Coefficients of friction proportional?

In summary: However, in summary, the coefficient of rolling friction is dependent on the radius of the sphere and materials in contact, while the coefficient of kinetic friction is solely dependent on the materials in contact. Adding additional surface area to a block will not affect the kinetic friction. There is no specific correlation between the coefficients of rolling and kinetic friction.
zpatenaude37
If you were to calculate work done by rolling friction of a wood sphere rolling down an incline and compare it to work done by friction of a wood block sliding down an incline, are the values for the coefficient of rolling and kinetic friction somehow proportional to each other?

This is for a project and I want to be able to show whether or not the additional surface area of a block affects the work done by friction. I have calculated values for the coefficients of kinetic and rolling friction from the data I have that I got using video software but I don't think I can correlate the two.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, according to the Mechanical Engineering Handbook i read a few weeks ago, rolling friction depends on the radius of sphere and materials in contact, i.e. larger sphere usually has smaller friction coefficient.
While kinetic friction is purely dependent on the materials in contact. For you idea of having additional surface area for a block simply will not affect the kinetic friction.

So i would say rolling friction and kinetic friction coefficient does not have a specific correlation.

zpatenaude37 said:
If you were to calculate work done by rolling friction of a wood sphere rolling down an incline and compare it to work done by friction of a wood block sliding down an incline, are the values for the coefficient of rolling and kinetic friction somehow proportional to each other?

This is for a project and I want to be able to show whether or not the additional surface area of a block affects the work done by friction. I have calculated values for the coefficients of kinetic and rolling friction from the data I have that I got using video software but I don't think I can correlate the two.
When you speak of "rolling friction", are you referring, for instance, to the force between a car tires and the road when the brakes are applied at the maximum short of causing a skid? Or are you referring to the retarding force from the tires as a car coasts to a stop with well-oiled bearings and no brakes? The former is that I would call "static friction". The latter is that I would call "rolling resistance".

Yes rolling resistance.
For example:
at the start of rolling down an incline the total energy in the system is
mgy
for a block the final is:
1/2mv^2
for a sphere is:
1/2mv^2 + 1/2Iw^2

initial energy - final energy = thermal energy = work done by friction = mu*n*d

For the sphere my data showed mu = .11
For a cylinder of the same material mu = .11
For the block sliding mu = 0.46

Is there any way to compare the block to the cylinder and sphere to say its proportional?

With just two values you cannot show anything about proportionality.

Related to Coefficients of friction proportional?

What are coefficients of friction proportional?

Coefficients of friction proportional are numerical values that represent the relationship between the force required to move an object over a surface and the weight of the object.

What are the different types of coefficients of friction proportional?

There are two main types of coefficients of friction proportional - static and kinetic. Static coefficients refer to the force needed to initiate movement, while kinetic coefficients refer to the force needed to maintain movement.

How are coefficients of friction proportional calculated?

Coefficients of friction proportional are calculated by dividing the force required to move an object by the weight of the object. This can be done using a formula or by conducting experiments.

What factors can affect coefficients of friction proportional?

Coefficients of friction proportional can be affected by various factors such as the roughness of the surface, the weight of the object, the type of material of the object and the surface, and the presence of lubricants.

Why are coefficients of friction proportional important in science?

Coefficients of friction proportional are important in science because they help us understand the relationship between force and weight in different situations. They also play a crucial role in engineering and design, as they help determine the best materials and surfaces for different applications.