Coefficient of Static Friction with Acceleration

In summary, to find the deceleration of a car on an inclined road, one must first find the normal force by using the equation F(normal) = mg * cosθ, where θ is the angle of the incline. Then, the coefficient of static friction can be used to find the force of static friction, F(static) = μ * F(normal). This force can then be used with the equation ƩF = ma to find the deceleration of the car.
PeachBanana

Homework Statement

A car can decelerate at -4.90 m/s^2 without skidding when coming to rest on a level road.
What would its deceleration be if the road were inclined at 11° uphill? Assume the same static friction coefficient.

Homework Equations

Force of Static Friction / Normal Force = coefficient of static friction
F (normal) - mg *sin 11° = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

(4.90m/s^2)/(9.8 m/s^2) = 0.5

I didn't know the mass so I just left it out.
F - mg *sin 11° = 0
F (normal) = mg * sin 11°
F = (9.8 m/s^2) * sin 11°
Normal force = 1.86 m/s^2

I know those are acceleration units so something more than likely went wrong there.

Force of static friction = (0.5)(1.86 m/s^2)
Force of Static Friction = 0.93 m/s^2

Physics news on Phys.org
PeachBanana said:
F (normal) - mg *sin 11° = 0
I don't understand this equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

(4.90m/s^2)/(9.8 m/s^2) = 0.5
Good.

To find the acceleration, use ƩF = ma. What's the net force when going uphill?

(Hint: What are the parallel and perpendicular components of the weight?)

Doc Al - Sorry, the first one was a little unclear. I was attempting to find the normal force by saying the normal force equals the y component of the weight because there is no acceleration in the "y" direction. I think I should have used cosine instead of sine. Thank you for your advice.

PeachBanana said:
I think I should have used cosine instead of sine.
Exactly.

The deceleration of the car on a level road is -4.90 m/s^2 and the normal force is 9.8 m/s^2. When the road is inclined at 11° uphill, the normal force decreases due to the component of the car's weight acting in the direction of the incline. Using the equation for the force of static friction (F=μN), we can calculate the coefficient of static friction (μ) as 0.93 m/s^2 / 9.8 m/s^2 = 0.095. This means that the car's deceleration on the inclined road would be -0.095 * 9.8 m/s^2 = -0.931 m/s^2. Therefore, the car would decelerate at a slower rate on the inclined road compared to the level road due to the decrease in normal force caused by the incline.

Related to Coefficient of Static Friction with Acceleration

What is the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction is a measure of the amount of force required to overcome the static frictional force between two surfaces in contact. It is denoted by the symbol μs and is a dimensionless quantity.

What factors affect the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction is affected by the nature of the surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, and the normal force between the two surfaces. It also varies with temperature and can be influenced by the presence of any lubricants or contaminants.

How does the coefficient of static friction relate to acceleration?

The coefficient of static friction is directly related to the acceleration of an object on a surface. As the acceleration increases, the coefficient of static friction also increases, indicating that more force is needed to overcome the static friction and cause the object to move.

What is the difference between static and kinetic friction?

Static friction refers to the force that must be overcome to set an object in motion, while kinetic friction is the resistance that an object experiences while it is in motion. The coefficient of static friction is typically higher than the coefficient of kinetic friction between two surfaces.

How is the coefficient of static friction measured?

The coefficient of static friction can be determined experimentally by measuring the force required to start an object in motion on a surface and dividing it by the normal force between the two surfaces. It can also be calculated using the equation μs = Fs/N, where Fs is the static frictional force and N is the normal force.