Coefficient of Friction [Needing Help]

In summary, the calculation for the average forward force necessary to maintain a constant forward velocity for a 500 Nt skater on ice skates with a kinetic coefficient of friction of 0.01 is 5 N. This was determined using the equation f = (Uk)(N), where f represents the forward force, Uk represents the kinetic coefficient of friction, and N represents the normal force. A diagram can also be used to illustrate this relationship, where the applied force (Fapp) is equal to the kinetic coefficient of friction (Uk) multiplied by the normal force (N).
pharmguy

Homework Statement

If the kinetic coefficient of friction between ice skates and ice is 0.01, what is the average forward force necessary for a 500 Nt skater to maintain a constant forward velocity?

Homework Equations

f = (Uk)(N)

The Attempt at a Solution

f = (Uk) (N)
f = (0.01) (500 Nt)
f = 5 Nt

Is this right? Just seems too simple. Can someone explain and walk me through this problem if I'm wrong.

Also I realized from a diagram I did in my head Fapp - f = 0
Fapp = f
Fapp = (Uk) (N)...right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your calculation to get 5 N looks correct to me!

Alright thanks a bunch.

Related to Coefficient of Friction [Needing Help]

1. What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the resistance to motion between two surfaces in contact. It is a dimensionless value that ranges from 0 to 1, with lower values indicating less resistance and higher values indicating more resistance.

2. How is the coefficient of friction calculated?

The coefficient of friction is calculated by dividing the force required to move an object over a surface by the weight of the object. This can be done using a variety of methods, such as a friction coefficient tester or by conducting experiments.

3. What factors affect the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction can be affected by a number of factors, including the type of materials in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, the temperature, and the presence of any lubricants or contaminants. Additionally, the coefficient of friction can vary depending on the speed and direction of motion.

4. Why is the coefficient of friction important?

The coefficient of friction is important because it helps us understand and predict how objects will move and interact with each other. It is used in various industries, such as manufacturing and engineering, to design and improve products and processes. It also plays a crucial role in safety, as a higher coefficient of friction can prevent slipping and sliding.

5. How can the coefficient of friction be reduced?

The coefficient of friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between the surfaces in contact. Polishing or smoothing the surfaces can also decrease the coefficient of friction. In some cases, changing the materials in contact or altering the surface roughness can also lower the coefficient of friction.