CNC Laser Exhaust: Need Complete Enclosure?

In summary, when setting up an exhaust system for a CNC laser, it is important to consider the materials being cut. For organic materials, suction is usually sufficient but for materials such as leather which may contain toxic compounds, extra precautions should be taken. It is also important to consider the potential for reactive organics in the exhaust and to take necessary safety measures. While some may choose to fully enclose the system for added protection, it is possible to create a safe system without a full enclosure. However, it is important to always prioritize safety and consider potential risks before starting any project.
theycallmevirgo
TL;DR Summary
Do I need a full enclosure for my cnc laser to exhaust it properly?
I want to set up exhaust to take up fumes for my cnc laser. Do I need to cmpletely enclose it, or can I just put some suction near the cutting head?

Thanks so much

Joe

Engineering news on Phys.org
It depends on what you are cutting. Heavy metals ?
Suction is usually sufficient for organic materials.

Likes Bystander
Baluncore said:
It depends on what you are cutting. Heavy metals ?
Suction is usually sufficient for organic materials.
-Balsa
-Plastic (acrylic, lexan)
-Leather
-Aluminum engraving

I think that's it?

theycallmevirgo said:
-Balsa
-Plastic (acrylic, lexan)
-Leather
-Aluminum engraving

I think that's it?
Leather may contain toxic chromium compounds. Take care not to accumulate heavy metals.

Aluminium should be quickly oxidised, so will not be a problem.

Organic material should be safe once it is pyrolysed by the laser. There is a possibility that the exhaust may contain some reactive organics like CN.

What does the manufacturer/vendor say?

russ_watters said:
What does the manufacturer/vendor say?
I am the "manufacturer/vendor" =p. I'm assembling it from parts. That said, most commercial units are fully enclosed but I think that has just as much to do with eye protection.

theycallmevirgo said:
...fully enclosed but I think that has just as much to do with eye protection.
I take then that yours are not worth protecting? :eek:

• Sad
Likes sophiecentaur
So maybe we should file this under: "If I build a system the wrong way, how bad is it?"
That is the hardest engineering question.
IDK, but I do know that I've normally seen full enclosures. But sure, you can probably get away with it. That's probably how they do it in India, Cambodia, and Guinea.
Sometimes it's easier to buy some extra Aluminum or Lexan than to do a good CFD analysis of airflow.

I've seen scarier stuff in the R&D lab at the Laser company I worked for.

Tom.G said:
I take then that yours are not worth protecting? :eek:
There are glasses for that

theycallmevirgo said:
Yes, in principle but 'glasses' vary. The side shields need to match the shape of your face or stuff can find itself taking the long way round and getting there. Most of the chips that are a risk for me are from milling and turning metal and they, at least are more or less ballistic. Lighter particles can follow all sorts of paths.
H and S can be a real pain, I know but if you start every job / design with H and S in mind, it becomes a way of life. . . . . . . . and there's always the risk of someone suing you if they ever visit your workshop. We are all held responsible for each other, these days you know. :wink:

Likes berkeman
theycallmevirgo said:
That doesn't play well on PF. Safety means dotting the i's and crossing the t's on safety protocols. Your answer sounds like a cavalier attitude toward safety.

I frown on giving a public forum to potentially unsafe discussions. Kids can find the archives of this thread via google search.

Likes sophiecentaur and DaveE
anorlunda said:
That doesn't play well on PF. Safety means dotting the i's and crossing the t's on safety protocols. Your answer sounds like a cavalier attitude toward safety.

I frown on giving a public forum to potentially unsafe discussions. Kids can find the archives of this thread via google search.
Fair enough. I was definitely planning on being the only one using it so I definitely wasn't thinking in those terms.

Likes sophiecentaur

Related to CNC Laser Exhaust: Need Complete Enclosure?

1. What is a CNC laser exhaust and why is it important?

A CNC laser exhaust is a ventilation system that removes fumes and particles generated during the laser cutting process. It is important because it helps to maintain a safe and healthy working environment by removing potentially harmful substances.

2. Do I need a complete enclosure for my CNC laser exhaust?

Yes, a complete enclosure is necessary for a CNC laser exhaust to be effective. The enclosure helps to contain the fumes and particles, ensuring that they are properly removed from the workspace.

3. What materials are suitable for a CNC laser exhaust enclosure?

The enclosure should be made of non-flammable materials such as metal or fire-resistant plastic. It should also be able to withstand high temperatures and be easy to clean.

4. How often should I clean or replace the filters in my CNC laser exhaust?

The frequency of filter cleaning or replacement will depend on the usage of the laser cutter. It is recommended to check the filters regularly and clean or replace them as needed to maintain optimal performance.

5. Can I install a CNC laser exhaust system myself?

It is recommended to have a professional install your CNC laser exhaust system to ensure that it is properly set up and meets all safety requirements. However, if you have experience with ventilation systems and follow the manufacturer's instructions carefully, it is possible to install it yourself.