Clearing fractions and setting up for the quadratic formula?

In summary, to clear fractions in a problem like \frac{1}{x-1}+\frac{2}{3}=\frac{2}{x-3}, you need to find the least common denominator (LCD) of all the fractions involved, which in this case is 3(x-1)(x-3). Then, multiply both sides of the equation by the LCD to clear the fractions. This will result in an equation without fractions, which can then be solved using the quadratic formula to find the solutions. The quadratic formula can solve all quadratic equations, as long as the equation is in the form of ax^2+bx+c=0.
Amaz1ng
How do I clear fractions in problems like this and set it up for the quadratic formula:

[tex]\frac{1}{x-1}+\frac{2}{3}=\frac{2}{x-3}[/tex]

I would like to set this up to be solved with the quadratic formula. Also, is it true that the formula can solve all quadratic equations?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi Amaz1ng :smile:

Amaz1ng said:
How do I clear fractions in problems like this and set it up for the quadratic formula:

I would like to set this up to be solved with the quadratic formula.

Multiply both sides of the equation with the denumerators of the fractions. This will clear the fractions. Also, before you do anything, you'll have to note that you have to assume that x is not 1 or 3.

Also, is it true that the formula can solve all quadratic equations?

Yes!

whats a denumerator? :shy:

The thing below your fraction. Thus in [tex]\frac{a}{b}[/tex], a is the numerator and b is the denumerator. So what you need to do is multiply your equation with x-1 and x-3.

btw like this?

[tex]\frac{1(x-3)}{(x-1)(x-3)}+\frac{2(x-3)}{3(x-3)}=\frac{2*3(x-1)}{3(x-1)(x-3)}[/tex]

No, not like that. First multiply both sides of the equation by x-1, what do you get?

It's not wrong what you wrote, but it just won't help us forward... :frown:

[tex]
\frac{1(x-1)}{(x-1)(x-1)}+\frac{2(x-1)}{3(x-1)}=\frac{2(x-1)}{(x-3)(x-1)}
[/tex]

[tex]
\frac{1(x-1)}{(x-1)}+\frac{2(x-1)}{3}=\frac{2(x-1)}{(x-3)}
[/tex]

But, why do you also divide by x-1? That won't help you forward, you should just multiply.

Maybe you'll grasp it better with some example:

Solve [tex]\frac{1}{x}+2=9[/tex]
We multiply both sides by x, and we get [tex]1+2x=9x[/tex]. This gives us x=1/7.

Amaz1ng said:
[tex]
\frac{1(x-1)}{(x-1)}+\frac{2(x-1)}{3}=\frac{2(x-1)}{(x-3)}
[/tex]

YES! :biggrin: very good!
Now, multiply both sides by x-3...

[tex]\frac{1(x-1)(x-3)}{(x-1)}+\frac{2(x-1)(x-3)}{3}=\frac{2(x-1)(x-3)}{(x-3)}[/tex]

lol :!)

Very good! Doesn't that give you your quadratic formula? :smile:

micromass said:
Very good! Doesn't that give you your quadratic formula? :smile:

I don't see how. lol

I think I see now, but could you show me what exactly you're talking about.

[tex]x^2-3x-x+3[/tex] :eek:

Well, if you have both (x-1) in the numerator and the denumerator, you can scratch them. You'll end up with an equation without fractions. Factoring gives you the desired equation!

Amaz1ng said:

I would like to set this up to be solved with the quadratic formula. Also, is it true that the formula can solve all quadratic equations?

This simplest way to clear fractions would be to immediately look at the denominators of all the fractions and find the least common denominator(LCD). In this equation, the LCD is simply all three of the denominators multiplied together, giving you [tex]3(x-1)(x-3)[/tex]. Now when you multiply all three fractions in the equation by the LCD, you will immediately clear the fractions. From there you just need to do the algebra and use the quadratic formula to find the answers.

Last edited:
Ok but is there anything to cancel out in the middle fraction or..? I'm asking because it doesn't look like it to me. I have a feeling something needs to be done to it but I can't see what. I'm talking about this:

[tex]3(x-3)+\frac{6(x-1)(x-3)}{3}=6(x-1)[/tex]//edit
or...cancel out the 3 in the bottom and in the 6...yeah I think that's it.

Amaz1ng said:
Ok but is there anything to cancel out in the middle fraction or..? I'm asking because it doesn't look like it to me. I have a feeling something needs to be done to it but I can't see what. I'm talking about this:

[tex]3(x-3)+\frac{6(x-1)(x-3)}{3}=6(x-1)[/tex]

//edit
or...cancel out the 3 in the bottom and in the 6...yeah I think that's it.

Exactly. When you multiply the middle fraction of [tex]\frac{2}{3}[/tex] by [tex]3(x-1)(x-3)[/tex] the three in both expressions cancel each other, making the expression [tex]2(x-1)(x-3)[/tex].

When you learn what's going on, you'll know that a fraction has a numerator above the bar and a denominator below the bar. Denumerator? I think not.

SteamKing said:
When you learn what's going on, you'll know that a fraction has a numerator above the bar and a denominator below the bar. Denumerator? I think not.

I think that's how they say it in London or something. ;o

Related to Clearing fractions and setting up for the quadratic formula?

What is the purpose of clearing fractions when using the quadratic formula?

Clearing fractions in the quadratic formula is necessary to simplify the equation and make it easier to solve. By getting rid of fractions, the equation becomes more manageable and reduces the chances of making errors.

How do you clear fractions in an equation before using the quadratic formula?

To clear fractions, you need to multiply both sides of the equation by the common denominator of the fractions. This will eliminate the fractions and leave you with a simpler equation to work with.

What are the steps for setting up an equation for the quadratic formula?

The steps for setting up an equation for the quadratic formula are as follows:
1. Move all terms to one side of the equation, making sure the equation is in standard form.
2. Clear any fractions by multiplying both sides by the common denominator.
3. Identify the values of a, b, and c in the equation.
4. Substitute the values into the quadratic formula: x = (-b ± √(b²-4ac)) / 2a.
5. Simplify and solve the equation using the order of operations.

When should I use the quadratic formula to solve an equation?

The quadratic formula should be used when the equation is in standard form and cannot be factored easily. It is also useful when dealing with complex numbers or when the equation has irrational roots.

What are the common mistakes to avoid when using the quadratic formula?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using the quadratic formula include:
- Forgetting to clear fractions before substituting values into the formula.
- Mixing up the signs when simplifying the equation.
- Not using the order of operations correctly.
- Forgetting to include both the positive and negative solutions when simplifying the equation.