Closed Orbit of Hydrogen Atoms. How to find the classical turning point

In summary, the article "Classical, semiclassical, and quantum dynamics in the lithium Stark System" discusses the use of Hamiltonian equations to determine closed orbits for the hydrogen atom in an electric field. The classical turning points in semi-parabolic coordinates can be found by setting the kinetic energy to zero and solving a quartic equation. Suggestions for further research include using computer programs, studying effective potential, and using numerical methods.
rydberg157
Hi.
I am trying to find the classical turning points in semi-parabolic coordinates for the hydrogen atom when an electric field is being applied to it in the y-axis. I am reading an article for those who are interested called Classical, semiclassical, and quantum dynamics in the lithium Stark System published in Physical Review A Volume 51, Number 5. It gives me the following three separated equations based on the Hamiltonian:

.5 * (pu)^2 + .5*F*u^4 - E(u^2) = eu
.5 * (pv)^2 - .5*F*u^4 - E(u^2) = ev

and eu + ev = 2

u and v are semi-parabolic position coordinates. eu and ev are separation constants.
The article also says that for the purposes of finding closed orbits, that's what I am looking for, E = scaled energy and F = 1. Scaled energy can be picked to be an arbitrary number. Scaled energy = E / (F^.5)

I know that at the classical turning point the kinetic energy is equal to 0 so the equations above simplify to

.5*u^4 - (scaled_energy)*u^2 = eu
-.5*v^4 - (scaled_energy)*v^2 = ev

Finding the classical turning point will hopefully help me determine closed orbits for hydrogen as they give me two integrals for determining when an orbit is closed if the electron is launched at a certain angle in a Field=1 and and Energy=Scaled Energy.

I have figured out that in the primitive orbit of hydrogen where the electron is launched vertically in the y-axis, parallel to the field, the electron will have u = 0 position and a velocity in the u direction = 0, so the quartic equation

0.5v^4 - (scaled_energy)*v^2 = ev = 2

will determine the classical turning point for that orbit.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
for sharing your findings and the equations you have been working with. It seems like you are on the right track in your search for the classical turning points in semi-parabolic coordinates for the hydrogen atom.

To further assist you, here are a few suggestions:

1. Use a computer program or software to plot the equations and visualize the orbit. This will help you better understand the behavior of the electron in the applied electric field and identify the turning points.

2. Look into the concept of effective potential in classical mechanics. This can help you understand the behavior of the electron in the electric field and identify the points where the effective potential is equal to the electron's energy.

3. Consider using numerical methods, such as the shooting method or the Runge-Kutta method, to solve the equations and find the turning points. These methods can give you more accurate results and allow you to explore different initial conditions for the electron.

4. It might also be helpful to consult with other scientists or researchers who have studied similar systems or have expertise in classical mechanics. They may have valuable insights or suggestions for your research.

Best of luck in your study of the hydrogen atom in an applied electric field. I hope you are able to find the closed orbits and further advance our understanding of this fascinating system.

Related to Closed Orbit of Hydrogen Atoms. How to find the classical turning point

1. What is the closed orbit of hydrogen atoms?

The closed orbit of hydrogen atoms refers to the path that an electron follows around the nucleus of a hydrogen atom. This path is a circular or elliptical orbit that keeps the electron in a stable energy state.

2. How is the closed orbit of hydrogen atoms related to quantum mechanics?

The concept of the closed orbit of hydrogen atoms is based on the Bohr model of the atom, which was developed using principles of quantum mechanics. This model explains how electrons can only occupy certain energy levels or orbits around the nucleus.

3. How do you calculate the energy of a hydrogen atom in a closed orbit?

The energy of a hydrogen atom in a closed orbit can be calculated using the formula E = -13.6/n^2, where n is the principal quantum number. This formula is derived from the Bohr model and takes into account the energy levels or orbits of the electron.

4. What is the classical turning point in relation to the closed orbit of hydrogen atoms?

The classical turning point is the point at which the electron in a hydrogen atom reaches its furthest distance from the nucleus before it starts moving back towards the nucleus. This is important in understanding the stability and energy of the closed orbit.

5. How do you find the classical turning point in a closed orbit of a hydrogen atom?

The classical turning point can be found by setting the kinetic energy equal to the potential energy in the equation E = K + U. This will give you the distance from the nucleus where the electron reaches its furthest point before turning back. This point is also known as the Bohr radius.