Closed Packing: Definition & Planes

In summary, close packing is a packing arrangement of spheres that the atoms cannot be packed any closer.
gracy
what is definition of closed packing?a close packing plane is a plane that the atoms cannot be packed any closer?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
gracy said:
what is definition of closed packing?a close packing plane is a plane that the atoms cannot be packed any closer?
That's "close packing,", not "closed." Yes, it means that atoms, taken as spheres, cannot be closer to one-another. See http://departments.kings.edu/chemlab/animation/clospack.html

Likes gracy
DrClaude said:
it means that atoms, taken as spheres, cannot be closer to one-another.
atoms have to be sphere? in definition word sphere is present?

The term "close packing" comes from the part of geometry that deals with the packing of spheres, i.e., how to arrange spheres in 3D. There are two packing of spheres which the density of the spheres, cubic close packing and hexagonal close packing. If you take the center of the spheres in these packing configurations to be the position of an atom, you will find crystal structures that have the same arrangement as these close-packed sphere. Therefore, by taking the atom as a sphere, you can imagine that the crystal structure results from the atoms being as close as possible to each other. Of course, atoms are not spheres and don't have fixed sizes, so can always put them closer together (e.g., by compression).

I found a better link than my previous suggestion:
http://chemwiki.ucdavis.edu/Wikitex...es_of_Matter/Cubic_Lattices_and_Close_Packing

Likes gracy
DrClaude said:
, i.e., how to arrange spheres in 3D
what about 2D?is close packing not applied in 2D?

gracy said:
what about 2D?is close packing not applied in 2D?
Yes, you can apply it to 2D. It is just that crystal lattices are usually 3D. I'm sorry if I led you astray by discussing spheres in 3D. But the links I gave also discuss the 2D case.

Likes gracy
DrClaude said:
Yes, you can apply it to 2D. It is just that crystal lattices are usually 3D. I'm sorry if I led you astray by discussing spheres in 3D. But the links I gave also discuss the 2D case.
Thanks a lot.May God bless you.

Related to Closed Packing: Definition & Planes

1. What is closed packing?

Closed packing is a method of arranging atoms or molecules in a solid material in a way that maximizes the number of particles in a given space. This results in a dense, tightly packed structure with minimal empty space.

2. How does closed packing differ from open packing?

Closed packing differs from open packing in that it involves packing atoms or molecules as closely together as possible, while open packing allows for more empty space between particles. Closed packing results in a higher density and stronger bonding between particles.

3. What are the different types of planes in closed packing?

The three types of planes in closed packing are the hexagonal close-packed (HCP) plane, the face-centered cubic (FCC) plane, and the body-centered cubic (BCC) plane. These planes are formed by the arrangement of atoms or molecules in a specific pattern.

4. What are the advantages of closed packing?

The main advantage of closed packing is that it results in a denser and stronger material. This makes it useful in applications where strength and durability are important, such as in construction materials or industrial equipment. Closed packing also allows for efficient use of space, making it useful in storage and transportation applications.

5. What factors affect closed packing?

The factors that affect closed packing include the size and shape of the particles being packed, as well as the temperature and pressure at which the packing takes place. The size and shape of the particles determine the type of packing that can occur, while temperature and pressure can affect the spacing and arrangement of the particles.