Closed non-commutative operation on N

• Thread starter tarkimos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Closed
In summary, the conversation discusses finding examples of closed non-commutative and non-associative binary operations on the set of natural numbers (N). The suggestion is made to use a new operation, such as x*y=2x+y, as an example.
tarkimos
Homework Statement

(i) Give an example of a closed non-commutative binary operation on N (the set of all natural numbers).
(ii) Give an example of a closed non-associative binary operation on N.

The attempt at a solution
This has me stumped, there must be something simple that I'm missing. I was thinking divisibility ('|')...

EDIT: Looking back at my first topic, wow, I've come a long way since when I last posted

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Note that a binary operation goes from N x N into N again. Divisibility is therefore not a really good example, for example, which number is 3 | 6? What does (3 | 6) | 4 mean?

Instead, try something simpler. I think you can even use the same counterexample for both. Let me give you a hint:
3 - 5 = - (5 - 3).

CompuChip said:
Note that a binary operation goes from N x N into N again. Divisibility is therefore not a really good example, for example, which number is 3 | 6? What does (3 | 6) | 4 mean?
Okay, that clears some things up, thanks.
CompuChip said:
Instead, try something simpler. I think you can even use the same counterexample for both. Let me give you a hint:
3 - 5 = - (5 - 3).
I need to use a counter-example?
I still can't work it out, sorry. I think that your hint went clear over my head.

I can't use subtraction (as it is not a closed operation in N), can I?

Then define a new operation. For example, x*y= 2x+ y is clearly non-commutative.

HallsofIvy said:
Then define a new operation. For example, x*y= 2x+ y is clearly non-commutative.
Ah, thank you very much. I wasn't looking at the questions broadly enough. :)

Sorry, I meant example instead of counterexample.
And I thought it said Z in which N is indeed closed.
My apologies.

Related to Closed non-commutative operation on N

1. What is a closed non-commutative operation on N?

A closed non-commutative operation on N is a mathematical operation (such as addition or multiplication) that is performed on the set of natural numbers (N) and results in a natural number. The operation is considered closed because the result always remains within the set of natural numbers.

2. How is a closed non-commutative operation on N different from a commutative operation?

A closed non-commutative operation on N differs from a commutative operation in that the order of the operands affects the result. In other words, changing the order of the numbers being operated on will result in a different answer. This is not the case for a commutative operation, where changing the order of operands does not affect the result.

3. Can you provide an example of a closed non-commutative operation on N?

One example of a closed non-commutative operation on N is subtraction. For example, 5 - 3 = 2, but 3 - 5 = -2, which is not a natural number. Therefore, subtraction is closed on N, but it is not commutative.

4. What is the significance of closed non-commutative operations on N?

Closed non-commutative operations on N are important in mathematics because they allow for the creation of new sets of numbers, such as integers, rationals, and reals. These sets are necessary for solving many real-world problems and for advancing mathematical theories and concepts.

5. How are closed non-commutative operations on N used in real-world applications?

Closed non-commutative operations on N are used in a wide range of real-world applications, such as in computer algorithms, cryptography, and engineering. For example, they are used in encryption algorithms to ensure that the resulting message can only be decrypted with the correct key, which requires the use of a non-commutative operation on a finite set of numbers.