Coaxial coils in dielectric material

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of finding an analytical solution for a problem involving two coaxial coils with different diamagnetic materials between them. The outside coil is excited with an AC signal, and the goal is to calculate the induced voltage in the inside coil. The conversation suggests looking into Grover's book for the mutual inductance between two coils, and recommends other texts like Griffith and Balanis for beginners.
orcaja
Hi everyone

I have a problem to solve, I already simulated it with FEMM, but I wonder if it is possible to find an analytical solution.

Let's say that there's a small coil (100 turns) around a pipe (2in diameter), the pipe is filled with air.
This pipe is located inside a bigger pipe (8in diameter), which also has a coil similar to the first one (100 turns), the two coils are aligned (coaxial). Outside of this pipe there is air.

The space between the two coils is filled with two layers of different diamagnetic materials.

The outside coil is excited with an ac signal, (let's say 1Vpp, 100kHz).
Neglecting the effect of the pipes, (i.e. just taking into account the effect of the diamagnetic materials, and the air) How can I calculate the induced voltage in the inside coil?

I'm really a beginner, but willing to try everything, right now I'm having a look at the book
classical electrodynamics by David Jackson, but I still don't have an idea how to solve it.

Any advice is very welcome.
Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Diamagnetism is such a weak effect that it can be ignored in this case. Your problem devolves to the coupling between two coils in a vacuum. The mutual inductance between two short coaxial solenoids is available in many places; Grover's old book Inductance Calculations (or something like that) is a good place to look for the answer, other texts will give you the derivations.

If you are really a beginner, as you say, than stay away from Jackson, which is a graduate level physics text. How much of a beginner are you? Have you studied vector calculus and freshman physics? Then Griffith is the classic physics text to look at. For EE's, Balanis's book on E&M is a standard. If you haven't gotten that far, then start by studying calculus (including vector calculus, Gauss's and Stoke's theorems, etc.) and a freshman physics text like Halliday and Resnick before moving up.

Related to Coaxial coils in dielectric material

1. What are coaxial coils in dielectric material?

Coaxial coils in dielectric material refer to a type of electromagnetic coil where two conductors are placed one inside the other, with a layer of insulating material (dielectric) in between. This configuration is used to create a strong and uniform magnetic field.

2. How do coaxial coils in dielectric material work?

When an electric current is passed through the inner conductor, it creates a magnetic field. The dielectric material between the two conductors helps to confine and shape the magnetic field, making it stronger and more uniform. This setup is commonly used in devices such as transformers and inductors.

3. What are the advantages of using coaxial coils in dielectric material?

Coaxial coils in dielectric material have several advantages, including high efficiency, low resistance, and the ability to create a strong and uniform magnetic field. They also have a compact design, making them suitable for use in small electronic devices.

4. What types of dielectric materials are commonly used in coaxial coils?

The most commonly used dielectric materials in coaxial coils are air, plastic, and ceramic materials. Each material has its own advantages and can be chosen based on the specific needs of the coil, such as its operating frequency or magnetic field strength.

5. What are the applications of coaxial coils in dielectric material?

Coaxial coils in dielectric material have a wide range of applications, including in power supplies, communication systems, medical devices, and scientific instruments. They are also used in consumer electronics, such as televisions and radios, as well as in industrial machinery.