Coaxial Cylinders Flow: Examining Velocity & Stress in a Rotating Fluid

In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario involving a real incompressible fluid contained between two coaxial cylinders, with the outer cylinder rotating at a constant angular velocity. The flow is purely circular and the effects of gravity are neglected. The conversation then goes on to show that the azimuthal velocity component, vφ, follows a differential equation and determines vφ. The stress tensor in the fluid is also calculated, and the moment about the axis of rotation due to frictional forces in each cylinder is obtained. Lastly, it is mentioned that Chetan is seeking help with a biomechanics exam.
ettapandora
A real incompressible fluid is contained in the region between two coaxial cylinders of radii R1 and R2. The outsider cylinder rotates with angular velocity w, in stationary regime, and the flow is purely circular. Neglect the action of gravity.

a) Show that vφ (azimuthal velocity component) obeys the differential equation:

d2vφ/dr2 + (1/r) . (dvφ/dr) - vφ/r2 = (d/dr). [(1/r). (d/dr)(rvφ)] = 0

and determine vφ.b) Calculate the stress tensor in the fluid;

c) Obtain the moment about the axis of rotation of the frictional forces in each of the cylinders;

Thank you so much for your attention. I'm studying biomedical engineering and I have a biomechanics exam tomorrow and I'm really in trouble. I'd be very thankfull if someone could help me.

Attachments

• Capturar.PNG
    Capturar.PNG
    2.4 KB · Views: 469
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Start out with the theta component of the Navier stokes equations in cylindrical coordinates. The inertial terms, the pressure term, and the gravitational term are going to be zero for your problem. This leaves only the viscous term. The viscous term leads to the equation you gave.

Chet

Related to Coaxial Cylinders Flow: Examining Velocity & Stress in a Rotating Fluid

1. What is coaxial cylinder flow?

Coaxial cylinder flow is a type of fluid flow that occurs between two cylinders with a common axis, where one cylinder is rotating and the other is stationary.

2. How is velocity affected in coaxial cylinder flow?

In coaxial cylinder flow, the velocity of the fluid increases as it moves away from the rotating cylinder and decreases as it moves towards the stationary cylinder.

3. What is the relationship between velocity and stress in coaxial cylinder flow?

The stress in coaxial cylinder flow is directly proportional to the velocity of the fluid. As the velocity increases, so does the stress on the fluid.

4. What factors influence the velocity and stress in coaxial cylinder flow?

The velocity and stress in coaxial cylinder flow are primarily influenced by the rotation rate of the inner cylinder, the gap between the two cylinders, and the viscosity of the fluid.

5. What are some real-world applications of coaxial cylinder flow?

Coaxial cylinder flow is commonly used in industries such as chemical engineering, petroleum engineering, and materials science to study the behavior of fluids and to design more efficient systems for fluid flow. It is also used in medical research to simulate blood flow in blood vessels.