Coefficients of Fourier series for periodically driven oscillators

In summary, the conversation discusses an oscillator driven by a triangular periodic force and the long-term motion x(t) is found under certain parameters. The Fourier coefficients are also discussed, which are needed to plot the sum of the first four terms in the series. The conversation also touches on using the program Matlab to graph the results. The discussion also delves into finding the driving force's Fourier coefficients, which can be calculated using a piecewise function for the triangle wave. Finally, the correct equation for the Fourier coefficients is determined to be fn = 4/((n*pi)^2).
Oijl

Homework Statement

An oscillator is driven by a triangular periodic force (if that makes sense), which has period [tex]\tau[/tex] = 2.

(a) Find the long-term motion x(t), assuming the following parameters: natural period [tex]\tau[/tex][naught] = 2 (that is, [tex]\omega[/tex][naught] = π), damping parameter ß = 0.1, and maximum drive strength fmax = 1. Find the coefficients in the Fourier series for x(t) and plot the sum of the first four terms in the series for 0 <= t <= 6.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For starters: the Fourier coefficients, An (A sub n), I see in my book the equation for. It has in it f sub n, omega naught, omega, beta, and n. n is easy, beta is given, omega naught is given, but omega and f sub n confuse me. I would have thought, that since omega = (2*pi)/(tau), that, with a period of 2, omega would equal pi. But that doesn't seem correct, and, also, I don't know how to find f sub n.

Further: if anyone knows the program Matlab well enough, could you share how I would be able to graph this? I only first began my relationship with the program last night (early this morning, really).

If what I'm asking doesn't make sense, sorry. Chalk it up to my sleeplessness.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the fn's are the Fourier coefficients for the driving force.

Yes, the driving force f(t), which is f(t) = sum{fn*cos(wnt)}

But I'm really bad at this stuff and I don't know how to know the fn's.

OK, you're only using cosine terms, so the triangle wave must be symmetric about t=0. (If it's not, you'll need to use both the sine and cosine terms.)

You need to calculate

[tex]f_n = \frac{2}{\tau}\int_{-\tau/2}^{\tau/2} f(t)\cos(n\omega t)dt[/tex]

where [itex]\omega=2\pi/\tau[/itex]. If you're having problems doing this integral, post what you have so far or a more specific question so we can see where you're getting stuck.

Hmmm... so f(t) over that interval will be fmax, ehe? So:

fn = ((8*fmax*n*pi)/(tau^2))sin((2*n*pi*∆tau)/(tau))
So that in this case, where
tau = 2
fmax = 1
∆tau =? 1,
fn = (2*pi*n)sin(pi*n), so
fn = 0 for any n because of the sin function.

But they're not all zero.

Oijl said:
Hmmm... so f(t) over that interval will be fmax, ehe?
No, that would be a constant function, not a triangle wave. You first need to find a function of t that describe the triangle wave.

Is that so? But that would be, like,
f(t) = t
for 2n+1 <= t < 2n+2, where n is an integer, and
f(t) = -t
for 2n <= t < 2n+1

So should I just work it out differently for different n's?

You'll have to define it in a piecewise way, but you only have to define it from [itex]t=-\tau/2[/itex] to [itex]t=+\tau/2[/itex], because that's the interval over which you are integrating.

I suggest you sketch it so you get the correct equations for the two pieces.

I don't get it. The answer is that

fn = 4/((n*pi)^2),

but I can't get to that point from this.

What do you have for f(t)?

Related to Coefficients of Fourier series for periodically driven oscillators

1. What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical representation that decomposes a periodic function into a sum of sinusoidal functions with different frequencies and amplitudes. It is commonly used to analyze and model periodic signals in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.

2. What are coefficients of Fourier series?

Coefficients of Fourier series refer to the constants that determine the amplitude and frequency of each sinusoidal function in the series. These coefficients are calculated using a process called Fourier analysis, which involves integrating the original function with respect to time.

3. How are coefficients of Fourier series used in analyzing periodically driven oscillators?

In the context of periodically driven oscillators, the coefficients of Fourier series are used to determine the amplitude and frequency of the oscillations. This information can then be used to study the behavior and stability of the oscillator, and make predictions about its future motion.

4. Are the coefficients of Fourier series unique for each periodic function?

Yes, the coefficients of Fourier series are unique for each periodic function. This is because the values of the coefficients depend on the specific characteristics of the function, such as its periodicity, symmetry, and amplitude.

5. Can Fourier series be used for non-periodic functions?

No, Fourier series are only applicable to periodic functions. However, non-periodic functions can be approximated using a Fourier series if they can be represented as a sum of periodic functions with different frequencies. This is known as the Fourier transform.