Closed-space sphere "displacement"?

In summary, Lemaitre presents an example of a closed space represented as a sphere and demonstrates a point by "displacing" the sphere. The second paragraph discusses three possible interpretations of the "displacement" - rotation, change in radius, or translation. The third paragraph suggests a simple increase in radius with specific points and segments on the same diagonal line. Lemaitre also mentions that the interior of the sphere is part of the closed space and uses an antipodal definition for points. Finally, the third paragraph mentions an increase in radius as the most likely interpretation of the "displacement."
bahamagreen
This is strictly a geometric question from Lemaitre's writing.

He is presenting an example of a closed space represented as a sphere (I'm assuming the surface only?), and makes a "displacement" of the sphere to demonstrate a point. I am not following his operation on the sphere based on any of the ways I can think of by which he means "displacement".

To read his words (translated from the French original), see page 340 at this site where the section heading is "Closed Space". I've read this page slowly (I have this same in a book) about a hundred times and still have no idea what he is doing to this sphere representing a closed space; Any help is welcome.

It is the second paragraph where I lose the path. I imagine three ways to interpret "displacement" of the sphere:

- a rotation
both B and B' are on the original sphere

- a change in radius
where B is outside the original sphere
where B is inside the original sphere
where B is on the original sphere (not a rotation)

- translation of three forms
where B is outside the sphere
where B is inside the sphere
where B is on the sphere (same as rotation if B' is also on the sphere)

I guess some combinations of these are possible, but what he is demonstrating is supposed to be simple and elementary... but I can't isolate what kind of displacement he is indicating.

His mention that the segments A-B and A'-B' remain representations of similar segments in closed space seems to suggest that he is only considering rotation, which keeps the whole of both segments in the surface of the rotated sphere.

His mention (again with regard to the A-B and A'-B' segments) that the representation that was previously interior to the sphere is now exterior to the sphere seems to suggest a change in radius or translation.

He also seems to be including the interior of the sphere as part of the closed space, "... a portion of space which has already been represented in the interior of the initial sphere..."? But he is also using an antipodal definition where A and antipodal A' represent the same point, so maybe something about that is why?

The third paragraph begins with mentioning the exterior sphere... suggesting a change in radius.

Thanks, if anyone can clear this up for me.

Physics news on Phys.org
I must have been working with this problem while I slept; the first time I thought about it today I understood it immediately.

It is simple increase in radius with A and A' on the original surface, B and B' on the new surface, with the radial segments A-B and A'-B' both on the same diameter line through both opposite surfaces of both the spheres. Therefore A, A', B, B', A-A', and B-B' are all on the same line which contains a common diameter of each sphere. Since the point pair A & A' represents the same point, so does B & B', and since both of the segments A-B and A'-B' and the inner diagonal A-A' are located on the same diagional B-B', the two segments are also representations of the same point (B and B').

The same point is represented by A, A', B, B', A-A', B-B', A-B, A'-B', A-B', and A'-B ... all points and segments on the common diagonal represent the same point because these segments are closed lines..

Related to Closed-space sphere "displacement"?

1. What is a closed-space sphere displacement?

A closed-space sphere displacement is a phenomenon in which a spherical object is moved or shifted within a confined space, such as a closed container or a closed system.

2. How does closed-space sphere displacement occur?

Closed-space sphere displacement can occur due to various factors, including changes in pressure, temperature, or volume within the confined space. It can also occur due to external forces acting on the container, such as shaking or tilting.

3. What are some real-life examples of closed-space sphere displacement?

Some examples of closed-space sphere displacement in real life include the movement of gas molecules within a sealed container, the shifting of fluids within a closed hydraulic system, or the movement of a ball inside a closed box.

4. Can closed-space sphere displacement be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, closed-space sphere displacement can be controlled and manipulated through various means, such as adjusting the pressure or temperature within the confined space, changing the volume of the container, or applying external forces.

5. What are the potential applications of closed-space sphere displacement in scientific research or technology?

Closed-space sphere displacement has applications in various fields, such as fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, and materials science. It can be used to study the behavior of gases and liquids in confined spaces, develop new materials with unique properties, and design efficient hydraulic systems.