Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

closed sets intersection of countable open sets

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
Prove that every closed set in $\mathbb{R}$ is the intersection of a countable collection of open sets.

Let $G_n$ be a countable collection of open sets.
Then we would have 2 cases either $x\in\bigcap G_n$ which is a point which is closed.
Or we could $(a,b)$ in all $G_n$ but how to show that would be closed?

girdav

Feb 1, 2012
I don't understand your reasoning: you start by "let $\{G_n\}$ a countable collection of open sets: that's not what is asked. We want to show that each closed subset $F$ of the real line can be written as a countable intersection of open sets. To see that, define $G_n:=\bigcup_{x\in F}B(x,n^{-1})$.

Note that this property is true for all metric spaces.

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
I don't understand your reasoning: you start by "let $\{G_n\}$ a countable collection of open sets: that's not what is asked. We want to show that each closed subset $F$ of the real line can be written as a countable intersection of open sets. To see that, define $G_n:=\bigcup_{x\in F}B(x,n^{-1})$.

Note that this property is true for all metric spaces.
I don't see how that union works.

girdav

Feb 1, 2012
An open ball is open, and an arbitrary union of open sets is open hence so is $G_n$. Each $G_n$ contains $F$, and so does their intersection. If $x\in G_n$ for each $n$, then $d(x,x_n)\leq n^{-1}$ for some $x_n\in F$. We deduce that $\{x_n\}$ converges to $x$ and since this sequences lies in a closed set the limit still is in this closed set.

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
An open ball is open, and an arbitrary union of open sets is open hence so is $G_n$. Each $G_n$ contains $F$, and so does their intersection. If $x\in G_n$ for each $n$, then $d(x,x_n)\leq n^{-1}$ for some $x_n\in F$. We deduce that $\{x_n\}$ converges to $x$ and since this sequences lies in a closed set the limit still is in this closed set.
Why does each $G_n$ contain $F$? How is that guaranteed?

girdav

Feb 1, 2012

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012

girdav

Feb 1, 2012
No, just an element of $F$. We have $\{x\}\subset B(x,n^{-1})$, then take the union over $x\in F$.

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
No, just an element of $F$. We have $\{x\}\subset B(x,n^{-1})$, then take the union over $x\in F$.
I still don't understand how we can ensure $F$ is a closed set just by taking unions of open sets.

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
Is it true that all closed sets have a subcover? Is that the jist of the question?

girdav

Feb 1, 2012
Actually, it seems that you believe that you have to show that a countable intersection of open sets is closed: it's not what you have to show (fortunately, as it's not true, taking $G_n=O$ where $O$ is open and not closed).

What you have to show is that each closed subset of $\Bbb R$ can be written as a countable intersection of open sets.