Closed Integrals in LaTeX: Forum Q&A

In summary, a closed integral in LaTeX is a mathematical notation that represents the integration of a function along a closed path or region. It is denoted by the symbol ∮ and is commonly used in physics and engineering. To write a closed integral, use the \oint or \ointclockwise commands for clockwise orientation, or the \ointctrclockwise command for counterclockwise orientation. It is important to include limits of integration as subscripts and superscripts. Closed integrals can be used in inline equations by enclosing them in dollar signs or using the \int command, but they will appear smaller than in display equations. To change the size, use the \displaystyle command or the \limits command to adjust the placement of sub
STEMucator
Homework Helper
Does the forum have built in LaTeX for multiple closed integrals? I know that ##\oint## is for a single contour integral.

I would've expected things like \oiint and \oiiint to work for surface and volume integrals.

Physics news on Phys.org
Indeed, \oiint and \oiiint don't work, although \iint and \iiint do.

I don't think this is something that we have any control over, because this service is provided by MathJax.

Related to Closed Integrals in LaTeX: Forum Q&A

1. What is a closed integral in LaTeX?

A closed integral in LaTeX is a type of mathematical notation that is used to represent the integration of a function along a closed path or region. It is often denoted by the symbol ∮, and it is commonly used in fields such as physics and engineering.

2. How do I write a closed integral in LaTeX?

To write a closed integral in LaTeX, you can use the command \oint or \ointclockwise for a clockwise orientation. You can also use the amsmath package and the command \ointctrclockwise for a counterclockwise orientation. It is important to note that the limits of integration should be included as subscripts and superscripts.

3. Can I use closed integrals in inline equations?

Yes, you can use closed integrals in inline equations by enclosing the integral in dollar signs ($$) or by using the \int command. However, the integral symbol will appear smaller in inline equations compared to display equations.

4. How do I change the size of a closed integral in LaTeX?

You can change the size of a closed integral in LaTeX by using the \displaystyle command before the integral. This will make the integral appear larger, similar to how it appears in display equations. You can also use the \limits command to force the subscripts and superscripts to appear above and below the integral symbol.

5. Are there any alternative symbols for closed integrals in LaTeX?

Yes, there are alternative symbols for closed integrals in LaTeX, such as \oiint for a double integral and \oiiint for a triple integral. These symbols are available in the amsmath package. You can also use the \varoint command to create a closed integral symbol with a dash through it.