Coefficient of friction on wood problem

In summary, the coefficient of starting friction for wood on wood is 0.55. Using the formula F=mMA, where F is the force needed to move a solid from rest, m is the coefficient of friction, M is the mass of the object, and A is the acceleration, the force of friction for a 3.5 kg wood block being pulled on a wood floor is 18.865N. However, there is confusion about the acceleration, as the next question involves a boulder being pushed on a surface with a coefficient of sliding friction of 0.85 and an acceleration of 0.20 m/s2. It is unclear if the accelerations in each question are in different directions.
airken

Homework Statement

the coefficient of starting friction for wood on wood is 0.55. What is the force of friction of a wood block of mass 3.5 kg being pulled on a wood floor?

Homework Equations

i think i use the formula F=mMA where F is the force needed to move a solid from rest, m=coefficient of friction, M=mass of object and A=acceleration.

The Attempt at a Solution

so... I'm confused as to what to use for acceleration. I think it's gravity, but not sure. F=.55(3.5)(9.8)=18.865N
is this correct?

my confusion gets worse as the next question is a boulder of mass 45 kg is pushed on a surface with a coefficient of sliding friction of 0.85. What force has to be applied to produce an acceleration of 0.20 m/s2?

i'm confused because it seems that the acceleration is in different directions in each question. am i using incorrect equations? incorrect accelerations? or both?

thanks in advance for the help

Physics news on Phys.org
The friction is how much the weight causes the block to stick.
So if you have a Cf of 0.55 then the force 'sticking' the wood down is 0.55 * the force downward (=weight)
So you work out the weight downward then the force needed to pull it along (or actually the force resiting your pulling it along) is 0.55 * this weigt

Related to Coefficient of friction on wood problem

1. What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a dimensionless value that represents the amount of resistance or friction between two surfaces in contact with each other.

2. How is the coefficient of friction calculated?

The coefficient of friction is calculated by dividing the force required to move an object over a surface by the weight of the object.

3. Why is the coefficient of friction important in the study of wood?

The coefficient of friction is important in the study of wood because it helps to determine the amount of force needed to move objects over wooden surfaces, which is crucial in fields such as engineering and construction.

4. How does the type of wood affect the coefficient of friction?

The type of wood can affect the coefficient of friction as different types of wood have varying surface textures and moisture content, which can impact the amount of friction between surfaces.

5. How can the coefficient of friction be reduced on wood surfaces?

The coefficient of friction on wood surfaces can be reduced by applying a lubricant or using a different material with a lower coefficient of friction, such as plastic or metal.