Coin Rolling Up Incline, no mass given?

In summary, the problem involves a coin with a diameter of 3.40 cm rolling up a 27.0° inclined plane with an initial angular speed of 55.0 rad/s without slipping. The mass of the coin is not given, but it can be solved for using potential energy and angular kinetic energy equations. The final answer for the distance rolled up the inclined plane is 0.0491 meters.
splinter
Coin Rolling Up Incline, no mass given!?

1. [SFHS99 8.P.46.] A coin with a diameter of 3.40 cm rolls up a 27.0° inclined plane. The coin starts with an initial angular speed of 55.0 rad/s and rolls in a straight line without slipping. How far does it roll up the inclined plane?

Having some troubles with this problem, since it doesn't give the mass of the object. I have no problems doing this type of problem when a mass is given, I just use the formula a = (mg sin0)/(m+(I/R^2)), then convert that to angular acceleration, and use angular kinematic equations to find the delta theta, and convert that into a meter value by multiplying the radius by the angular displacement. That doesn't work here though, since I have no mass! Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to use potential energy and angular kinetic energy to get the answer. Don't worry about the mass, it'll be canceled in the end of your calculation.

Used KEi = PEf, solved for KEi and PEf, got KEi = .2186M, and PEf = 9.81MH. Since KEi = PEf, .2186M = 9.81MH, the mass on each side cancel out, so .2186 = 9.81H, then solve for H, i got .0223 meters, then divide that by sin(27) to get the value of the hypotenuse, which gave me .0491 meters for my answer, which the online homework is telling me is wrong! Sorry if this didn't make much sense I'm rushed in typing it.

Don't forget that the coin has more than just rotational kinetic energy in the beginning. It also has some translational kinetic energy in the beginning.

--J

Your KEi is wrong. The I should be 1/2mr^2+mr^2

Related to Coin Rolling Up Incline, no mass given?

1. What is the purpose of studying coin rolling up an incline without given mass?

The purpose of studying coin rolling up an incline without given mass is to understand the principles of rotational motion and how it applies to objects with different shapes and masses. This experiment allows us to observe and measure the motion of a coin without knowing its mass, which can help us make predictions about how other objects will behave.

2. How does the angle of the incline affect the motion of the coin?

The angle of the incline affects the motion of the coin by changing the balance of forces acting on it. As the angle increases, the component of the force of gravity pulling the coin down the incline also increases, causing the coin to accelerate faster. This also affects the rotational motion of the coin, as a steeper incline will cause the coin to rotate more quickly.

3. What is the relationship between the velocity and acceleration of the coin?

The velocity and acceleration of the coin are directly related, as acceleration is the rate of change of velocity. As the coin rolls up the incline, its velocity increases due to the force of gravity acting upon it. This results in a positive acceleration. As the coin reaches the top of the incline and begins to roll back down, its velocity decreases, resulting in a negative acceleration (deceleration).

4. How does friction affect the motion of the coin?

Friction can have a significant impact on the motion of the coin. In this experiment, friction between the coin and the incline can cause the coin to slow down and potentially stop before reaching the top. This can also affect the rotational motion of the coin, as friction can cause the coin to spin more slowly or unevenly. Additionally, friction can also cause the coin to deviate from its expected path, especially if the surface of the incline is not smooth.

5. What other factors can affect the motion of the coin?

Aside from angle and friction, other factors that can affect the motion of the coin include the shape and size of the coin, the surface of the incline, and the initial velocity of the coin. These factors can influence the forces acting on the coin and can result in different outcomes for the experiment. Additionally, external factors such as air resistance and imperfections in the coin or incline can also affect the motion of the coin.