Coefficients of wave function of a hybrid orbital

In summary, the problem involves determining the coefficients for a tetrahedral hybrid orbital, Ψ(sp3), with the given expression Ψ(sp3) = aΨ(2s) + aΨ(2px) + aΨ(2py) + aΨ(2pz). The coefficient, a, can be determined by normalizing the wavefunction. The other 3 hybrids can be determined by imposing orthonormality. It is also important to note that the coefficient for this specific hybrid is +1/2.
Samuelriesterer
Assuming the 2s and 2p wavefunctions are normalized, determine the coefficients in the hybrid orbital:

Ψ(sp3) = aΨ(2s) + aΨ(2px) + aΨ(2py) + aΨ(2pz) (the other 3 hybrids have – signs for some of the coefficients.

I have no clue where to start. I know this is a tetrahedral hybrid orbital but can't seem to grasp this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are the other 3 hybrids completely specified for you? If so, you should impose orthonormality to determine the coefficients for this wavefunction.

No this is the whole problem. I keep thinking it must be entirely simple but I guess it's not. (My teacher has a way of omission to the point of ridiculous)

Well, you've written down a fairly specific expression with the same coefficient ##a## in front of each term. Assuming that's given, then ##a## should be fixed by normalizing the wavefunction. You should verify that the 4 hybrid orbitals are orthonormal to complete the exercise.

If I assume orthonormality and the other 3 hybrids have some coefficients as negative, then am I right to conclude that the coefficients for this one are all +1/2?

Yes, normalizing this requires ##a=1/2##.

Related to Coefficients of wave function of a hybrid orbital

What are coefficients of wave function of a hybrid orbital?

Coefficients of wave function of a hybrid orbital represent the relative contribution of each atomic orbital to the overall hybrid orbital. They determine the shape and orientation of the hybrid orbital.

How are coefficients of wave function of a hybrid orbital calculated?

Coefficients of wave function of a hybrid orbital are calculated using mathematical equations that take into account the contributions of each atomic orbital and the relative energy levels of the orbitals.

What is the significance of coefficients of wave function of a hybrid orbital in molecular bonding?

Coefficients of wave function of a hybrid orbital play a crucial role in determining the strength and type of molecular bonding. They determine the overlap of orbitals between atoms, which is necessary for bonding to occur.

Can coefficients of wave function of a hybrid orbital change over time?

Yes, coefficients of wave function of a hybrid orbital can change over time. This can happen due to changes in the electronic environment of the molecule or due to external factors such as temperature or pressure.

How do coefficients of wave function of a hybrid orbital differ from atomic orbital coefficients?

Coefficients of wave function of a hybrid orbital differ from atomic orbital coefficients in that they represent a combination of different atomic orbitals, while atomic orbital coefficients represent the contribution of a single atomic orbital to the overall wave function of an atom.