Coefficient of Friction from only time given

In summary: You'll remember how to do it, and it won't be as hard.In summary, the objects slide down an inclined plane faster when there is friction.
Brynhildur
[Moderator note: Moved from General Physics so no template.]

An object slides down an inclined plane where there is friction. The time it takes the objects to slide down the plane is 5/4 times longer than the time it takes the same objects to slide down the plane without friction. Calculate the coefficient of friction.

I am completely lost here. If anybody could help me where to start it would be great, like an equation to use it would be greatly appreciated! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
How long does it take an object to slide down an inclined plane of length l and angle alpha without friction?
How long does it take with friction?

I'm just completely stumped here, I'm sorry.

Welcome to PF;
Are you saying that you don't know how to do the problem without friction?
Have you never seen problems about blocks sliding down frictionless slopes?

It's been like 3 years since I did this last and that time it was in icelandic. I'm having difficulty with the word problems.

Are you saying that you don't know how to do the problem without friction?

Do you remember about drawing free body diagrams? Newton's laws of motion? Solving simultaneous equations?
Are there words in the problem you do not understand due to the language change?

Have you tried googling for the frictionless version of the problem?

How would you normally calculate the time for a distance to be covered?

I remember the free body diagrams. Simultaneous equations isn't that like substitution? or elimination?

Mostly the confusion is that in Iceland we sometimes use different letters in equations so I put in the wrong value but I'm getting the hang of it more and more everyday. Mostly it´s difficult for me to translate what I want to know from Icelandic to english.

Brynhildur said:
I am completely lost here. If anybody could help me where to start it would be great, like an equation to use it would be greatly appreciated! :D
I can sympathise with you. I'd be lost, too, without a large diagram. :)

Your first step should be to draw a clear diagram, and mark on it what you are given, and what you are asked to find. Often, this process alone will jog your thought processes into recognizing the procedure to be followed.

One of the equations you'll need here is F = m.a

I'm with Nascent here -
step 1: draw free body diagrams.
step 2: Newton's second law
... do everything with symbols (the letters for variables), you'll end up with a couple of equations with a couple of unknowns - one of the unknowns will be the friction coefficient s solve for that.

as long as you remember the physics, the actual letters shouldn't matter: though it can help to note down what each letter means i.e. as labels on your diagram.
You'll remember, and will have seen recently, that physics involves drawing lots of diagrams.
Once you start doing that again, you'll find it's like falling off a bicycle.

Related to Coefficient of Friction from only time given

1. What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of resistance between two surfaces in contact. It is a dimensionless number that indicates how much force is required to move one surface over the other.

2. Why is the coefficient of friction important?

The coefficient of friction is important because it helps us understand the amount of force required to move one surface over the other. It is used in various applications, such as designing machinery, predicting the performance of vehicles, and determining the safety of surfaces for walking or driving.

3. How is the coefficient of friction calculated from only time given?

The coefficient of friction can be calculated from only time given by using the equation: μ = 2π^2mgh/t^2, where μ is the coefficient of friction, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, h is the initial height of the object, and t is the time it takes for the object to reach the bottom of the incline.

4. What are some factors that can affect the coefficient of friction?

There are several factors that can affect the coefficient of friction, including the nature of the surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, the amount of force applied, the temperature, and the presence of any lubricants or contaminants.

5. How can we reduce the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between the two surfaces in contact. Additionally, polishing or smoothing the surfaces can also decrease the coefficient of friction. Using materials with lower coefficients of friction, such as Teflon or graphite, can also help reduce friction.