CO2 Pressure Formula: Determine Pressure at Any Temperature

In summary, the conversation is about determining the pressure in a CO2 bottle while the liquid is still present. The person is familiar with a CO2 Dynamics chart but wants to know the pressure at any temperature. They have found a formula of p = 4.51Te through searching and calculating, but are unsure about the meaning of the constant e. They also mention the possibility of using the Clausius-Clapeyron relation to calculate vapor pressure.
Hubb
I'm trying to figure a formula to determine what the pressure is in a CO2 bottle, while the liquid is still present. I am familiar with a CO2 Dynamics chart, but would like to know what the pressure would be at any temperature.

So far, what I have found through numerous hours of searching and calculating is this:

p = 4.51Te
where p is the pressure in psi
4.51 is a math constant
T is the temperature in Fahrenheit
and e is unknown (I believe it to be the expansion rate relative to the temperature but am not sure).

Any help would be appreciated

warpig.com/paintball/technical/gasses/co2pv.gif

Physics news on Phys.org
What I was asking above was vapor pressure. Can anyone help with a formula to calculate the vapor pressure in CO2 (or anything for that matter)?

Google Clausius-Clapeyron relation.

Related to CO2 Pressure Formula: Determine Pressure at Any Temperature

1. What is the formula for determining CO2 pressure at any temperature?

The formula for determining CO2 pressure at any temperature is P = nRT/V, where P is the pressure in atmospheres (atm), n is the number of moles, R is the ideal gas constant (0.0821 atm L/mol K), T is the temperature in Kelvin (K), and V is the volume in liters (L).

2. How does temperature affect the pressure of CO2?

Temperature and pressure are directly proportional in the ideal gas law, meaning that as temperature increases, the pressure of CO2 also increases. This is because at higher temperatures, the molecules of CO2 have more kinetic energy and collide with the walls of the container more frequently, resulting in a higher pressure.

3. Can this formula be used for other gases besides CO2?

Yes, this formula can be used for any ideal gas, not just CO2. The ideal gas law is a general equation that describes the relationship between pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles for all ideal gases.

4. How accurate is this formula for determining CO2 pressure?

This formula is accurate for ideal gases, which CO2 is considered to be at standard temperature and pressure. However, this formula may not be as accurate for real gases, which have intermolecular forces and do not behave ideally. In those cases, more complex equations, such as the van der Waals equation, may be used.

5. Is there a simple way to calculate CO2 pressure without using this formula?

Yes, there are other ways to calculate CO2 pressure without using this formula. One way is to use a pressure-temperature chart, which shows the pressure of CO2 at various temperatures. Another way is to use a CO2 pressure gauge, which directly measures the pressure of CO2 in a container.