pertinent to physics.

WE COULD SAY TIME IS A VECTOR AND ITS DIRECTION IS IN DIRECTION OF INCREASING ENTROPY, WHICH U USUALLY CALL THE FUTURE(BUT THAT TUTOLOGY IS RATHER INCORRECT, FUTURE IS DEFINED BY TIME ITSELF , WE CANNOT USE FUTER TO DEFINE TIME BACK, WHAT WE COULD USE IS ANOTHER PHYSICAL QUANTITY WHICH IS INDEPENDENT OF TIME)
SECOND LAW OF THERMODYNAMICS INSURES US THAT WE HAVE THIS QUANTITY
AN ALTERNATE DIRECTION MAY BE THAT OF IN WHICH TOTAL ENERGY REMAINS SAME, THIS DEFINITION WOULD PROVE INEXISTENCE OF NEGETIVE TIME VECTOR OR IN RATHER ORDINARY WORDS TIME FLOWING BACK.
BUT ENEERGY DOESNT CHANGE SO WE WONT HAVE A +VE DIRECTION FOR TIME VECTOR.
SO WE WILL USE A TERM RELATED WITH ENERGY WHCIH CHANGES,IT IS ENTROPY WHICH MEASURE CONVERTION OF USEFUL ENERGY INTO UNUSEFUL .OR WE MAY SAY IT MEASURES DEGRRE OF DISORDER(ITS A PRECISE STATISTICAL STATEMENT)
SO WE HAVE DIRECTION OF TIME.
NOW SOME MATHEMATICAL ASPECTS-
WHEN WE SAY SOMETHING IS A VECTOR WE MEANT BY IT-
1)IT FOLLOWS LAWS OF VECTOR ADDITION
2) IT COULD BE FRACTIONED INTO INDEPENDENT COMPONENTS- WHICH OBEYS PRINCIPAL OF SUPERPOSITION
THEORY OF GR ASSURES US THAT WE COULD HAVE COMPONENTS OF TIME, A DIRECTION OF TIME LITTLE INCLINED TO THAT OF FORWERD DIRECTION MEANS A BIT SLOW PROGRESS IN TIME, WHICH IS SUPPORTED BY SPECIAL RELATIVITY.
ON THIS POINT I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE UR COMMENTS , I WORKED ON IT A BIT, AS A PASSTIME, AND I THINK TIME COULD BE PROVED AS A TENSOR OF RANK TWO.
PEOPLE WHO ASSUMES THMESELVES AS PHYLOSPHERS OF PHYSICS NEED NOT COMMENT, THIS SUBJECT IS FOR THOSE WHO UNDERSTAND ITS MASTHEMATICAL INTRICACIES.
PROBLEM WITH PHYLOSRS OF PHYSICS IS THAT THEY NEVER HAD ENOUGH MATHEMATICS TO HAVE TANGIBLE GRASP OVER PHYSICS.
ON THIS POINT I INVITE UR COMMENTS WHICH MAY PROVIDE A PUSH IN +VE DIRECTION TO UNDERSTANDING OF THIS QUESTION
GOODNIGHT/HAVE A NICE DAY

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would interpret this in the basic sense in which one can interpret individual components of a vector as a vector "in that direction". For example, we can think of the vector <3, 2, 1> as the sum of 3 vectors <3, 0, 0>+ <0, 2, 0>+ <0, 0, 1> or 3i+ 2j+ k- the "x- component" represents a vector in the x direction.

Certainly any "event" is a four vector- x, y, z, and t- and that implies vectors in each of those directions.

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is typically represented by an arrow in a graph or diagram.

2. How is time represented as a vector?

Time is often represented as a vector by using a coordinate system, with one axis representing the chronological order of events and the other representing the duration of time. This allows for the measurement of time in a specific direction and with a specific magnitude.

3. What are the mathematical implications of time being a vector?

The idea of time being a vector has significant implications in fields such as physics and engineering. It allows for the use of vector operations, such as addition and subtraction, to analyze and model time-related phenomena.

4. Is time always considered a vector in science?

No, time is not always considered a vector in science. While it can be useful to represent time as a vector in certain situations, such as in motion or change over time, it is not always necessary to do so and depends on the specific context and problem being studied.

5. How does the concept of time as a vector relate to the concept of time dilation in Einstein's theory of relativity?

In Einstein's theory of relativity, time dilation refers to the phenomenon of time passing at different rates for different observers. The concept of time as a vector allows for the mathematical representation and analysis of this phenomenon, as well as its implications for the measurement of time in different reference frames.