Coefficient of friction different for different angles.

In summary, the conversation discusses two experiments conducted to calculate the coefficient of static friction between felt and a table. The first experiment was done on a horizontal surface and resulted in a coefficient of 0.25, while the second experiment was done on a ramp and resulted in a coefficient of 0.40. It is mentioned that the formula for friction coefficient involves the normal force and the two surfaces used in the experiments were the same. The conversation also clarifies the methods used to measure the coefficient in each experiment and the time interval between the two experiments.
Hlud
I am having my students do a lab to calculate the coefficient of static friction along a ramp. They are calculating the coefficient of static friction between felt and the table to be something like 0.40, yet when i did this lab, but along a horizontal surface, and not with a ramp, i get a coefficient around 0.25. Am i making a wrong assumption here, or am i making a lab error.

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you measure it, for each of the two experiments?

nasu said:
How did you measure it, for each of the two experiments?

For the first experiment, we dragged a block along the table, ever so slightly increasing the applied force (which is attached to a forcemeter) until it started moving. We plotted the graph, which clearly shows the friction graph, and calculated mu from there.

For this year's experiment, we increased the angle of the table, ever so slightly, recording the angle from our phones, until it just starts to slide. We then calculate mu using mu = tantheta.

The formula for friction coefficient involves the 'normal Force'. Was that the same for all experiments?

So the two surfaces were different, weren't they? The ramp is something else than the table, I understand.
And you did these experiments with one year interval in between?

nasu said:
So the two surfaces were different, weren't they? The ramp is something else than the table, I understand.
And you did these experiments with one year interval in between?

No, they were the same surface. And yes, the data was from last year.

Related to Coefficient of friction different for different angles.

What is coefficient of friction?

Coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of resistance between two objects when they are in contact with each other. It is a dimensionless quantity that ranges from 0 to 1, with 0 indicating no friction and 1 indicating high friction.

How is coefficient of friction calculated?

The coefficient of friction is calculated by dividing the force required to move an object over a surface by the weight of the object. This gives a ratio of the force of friction to the weight of the object.

Why does coefficient of friction vary with different angles?

The coefficient of friction varies with different angles because the surface area of contact between the two objects changes as the angle changes. The larger the surface area of contact, the greater the frictional force.

What are the factors that affect coefficient of friction?

The factors that affect coefficient of friction include the nature of the materials in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, the weight of the objects, and the angle of contact.

How is coefficient of friction useful in everyday life?

Coefficient of friction is useful in everyday life for understanding and predicting the behavior of objects in contact with each other. It is also used in engineering and design to determine the appropriate materials and surface finishes for different applications.