Coefficient of Kinetic Friction from M, Angle, Accel.

In summary: I was getting a little lost myself. In summary, the box has been accelerating for 3.63 m/s due to the force of friction.
Flash70

Homework Statement

Physics1.jpg

m = 52kg
theta = 10.3deg
t = 5.8s
d = 3.63 m

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so here are my attempts. If they are way off, take it easy on me :). I am not very good at this. Am I missing negatives or am I way off on this? Are my trigs set up correctly?
Thanks for you help.

Try 1) ma = mg (sin10.3) - Umg(cos10.3)
Try 2)
ma = 52kg * (3.63/5.8^2)
mg = 52kg*9.8
mg(sin10.3)+ma = Force of friction
mg(cos10.3) = Force Normal
muk = force of friction / force normal

Physics news on Phys.org
Flash70 said:

Homework Statement

Physics1.jpg

m = 52kg
theta = 10.3deg
t = 5.8s
d = 3.63 m

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so here are my attempts. If they are way off, take it easy on me :). I am not very good at this. Am I missing negatives or am I way off on this? Are my trigs set up correctly?
Thanks for you help.

Try 1) ma = mg (sin10.3) - Umg(cos10.3)
Try 2)
ma = 52kg * (3.63/5.8^2)
mg = 52kg*9.8
mg(sin10.3)+ma = Force of friction
mg(cos10.3) = Force Normal
muk = force of friction / force normal

Try to break it down into simpler pieces.

If the box covers 3.63 m in 5.8 seconds, what acceleration has it had?

For that acceleration, what has been the net force on the 52 kg box.

Since the box is on 10.3 degree slope, what is the component of the weight force parallel to the slope? perpendicular to the slope?

What must be the size of the friction force in order to get the net force you got in step 2 ?

Using F = μR what must the coefficient of friction be. [remember R is the reaction force from the slope, which balances the weight component perpendicular to the slope.]

I hate to ask this but would it be possible for you to explain it in a different way?
For some reason I am not following what you are saying. I believe I have the answers to the first three questions you asked in my Try 2, but am kind of confused.

Sorry about that.

Flash70 said:
I hate to ask this but would it be possible for you to explain it in a different way?
For some reason I am not following what you are saying. I believe I have the answers to the first three questions you asked in my Try 2, but am kind of confused.

Sorry about that.

I described it the way I would do it.

Your answer was a mixture of formulas, with no indication of what you were planning to do with each step - that is why I couldn't comment directly on your work.

Ok I apologize for that. I solved for ma and mg in the beginning then just plugged those numbers into the formulas I wrote. It will appear like this:

509.6 * sin(10.3) + 5.61117 = 96.7288 force of friction
509.6 * cos(10.3) = 501.388 normal force
96.7288/501.388 = .1929

I feel as if the equation I was using in Try 1 may have been more on the money, but it is wrong. I used : ma = mg (sin10.3) - Umg(cos10.3)
5.61117 = (52kg*9.8)(sin10.3) - U(52kg*9.8*cos10.3)

Flash70 said:
Ok I apologize for that. I solved for ma and mg in the beginning then just plugged those numbers into the formulas I wrote. It will appear like this:

509.6 * sin(10.3) + 5.61117 = 96.7288 force of friction
509.6 * cos(10.3) = 501.388 normal force
96.7288/501.388 = .1929

I feel as if the equation I was using in Try 1 may have been more on the money, but it is wrong. I used : ma = mg (sin10.3) - Umg(cos10.3)
5.61117 = (52kg*9.8)(sin10.3) - U(52kg*9.8*cos10.3)

I think you acceleration figure is wrong.

You said ma = 52kg * (3.63/5.8^2)

You effectively have claimed a = s/t2 which means s = at2

That does not gel with one of the formulas s = ut + 0.5at2

You are absolutely right. I was stuck using the wrong thing from last chapter but I am so used to using it I couldn't recognize it!

Thank you Peter!

Related to Coefficient of Kinetic Friction from M, Angle, Accel.

1. What is the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is a measure of the amount of friction between two surfaces in contact when one of the surfaces is in motion.

2. How is the coefficient of kinetic friction calculated?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is calculated by dividing the force of kinetic friction by the normal force between the two surfaces.

3. What is the relationship between the coefficient of kinetic friction and the mass of an object?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is independent of the mass of an object. It only depends on the materials and surfaces in contact.

4. How does the angle between two surfaces affect the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is directly proportional to the angle between two surfaces. As the angle increases, so does the coefficient of kinetic friction.

5. Can the coefficient of kinetic friction change with acceleration?

Yes, the coefficient of kinetic friction can change with acceleration. It is affected by the force applied to the object and can decrease as acceleration increases.