Clemson University Course Suggestions for Physics BA/Mathematical Sciences Minor

In summary, the speakers are discussing their course plans for their physics majors. The first speaker is currently enrolled as a first semester junior at Clemson University, but is actually in their freshman year due to exemption from some classes. They have decided to minor in mathematical sciences and are looking for higher level classes that would apply to advanced physical fields. The second speaker is also pursuing a similar plan, but over four years. They suggest studying linear algebra, complex analysis, PDE's, differential geometry, and courses on dynamical systems and numerical methods after completing ODE's. They also mention the importance of retaking AP Physics for a rigorous introduction to mechanics and E/M. The first speaker clarifies that they are still enrolled for four years, but are
unchained1978
I am currently enrolled as a 1st semester junior at clemson university (this is my freshman year though, just exempted a bunch of classes) and am a physics ba major. I've decided to minor in mathematical sciences and I was wanting to take higher level classes that would apply to advanced physical fields. Any course suggestions? (I've already taken Calculus I-IV so please don't include those in your suggestions)

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm doing a similar thing, but spread over four years. I don't really know what you mean by Calc I-IV, so I'll assume you've covered up to a semester on ODE's. After that, you'll need to study linear algebra, complex analysis, PDE's, perhaps differential geometry, and some courses on dynamical systems and numerical methods.

Just a thought, how do you plan on doing a physics major in 2 years? AP Physics isn't even remotely close to a rigorous first Mechanics and E/M introduction, if you plan to pursue physics, I'd definitely recommend retaking them. My school offers a "honors" track which more or less assumes you breezed through AP Physics and delves more deeply into the math and physics.

I'm still enrolled for 4 years, it's just that I'm listed as a junior, so I'm taking all the required physics classes. By calculus I-IV i meant I'm curently in ode so you're right, and I plan on taking linear algebra, but what is complex analysis?

Related to Clemson University Course Suggestions for Physics BA/Mathematical Sciences Minor

1. What courses are required for a Physics BA at Clemson University?

The required courses for a Physics BA at Clemson University include General Physics I and II, Modern Physics, Classical Mechanics, Electromagnetism, and Quantum Mechanics. Students also have the option to take additional courses in topics such as astrophysics, thermodynamics, and computational physics.

2. Can I minor in Mathematical Sciences while majoring in Physics at Clemson University?

Yes, you can minor in Mathematical Sciences while majoring in Physics at Clemson University. This minor requires 18 credit hours and includes courses in calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations, as well as upper-level courses in mathematical analysis and mathematical modeling.

3. Are there any recommended courses for students interested in pursuing graduate studies in physics?

Yes, Clemson University recommends that students interested in pursuing graduate studies in physics take additional courses in mathematics, such as advanced calculus and differential equations, as well as courses in computer science and programming. It is also recommended to participate in research opportunities and attend seminars and conferences in the field.

4. What are the benefits of completing a Mathematical Sciences minor for a Physics major?

A Mathematical Sciences minor can enhance a Physics major's understanding and application of mathematical concepts in their studies. This can be beneficial for students interested in pursuing research or graduate studies in physics, as well as for careers in industries such as engineering and finance.

5. Are there any prerequisites for upper-level physics courses at Clemson University?

Yes, most upper-level physics courses at Clemson University have prerequisites, which may include introductory physics courses, calculus, and/or differential equations. It is important for students to plan their course schedule accordingly and meet with an advisor for guidance.