Coefficient of friction HELP please

In summary, the conversation is about a group's investigative project on inclined plane surfaces and the need for help in calculating the coefficient of friction of a toy car. The group is struggling with understanding the concept and applying equations such as Newton's second law and the relation between friction and normal force. The conversation ends with a suggestion to draw a force diagram and use an equation to solve for the coefficient of friction.
allelil13

Homework Statement

We have an investigative project and our group's topic is inclined plane surfaces. I need help in getting the coefficient of friction of the toy car. We will investigate the coefficient of friction of different surfaces. Our teacher didn't (and will never) discuss to us this topic. PLEASE HELP!

ramp1.jpg

Speed of the toy car = 3s

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
You're going to have to show us that you've given it a go before we help, what do you know about this? Do you have any ideas?

JHamm said:
You're going to have to show us that you've given it a go before we help, what do you know about this? Do you have any ideas?

We're actually working already on the Chapter 4 which we need to submit on Wednesday. We just need to compute for the coefficient of friction then we are done.

Do you have any idea how you'd compute it?

JHamm said:
Do you have any idea how you'd compute it?

No. Not really.. I looked for formulas over the net but it made me more confused.

Last edited:
Since you have a distance and a time I'd go for a kinematics equation, for that you'll need to find an expression for the net acceleration of the car along the ramp

JHamm said:
Since you have a distance and a time I'd go for a kinematics equation, for that you'll need to find an expression for the net acceleration of the car along the ramp

How will I get that? o_O
I didn't expect coefficient of friction to be this complicated. Gahh..

To find acceleration use Newton's second law, what forces act on the car?

JHamm said:
To find acceleration use Newton's second law, what forces act on the car?

a = F/m? Idk, gravity? :smile:

Homework Statement

We have an investigative project and our group's topic is inclined plane surfaces. I need help in getting the coefficient of friction of the toy car. We will investigate the coefficient of friction of different surfaces. Our teacher didn't (and will never) discuss to us this topic. PLEASE HELP!

ramp1.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Help please! :cry:

allelil13 said:
a = F/m? Idk, gravity? :smile:

I don't understand it well >>but there is normal force,F gravity and Friction force

Alaa Mahmoud said:
I don't understand it well >>but there is normal force,F gravity and Friction force

How will I get those?

Well the frictional force is what you're trying to find so it will just have to be assigned some character [itex]F_{friction}[/itex], now the other force you want to consider is gravity, can you get the component of gravity along the ramp?

friction force is always to the opposite of motion
we have two component of gravity : gmsinx ... gmcosx
&the normal force :normal to the surface
Then we can use Newton's laws to estimate F(friction)

allelil13 said:

Homework Statement

ramp1.jpg

Hi allelil13

Do you know about the relation Ffriction = μN ??

Can you draw all the forces acting on the toy car when placed on a ramp?

A good textbook should help here.

However if you don't have one you will need to draw a force diagram and write an equation weight of the car down the slope. In a static case where the car is not sliding or rolling the weight down the slope will equal the friction force up the slope. You should be able to rearrnage and find what you need.

Related to Coefficient of friction HELP please

1. What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of resistance between two surfaces in contact. It is a dimensionless number that represents the ratio of the force required to move an object across a surface to the weight of the object.

2. How is the coefficient of friction calculated?

The coefficient of friction is calculated by dividing the force required to move an object across a surface by the weight of the object. This can be determined experimentally by measuring the force and weight directly, or it can be calculated using mathematical formulas based on the surfaces' properties.

3. What factors affect the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction can be affected by several factors, including the types of surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, the amount of force applied, and the presence of any lubricants or contaminants on the surfaces.

4. Why is the coefficient of friction important?

The coefficient of friction is important in various fields such as engineering, physics, and materials science. It helps to determine the amount of force and energy needed to move objects, the efficiency of machines, and the stability of structures.

5. Can the coefficient of friction be changed?

Yes, the coefficient of friction can be changed by altering the properties of the surfaces in contact. For example, using lubricants can decrease the coefficient of friction, while increasing the roughness of surfaces can increase it. Additionally, different materials will have different coefficients of friction, so changing the type of surface can also affect the coefficient of friction.