Coefficients in wave function for potential step

In summary, the conversation is about understanding the derivation of the wave function for a potential step in a textbook. The attached photo is referenced and one boundary condition is discussed. The question is raised about why B1 cannot also be eliminated using the same reasoning. The conversation ends with the realization that there is no imaginary number in the second wave function.
Nick O
Edit: I forgot to add the picture, and I'm having trouble adding it from Tapatalk. I'll add it soon.

I'm trying to understand the derivation in my textbook of the wave function for a potential step. The derivation reaches the step shown in the attached photo, which I am fine with.

However, the book then says:

One boundary condition is that the wave function ψ2(x) must remain finite, which means that the coefficient B2=0.

Why can't we use this same reasoning to eliminate B1 as well? Clearly the B1 term increases without bound as x approaches negative infinity, exactly as the B2 term does as x approaches positive infinity.

And yet, B1 is later solved in terms of k1, k2, and A1. Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't add this to my previous post through Tapatalk. Sorry!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1423187251955.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423187251955.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 478
Never mind, my coffee must have been spiked or something. There is no imaginary number in the second wave function.

Related to Coefficients in wave function for potential step

1. What is a coefficient in a wave function for a potential step?

A coefficient in a wave function for a potential step is a numerical value that indicates the amplitude or strength of a particular component of the wave function. It represents the probability of finding a particle at a specific energy level in a given region of space, and is used to calculate the overall probability of a particle passing through a potential step.

2. How are coefficients calculated in a wave function for a potential step?

Coefficients in a wave function for a potential step are calculated using the boundary conditions at the step. These conditions include the continuity of the wave function and its derivative at the boundary, as well as the conservation of probability. The resulting equations can be solved to determine the coefficients for each energy level.

3. What happens to the coefficients when the potential step changes?

When the potential step changes, the coefficients in the wave function will also change. This is because the boundary conditions will be different, leading to different equations and solutions. The new coefficients will reflect the new probability of finding a particle at each energy level in the modified potential step.

4. Can coefficients in a wave function for a potential step be negative?

Yes, coefficients in a wave function for a potential step can be negative. This indicates that the wave function has a phase shift of 180 degrees, and the probability of finding a particle at that energy level is negative. However, when calculating the overall probability, the negative sign will be squared, resulting in a positive value.

5. How do coefficients affect the behavior of particles passing through a potential step?

The coefficients in a wave function for a potential step determine the probability of a particle passing through the step and the likelihood of finding it in a particular region of space. Higher coefficients correspond to a higher probability of finding a particle at a specific energy level, while lower coefficients indicate a lower probability. This can affect the overall behavior of particles as they interact with the potential step.