Co-ordinate of Point on Plane & Perpendicular Line

So one way to write the equation of the plane is as<1,-2,-5> \cdot <x,y,z> = 6or x-2y-5z = 6 which you already knew. To find out about the vector equation of a line perpendicular to the plane, remember that the dot product of two vectors is zero if and only if the two vectors are perpendicular. So we want a line in the plane of which any point on it has a vector pointing to it from the point we chose on the plane is perpendicular to \textbf{N}. The simplest way to do that is to take the position vector of the point you chose on the plane, which you were given to be
noooffence
A plane has cartesian equation x-2y-5z=6. Give the co-ordinates of any point on this plane . Give in, parametric form, the equation of the straight line which is perpendicular to the plane and passes through your chosen point on the plane..

pls help ..

Physics news on Phys.org
noooffence said:
A plane has cartesian equation x-2y-5z=6. Give the co-ordinates of any point on this plane . Give in, parametric form, the equation of the straight line which is perpendicular to the plane and passes through your chosen point on the plane..

pls help ..

How do you think you will do this part?

For a plane ax+by+cz=d what is significant about the vector <a,b,c> ?

rock.freak667 said:
How do you think you will do this part?

For a plane ax+by+cz=d what is significant about the vector <a,b,c> ?

i know the direction vector is <1,-2,-5> and i got a random point <5,8,11>.

i also know that for an equation that is perpendicular to the plane a.b = 0

but i don't know how to use the dot product to find the vector of that equation...

noooffence said:
i know the direction vector is <1,-2,-5> and i got a random point <5,8,11>.

but i don't know how to use the dot product to find the vector of that equation...

If you know that is the direction vector and it is the same as the normal to the plane then what are those two vectors (if one happened to be a scalar multiple of the other)?

noooffence said:

pls help ..

Isn't what the professor of nooooffence is asking for him/her to write the normal-vector of that plan in parametric form?

Susanne217 said:
Isn't what the professor of nooooffence is asking for him/her to write the normal-vector of that plan in parametric form?
No, he is asked to write the equation of the normal line, not vector.

HallsofIvy said:
No, he is asked to write the equation of the normal line, not vector.

Okay my bad,

If I remember correctly the eqn of normal or normal line is

[tex]y = -\frac{(x-x_0)}{f'(x_0) }+ f(x_0)[/tex] for y = f(x) if it has a skew tangent at point [tex](x_0,f(x_0))[/tex].

Susanne

noooffence said:
i know the direction vector is <1,-2,-5>

That's right, [itex]<1,-2,-5>[/itex] is perpendicular to the plane, and will be parallel to whichever line you chose.

noooffence said:
and i got a random point <5,8,11>.

To test whether this is a point in the plane, try substituting its components, [itex]<x,y,z>[/itex], into the equation [itex]x-2y-5z=6[/itex].

noooffence said:

A parametric equation for a line looks like this:

[tex]\textbf{R}(t)=\textbf{R}(0)+t\textbf{V}[/tex]

where [itex]\textbf{R}(t)[/itex] for all values of [itex]t[/itex] are position vectors representing each of the points on the line, [itex]\textbf{R}(0)[/itex] is the position vector for one particular point on the line where your parameter [itex]t[/itex] happens to be equal to 0, and [itex]\textbf{V}[/itex] is a vector parallel to the line. Oh, and the parameter [itex]t[/itex] takes the value of each of the real numbers.

One way to describe a plane is in terms of which vectors are perpendicular to a certain vector, [itex]\textbf{N}[/itex].

[tex]\textbf{N} \cdot (\textbf{R}-\textbf{R}_0)=0[/tex]

[tex]\textbf{N} \cdot \textbf{R}= \textbf{N} \cdot \textbf{R}_0[/tex]

Where [itex]\textbf{R}_0[/itex] is a constant position vector indicating some particular point in the plane, and position vectors of the form [itex]\textbf{R}[/itex] stand for each of the other points in the plane. In your case,

[tex]\textbf{N} \cdot \textbf{R}= 6[/tex]

with [itex]\textbf{R} = <x,y,z>[/itex] and [itex]\textbf{N} = <1,-2,-5>[/itex], as you worked out.

Related to Co-ordinate of Point on Plane & Perpendicular Line

What is the definition of a coordinate on a plane?

A coordinate on a plane refers to a specific point located on a two-dimensional plane, typically represented by an x-y axis. It is used to pinpoint a location or position on the plane.

How do I find the coordinates of a point on a plane?

To find the coordinates of a point on a plane, you need to identify the x and y values that correspond to the location of the point. This can be done by drawing a perpendicular line from the point to each axis and determining the distance between the point and each axis.

What is the formula for calculating the distance between two points on a plane?

The formula for calculating the distance between two points (x₁,y₁) and (x₂,y₂) on a plane is √[(x₂-x₁)² + (y₂-y₁)²]. This is known as the distance formula and is derived from the Pythagorean theorem.

What is the meaning of a perpendicular line?

A perpendicular line is a line that intersects another line at a right angle (90 degrees). In the context of coordinates on a plane, a perpendicular line can be used to determine the distance of a point from each axis.

How do I find the equation of a perpendicular line passing through a given point?

To find the equation of a perpendicular line passing through a given point, first determine the slope of the line passing through the given point and the origin. Then, take the negative reciprocal of that slope and use it as the slope of the perpendicular line. Finally, use the point-slope form of a line (y-y₁ = m(x-x₁)) to write the equation of the perpendicular line, substituting in the given point and the calculated slope.