Cleaning a Cloudy Patch Inside Orion 120mm Telescope Lens

In summary, it is not advisable to clean the inside of the lens yourself as it may cause damage. It is recommended to take the telescope to a professional for proper cleaning.
Arthur
I own an Orion 120mm f\5 600mm telescope . I bought it last year from Orion . I recently noticed a cloudy patch about 2in. round on the inside of the scope on the lens , it looks like condensation to me . I've always been careful when i bring the scope in the house fron the nights cold air and condensation does set in on the lens that i would let the scoipe worm up before i put the lens cover on . I noticed that i can unscrew the front of the scope and the the front can be taqken of lens and all still intact in its cell . Should i clean the inside of the lens this way or find another way Thanks

Astronomy news on Phys.org
It is not recommended to try and clean the inside of the lens yourself. If you take the lens out of its cell, you risk damaging the lens and/or the cell. It is best to take your telescope to a professional who can assess and clean the lens correctly.

for sharing your experience with your Orion 120mm telescope. It's always important to take care of our equipment, especially when it comes to something as delicate as a telescope lens.

First of all, it's great that you've been careful with your telescope and have been taking precautions to prevent condensation from forming on the lens. However, it seems like some moisture may have still managed to get inside. In this case, it would be best to clean the lens to ensure optimal viewing quality.

Before attempting to clean the lens, it's important to make sure you have the proper tools and materials. You will need a clean, soft microfiber cloth, a lens cleaning solution specifically designed for telescopes, and a blower brush or compressed air canister to remove any debris.

As for the method you mentioned, it is possible to remove the front of the scope and clean the inside of the lens. However, this should only be done if you are confident in your ability to reassemble the telescope properly without causing any damage. If you are unsure, it may be best to find another way to clean the lens.

One option is to use a lens cleaning solution and a microfiber cloth to gently wipe the inside of the lens. Be sure to follow the instructions on the cleaning solution and use gentle, circular motions to avoid scratching the lens.

Another option is to use compressed air or a blower brush to remove any debris or dust from the lens. This can be done without taking the lens apart, but be careful not to blow any moisture onto the lens.

Overall, it's important to be gentle and cautious when cleaning the lens of your telescope. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with doing it yourself, it may be best to seek the help of a professional. Keeping your telescope clean and well-maintained will ensure that you can continue to enjoy clear views of the night sky.

Related to Cleaning a Cloudy Patch Inside Orion 120mm Telescope Lens

1. What causes a cloudy patch inside a telescope lens?

There are several potential causes for a cloudy patch inside a telescope lens. These include dust or debris on the lens, moisture buildup, or a chemical reaction between the lens coatings and the air. It is important to identify the specific cause in order to effectively clean the lens.

2. Can I clean the cloudy patch myself?

Yes, it is possible to clean a cloudy patch inside a telescope lens yourself. However, it is important to be very careful and use the proper tools and techniques to avoid damaging the lens. If you are not confident in your ability to clean the lens, it is best to seek professional help.

3. What tools do I need to clean a telescope lens?

To clean a telescope lens, you will need a soft, lint-free cloth or lens cleaning tissue, a lens cleaning solution specifically designed for optics, and a blower brush. It is important to avoid using household cleaners or abrasive materials, as they can damage the lens.

4. How do I clean the cloudy patch inside the lens?

To clean the cloudy patch, first use the blower brush to gently remove any dust or debris from the lens. Then, apply a small amount of lens cleaning solution to the cloth or tissue and gently wipe the lens in a circular motion. Avoid pressing too hard or using a lot of pressure, as this can damage the lens. Repeat this process until the cloudy patch is removed.

5. How can I prevent a cloudy patch from forming in the future?

To prevent a cloudy patch from forming inside your telescope lens, it is important to store the lens in a clean, dry place and to avoid touching the lens with your fingers. When using the telescope, try to avoid breathing on the lens, as this can cause moisture buildup. Regularly cleaning the lens with the proper tools and techniques can also help prevent a cloudy patch from forming.