Coherency matrix of partially polarized light incomplete?

In summary, the electric field of quasi-monochromatic, partially polarized light can be expressed by the following random process: u_{x}(t,\bar{x})=u_{x}(t,\bar{x})\bar{e}_{x}+u_{y}(t,\bar{y})\bar{e}_{y}where u_{x}(t,\bar{x})=\Psi_{x} e^{i(\bar{k}\cdot\bar{x}-\omega t)}u_{y}(t,\bar{x})=\Psi_{y} e^{i(\bar
Wox
The electric field of quasi-monochromatic, partially polarized light can be expressed by the following random process (Goodman, Statistical optics)
[tex]\bar{E}(t,\bar{x})=u_{x}(t,\bar{x})\bar{e}_{x}+u_{y}(t,\bar{y})\bar{e}_{y}[/tex]
[tex]u_{x}(t,\bar{x})=\Psi_{x} e^{i(\bar{k}\cdot\bar{x}-\omega t)}[/tex]
[tex]u_{y}(t,\bar{x})=\Psi_{y} e^{i(\bar{k}\cdot\bar{x}-\omega t)}[/tex]
where [itex]\Psi_{x}[/itex] and [itex]\Psi_{y}[/itex] are radom phasor sums which are circular complex Gaussian random variable. The joint statistics of [itex]u_{x}=a+bi[/itex] and [itex]u_{y}=c+di[/itex] describe the polarization state. Knowing that [itex]E(u_{x})=E(u_{y})=0[/itex], the covariance matrix of these two complex is given by
[tex]C=\begin{bmatrix}
E(aa)&E(ac)&E(ab)&E(ad)\\
E(ca)&E(cc)&E(cb)&E(cd)\\
E(ba)&E(bc)&E(bb)&E(bd)\\
E(da)&E(dc)&E(db)&E(dd)
\end{bmatrix}=\begin{bmatrix}
E(aa)&E(ac)&0&E(ad)\\
E(ac)&E(cc)&E(bc)&0\\
0&E(bc)&E(aa)&E(bd)\\
E(ad)&0&E(bd)&E(cc)
\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
This matrix has [itex]6[/itex] free parameters. However, one often states that the polarization is determined by the coherency matrix
[tex]J=\begin{bmatrix}
E(u_{x}u_{x}^{\ast})&E(u_{x}u_{y}^{\ast})\\
E(u_{y}u_{x}^{\ast})&E(u_{y}u_{y}^{\ast})
\end{bmatrix}=\begin{bmatrix}
2E(aa)&E(ac)+E(bd)+i(E(bc)-E(ad))\\
E(ac)+E(bd)-i(E(bc)-E(ad))&2E(cc)
\end{bmatrix}
[/tex]
which has only [itex]4[/itex] free parameters because two pairs of free parameters of [itex]C[/itex] are combined in two free parameters in [itex]J[/itex]. So we lost 2 degrees of freedom. Does this mean that [itex]E(ac)=E(bd)[/itex] and [itex]E(bc)=-E(ad)[/itex] or does this mean that the coherency matrix doesn't contain all information on the polarization state?

Science news on Phys.org
Your notion is slightly different than what I am familiar with, but you seem to be (re)discovering the difference between the Stokes vector/Mueller matrix form of optics, which is based on stochastic equations, and the Jones form of optics, which is based on deterministic equations. That is, the Jones calculus is good for highly coherent light (monochromatic, pure polarization state, etc), while the Mueller calculus is valid for partially polarized light.

You can always transform the Jones calculus to the Mueller calculus, but cannot always do the converse: randomly polarized light cannot be expressed in the Jones calculus.

Does that help?

Thanks for your suggestion. However, the coherency matrix definitely treats polarized, unpolarized and partially polarized radiation, just as the Mueller matrix does (and unlike the Jones matrix). For example the coherency matrix of unpolarized radiation is
[tex]
J=\begin{bmatrix}
\frac{I}{2}&0\\
0&\frac{I}{2}
\end{bmatrix}
[/tex]
I'm not sure whether the Mueller matrix contains the same information as the coherency matrix or as the covariance matrix, as I'm not that familiar with Mueller calculus. Any idea?

As for stochastic vs. deterministic equations: the expression for the electric field contains random processes, so that makes it stochastic.

Wolf's 'Introduction to the Theory of Coherence and Polarization of Light' has a chapter on the 2x2 correlation matrix/coherency matrix/polarization matrix. This is indeed equivalent to the Stokes vector and Mueller matrix representation. Wolf doesn't explicitly convert one to the other but says the information is 'treated in many publications'...?

I would say that the coherency matrix of partially polarized light is incomplete because it does not contain all the information about the polarization state. While the coherency matrix does have fewer free parameters than the covariance matrix, it still does not fully describe the polarization state of the light. This is because the coherency matrix only considers the first and second moments of the electric field, while higher moments may also be necessary to fully characterize the polarization state.

Additionally, the fact that the coherency matrix loses two degrees of freedom compared to the covariance matrix suggests that there may be correlations between the different components of the electric field. This means that the coherency matrix may not accurately represent the true polarization state of the light.

In conclusion, while the coherency matrix is a useful tool for describing partially polarized light, it is not complete and may not provide a complete understanding of the polarization state. Further analysis and consideration of higher moments may be necessary for a more complete characterization.

Related to Coherency matrix of partially polarized light incomplete?

1. What is a coherency matrix of partially polarized light?

The coherency matrix of partially polarized light is a representation of the polarization properties of light that is not completely polarized. It contains information about the degree of polarization, orientation of the polarization ellipse, and the phase relationship between the orthogonal components of the light.

2. How is a coherency matrix of partially polarized light measured?

A coherency matrix of partially polarized light can be measured using a spectroscopic ellipsometer, which measures the polarization state of light reflected or transmitted through a sample. The measured data is then used to calculate the elements of the coherency matrix.

3. What is the difference between a coherency matrix and a Jones matrix?

A coherency matrix contains more information about the polarization properties of light, including the degree of polarization and phase relationship between the orthogonal components. A Jones matrix only contains information about the amplitude and phase of the light.

4. How is a coherency matrix of partially polarized light used in research?

The coherency matrix is often used in research for characterizing the polarization properties of materials, such as in studies of liquid crystals, biological tissues, or optical coatings. It can also be used in polarization imaging techniques to enhance contrast and extract useful information from images.

5. Can a coherency matrix of partially polarized light be used to study natural light sources?

Yes, a coherency matrix can be used to study the polarization properties of natural light sources, such as the sun or stars. By analyzing the coherency matrix, researchers can gain insights into the polarization mechanisms of these sources and how they affect our perception of light.