Closed surface bounding a volume V

In summary, if "bounding" is understood as a boundary in the topological sense, then a surface bounding a volume is always a closed surface. This is because boundaries are always closed, as shown by the formula: ∂V=V¯∩(X−V¯) However, it is important to note that while the boundary of a surface may be closed, it may not necessarily be a closed manifold. This can cause confusion in the use of terms such as "compact" and "bounded" in topology and manifold theory. It is important to understand the distinction between a closed manifold and a closed set in order to avoid confusion.
Pushoam
Is a surface bounding a volume always a closed surface?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you understand "bounding" as being a boundary in the topological sense, yes, since boundaries are always closed:
$$
\partial V = \overline{V} \cap \overline{(X-V)}
$$

o.k.
Thank you.

The set ##\{(x,y)\in\mathbb{R}^2\mid x\ge 0\}## has a boundary ##\{x=0\}##. This boundary is a closed subset of the plane but it is not a closed manifold

zwierz said:
The set ##\{(x,y)\in\mathbb{R}^2\mid x\ge 0\}## has a boundary ##\{x=0\}##. This boundary is a closed subset of the plane but it is not a closed manifold
It is a closed manifold. It is not a compact manifold, but as the boundary of a bounding submanifold it is closed. Each neighborhood of ##\{x=0\}## contains points with ##x=0## and ##x > 0## so it's a boundary and boundaries are closed. Considered as manifold in its own right, it is trivially closed.

Last edited:
Likes Pushoam
fresh_42 said:
It is a closed manifold. It is not a compact manifold
this does not meet the standard definition:

6d634c19478c.png

Michael Spivak: A Comprehensive Introduction to Differential Geometry. third edition Vol 1 p.19 Publish of Perish Texas 1999

This is only a source of confusion, not really a rigor use of topological terms. After all, a manifold is a topological space in the first place. This determines the terms closed, compact and boundary in a precise way. To use it otherwise is not a good start to learn it. Bourbaki use the term quasi-compact instead of compact, to reserve compactness for Hausdorff spaces. To speak of "non-bounded compact" sets in a context where a metric and a local Euclidean structure is that close, is a crime, not a definition.

So what? My book on alternating differential forms contains a proof that boundaries are closed. In topology boundaries are closed.

To call "closed = compact - boundary" is merely a sloppy way of using "compact = closed + bounded" and subtract "bounded", which is wrong by the generality of the first equation and sloppy by the method. Furthermore it only says "compact - boundary" is closed, not that all closed sets are built this way, which makes a huge difference. I assume there is a difference in the meaning between a closed manifold and a closed set and that's where confusion starts and where I want to emphasize, that this distinction has to be made in order to avoid confusion.

Beside all this, there wasn't a manifold in the OP's question at all. Only a metric space, which may be assumed by the term "volume". So to argue about special uses of topological terms in the realm of Riemannian(?!) manifolds doesn't make any sense at all. It simply wasn't part of the question, only part of your answer.

fresh_42 said:
So what?
I just have shown that there is a standard meaning of the term "closed manifold". This meaning is broadly used regardless of your disagreement.

Thank you all.
Since I haven't studied topology and manifold, I couldn't understand these arguments.
By "bounding", I mean a "boundary "and so I think the answer to my question is yes.

Related to Closed surface bounding a volume V

1. What is a closed surface?

A closed surface is a three-dimensional shape that completely encloses a space or volume. It has no holes or gaps and is considered a continuous surface with no edges or boundaries.

2. What does it mean to bound a volume?

To bound a volume means to enclose or surround it with a physical barrier or boundary. In the context of a closed surface, it means to completely enclose the space or volume inside the surface, creating a solid object.

3. Why is it important for a closed surface to bound a volume?

A closed surface is important because it allows for the calculation and measurement of the volume within it. Without a closed surface, it is impossible to accurately determine the volume of a space or object.

4. What is the relationship between a closed surface and a volume?

A closed surface and a volume are closely related, as the surface completely surrounds and encloses the volume. The surface is essentially the boundary that defines the volume and allows for its measurement and calculation.

5. How is a closed surface used in scientific research?

A closed surface is used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and mathematics, to determine the volume of objects or spaces. It is also used in computer graphics and modeling to create three-dimensional objects with defined boundaries.