Coefficient of Friction on an Inclined Plane

In summary, the problem involves an 800N box on a 30 degree inclined surface, with a 200N force applied parallel to the surface. The maximum force that can be applied to the box before it starts sliding up the incline is 600N. This is determined by using the equation Fnet = Fapp - (Fparallel + Ffriction), and taking into account the maximum value of the static friction force, which is equal to the coefficient of friction (mu) multiplied by the normal force (N).
Bamshakalaka
The problem states: An 800N box rest on a surface inclined 30 degrees. If a force 200N parallel to the surface is applied, the box will not slide down the incline. Whats the greatest force that can be applied to the box before it starts sliding up the incline??

I know Fnorm=mg*cos theta Fnorm=692.8N
Is the mu=0.298 because Ffriction=mu*Fnorm ---> 200N=mu*692.8N
I also know Fparallel=mg*sin theta Fparallel= 400N
How do I find Fnet?
I don't know what to do from there! Can anybody help??! Please and thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Bamshakalaka, welcome to PF!
Bamshakalaka said:
The problem states: An 800N box rest on a surface inclined 30 degrees. If a force 200N parallel to the surface is applied, the box will not slide down the incline. Whats the greatest force that can be applied to the box before it starts sliding up the incline??

I know Fnorm=mg*cos theta Fnorm=692.8N
Is the mu=0.298 because Ffriction=mu*Fnorm ---> 200N=mu*692.8N
are you assuming that the 200N applied force is the friction force?
I also know Fparallel=mg*sin theta Fparallel= 400N
yes, correct.
How do I find Fnet?
If you look at all the forces acting parallel to the incline, you know that the 400N gravity force acts down the plane, and it is given that there is a 200N force applied up the plane, parallel to the incline. You are also given that the box does not slide; thus Newton 1 applies. So you have 400 down, 200 up, PLUS the max friction force, all three of which forces act parallel to the incline. So what's the friction force? Then determine what the applied max force must be to prevent motion up the plane, using that same value of friction force. Watch your plus and minus signs; the friction force opposes the direction of pending motion .

Thank you for the warm welcome! =)

What I'm confused about is the max friction force. How do i know what the max friction force is?

I kind of understand what you are saying so let me take a stab at it. If I use the Fnet=Fapp-(Fparallel+Ffriction) formula then Fnet would equal 0 because the box is not in motion yet. Fparallel is the 400N and Ffriction would be the 200N. Therefore 0=Fapp-(400N+200N) Fapp=600N.

So 600N is the greatest force that can be applied to the box just before it starts sliding up? Is that correct?

Thank you in advance for helping me! I really appreciate it!

Bamshakalaka said:
Thank you for the warm welcome! =)

What I'm confused about is the max friction force. How do i know what the max friction force is?

I kind of understand what you are saying so let me take a stab at it. If I use the Fnet=Fapp-(Fparallel+Ffriction) formula then Fnet would equal 0 because the box is not in motion yet. Fparallel is the 400N and Ffriction would be the 200N. Therefore 0=Fapp-(400N+200N) Fapp=600N.

So 600N is the greatest force that can be applied to the box just before it starts sliding up? Is that correct?

Thank you in advance for helping me! I really appreciate it!
Yes, you are correct. Remember that Ffriction (static) is less than or equal to (mu)N. It becomes equal to (mu)N (its max value) only when it is just about to start sliding. 200N is the max available static friction force here. For example, if the block were on a level table and you applied a 100N force, it wouldn't move, and the friction force would just be 100N for equilibrium.

Ohh i see. Thank you sooo much you have been such a great help! ^___^

Related to Coefficient of Friction on an Inclined Plane

What is the coefficient of friction on an inclined plane?

The coefficient of friction on an inclined plane is a measure of the resistance to motion between two surfaces in contact. It is represented by the symbol µ (mu) and is a unitless value that ranges from 0 to 1.

How is the coefficient of friction on an inclined plane calculated?

The coefficient of friction on an inclined plane can be calculated by dividing the force of friction by the normal force. The force of friction is equal to the coefficient of friction multiplied by the normal force.

What factors affect the coefficient of friction on an inclined plane?

The coefficient of friction on an inclined plane can be affected by several factors, including the type of surfaces in contact, the amount of force applied, and the angle of inclination.

How does the coefficient of friction on an inclined plane affect the motion of an object?

The coefficient of friction on an inclined plane directly affects the motion of an object by determining the amount of force needed to overcome the force of friction. A higher coefficient of friction means more force is required to move the object, while a lower coefficient of friction means less force is needed.

How can the coefficient of friction on an inclined plane be reduced?

The coefficient of friction on an inclined plane can be reduced by using lubricants or by using materials with lower coefficients of friction. Additionally, decreasing the angle of inclination can also reduce the coefficient of friction.