Coefficient of static friction and banking of roads

In summary, static friction involves in this?since the object is moving.Why it doesn't have kinetic friction?It is static in the radial direction.
hyunxu
Homework Statement
Why banking of roads or tracks depend on the co-efficient of static friction?
Relevant Equations
co-efficient of static friction = ?
Could you please explain the term 'co-efficient of static friction'?

why do the banking of roads or tracks depend of co-efficient of static friction?and not on the co-efficient of kinetic friction?

Physics news on Phys.org
hyunxu said:
Problem Statement: Why banking of roads or tracks depend on the co-efficient of static friction?
Relevant Equations: co-efficient of static friction = ?

why do the banking of roads or tracks depend of co-efficient of static friction?and not on the co-efficient of kinetic friction?
It generally takes a greater lateral force to start an object sliding across a surface than it does to maintain a constant motion. Thus, the coefficient (ratio of required force to normal force) of static friction is usually greater than that of kinetic friction.
In the case of a car on a banked turn, we don't want the car to start skidding. As long as the tyres are making rolling contact there is no relative motion between the surfaces and static friction applies.

hyunxu said:
Problem Statement: Why banking of roads or tracks depend on the co-efficient of static friction?
Relevant Equations: co-efficient of static friction = ?

On the banking road, if there was no friction it would start moving outwards, towards the outer ends of the circle since there is no force pushing against it's motion. Since the car is not moving outwards, it is static in that direction.

So, the friction has to do with the centripital force for banked turns. The coefficient of static friction applies since the banked turn is to keep the vehicle from changing it's radius while in the turn. It is static in the radial direction.

• Skeptical
Likes hyunxu
doggydan42 said:
On the banking road, if there was no friction it would start moving outwards,
Not necessarily. It depends on the speed, radius of turn and angle of bank. It could go the other way.

• Skeptical
Likes hyunxu
haruspex said:
Not necessarily. It depends on the speed, radius of turn and angle of bank. It could go the other way.
Yes that definitely makes since. I think I simplified it when I was answering it for myself before typing my answer. Typically, I think of a situation when you are moving at a high enough speed and does not banked too steeply, that the car goes outwards. That's just the first situation I think of.

Thanks for pointing out my mistake. I need to work on conceptualizing more possibilities.

Likes hyunxu
haruspex said:
It depends on the speed, radius of turn and angle of bank. It could go the other way.
why does static friction involve in this?since the object is moving.Why it doesn't have kinetic friction?

doggydan42 said:
It is static in the radial direction.
Please explain this. How could you say it is static?
So far I can imagine that the car is moving , it isn't at rest.Hence there's kinetic friction.
From which frame of reference it is static?

hyunxu said:
So far I can imagine that the car is moving , it isn't at rest.Hence there's kinetic friction.
IMG_20190802_091216.jpg

Maybe that photo makes it more clear?
It has to do with the direction of the centripetal acceleration, but along the surface of the banked turn.

• Skeptical
Likes hyunxu
doggydan42 said:
View attachment 247489
Maybe that photo makes it more clear?
It has to do with the direction of the centripetal acceleration, but along the surface of the banked turn.
My question is simple. What's the role of static friction here?

hyunxu said:
As I wrote in post #2, sliding is relative motion of surfaces in contact. In rolling motion, the point where the wheel contacts the other surface is instantaneously stationary relative to that surface.

Likes hyunxu
haruspex said:
As I wrote in post #2, sliding is relative motion of surfaces in contact. In rolling motion, the point where the wheel contacts the other surface is instantaneously stationary relative to that surface.
Thank you I got it!

doggydan42 said:
It is static in the radial direction.
Friction is either static or kinetic. It cannot be static in one direction and kinetic in another. That is why it is dangerous to brake hard while taking a corner - the combination of the braking force vector (in the direction of travel) and the (lateral) cornering force exceeds the maximum static frictional force; skidding begins, and the kinetic frictional force is directly opposed to the relative velocity of tyre on road, so has little or no radial component.

Likes hyunxu
haruspex said:
so has little or no radial component.
Could you explain me? What is this radial component?(sorry because I'm absolute beginner but I want to learn it anyway)

hyunxu said:
Could you explain me? What is this radial component?(sorry because I'm absolute beginner but I want to learn it anyway)
It might help to plug in some variables.
Suppose you are turning a corner radius r at steady speed v on a level surface. The acceleration you need is centripetal, v2/r. Suppose the coefficient of static friction is sufficient to handle this, i.e. is at least v2/(rg).
You now apply the brake to the extent that, if going straight, you would achieve acceleration a (negative) in the direction of velocity. If still no skidding, the frictional force on the tyres needs to be mv2/r laterally (i.e. normal to the velocity) and ma parallel to the velocity. If the net force, ##m\sqrt{a^2+\frac{v^4}{r^2}}## exceeds ##\mu mg## you will skid (and the wheels are likely to lock).
So now you have kinetic friction, and that acts opposite to the direction of relative motion of the surfaces. If the wheels have locked then that means opposite to the velocity of the vehicle. There's a bit of moderation in direction at individual wheels since the vehicle is still rotating, but that cancels out for the car as a whole. So the kinetic frictional force does decelerate the car, but there is no longer a lateral component, so you travel in a straight line.

• Wow
Likes hyunxu

Related to Coefficient of static friction and banking of roads

1. What is the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction is a dimensionless quantity that measures the amount of resistance between two surfaces in contact when there is no relative motion between them. It is represented by the symbol μs and is dependent on the materials and surface conditions of the two surfaces.

2. How is the coefficient of static friction measured?

The coefficient of static friction can be measured experimentally by using a device called a friction tester. This device applies a known force to the two surfaces in contact and measures the amount of force required to keep them from moving. The coefficient of static friction can then be calculated by dividing the applied force by the weight of the object.

3. What is the relationship between the coefficient of static friction and the banking of roads?

The coefficient of static friction plays a crucial role in determining the safe speed for vehicles to travel on a banked road. The banking angle of a road is designed to provide a centripetal force that is equal to the force of gravity acting on the vehicle. This is achieved by adjusting the angle of the road and the coefficient of static friction between the tires and the road surface.

4. How does the coefficient of static friction affect the stability of vehicles on banked roads?

The coefficient of static friction is directly related to the stability of vehicles on banked roads. A higher coefficient of static friction means that there is more resistance between the tires and the road surface, making it easier for the vehicle to maintain its speed and direction without slipping or sliding. A lower coefficient of static friction can lead to loss of control and potential accidents on banked roads.

5. What factors can affect the coefficient of static friction on banked roads?

The coefficient of static friction on banked roads can be affected by various factors, such as the type of road surface material, the weight and size of the vehicle, the speed at which the vehicle is traveling, and the condition of the road surface (i.e. wet or dry). Additionally, the coefficient of static friction can also be affected by external factors such as temperature and the presence of contaminants on the road surface.