Classifying Groups: Finite, Discrete, Continuous

• Thread starter Herr Malus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Groups
In summary, the conversation is discussing the classification of different types of groups based on their properties such as finite or infinite, discrete or continuous, and finite or infinite-dimensional. The group of integers under addition is an example of a discrete group, while the set of Mobius transformations in the complex plane is an example of a continuous group. The dimension of a group is not necessarily related to the dimension of the space it is in, and examples such as the set of integers modulo a prime number show that the order of a group can also be a factor in its classification.
Herr Malus
I have a question regarding terminology here. The assignment is somewhat as follows: "If you think any of the following is a group, classify it along the following lines: finite, infinite discrete, finite-dimensional continuous, infinite-dimensional continuous."

The definition of finite is obvious, but I haven't been able to find much of anything on the other three. Anyone have any good examples, or could at least point me in the correct direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
This involves more than just group theory. Discrete is a topology term. The group of integers under addition is discrete in the usual topology. And if you are talking about dimension that only applies to vector spaces. And I'm guessing 'continous' means you are talking about manifolds. Do you have at least a rough idea what these mean?

If discrete is a reference to the discrete metric for a discrete topology, then yes. So in that case I assume we want a group of isolated elements. In differentiating between finite dimensional and infinite dimensional, are we just looking for the order of the group? I.e. the number n such that g^n=e, where e is the identity element of the group? Finally, my knowledge of manifolds comes from a G.R. course, so would I be looking for some sort of connection to the Lie groups there?

Herr Malus said:
If discrete is a reference to the discrete metric for a discrete topology, then yes. So in that case I assume we want a group of isolated elements. In differentiating between finite dimensional and infinite dimensional, are we just looking for the order of the group? I.e. the number n such that g^n=e, where e is the identity element of the group? Finally, my knowledge of manifolds comes from a G.R. course, so would I be looking for some sort of connection to the Lie groups there?

Dimension has to mean dimension as a vector space or manifold. Not as a group. What kind of groups are you trying to classify?

Last edited:
Examples of the types of groups we're looking at are:
-"The set of Mobius transformations in the complex plane", where I assume the operation is composition.
-"The set {1,2,3,...,p-1} under multiplication modulo p, where p is a prime number."

Ok, what do you think about those two?

Well, the first is in the complex plane, C, so I'd assume dimension is 2. For the second, I think I actually want order (so I picked a bad example, my apologies), in which case it seems that the order is p-1.

Herr Malus said:
Well, the first is in the complex plane, C, so I'd assume dimension is 2. For the second, I think I actually want order (so I picked a bad example, my apologies), in which case it seems that the order is p-1.

The mobius transformations form a Lie group. So it's a continuous group. The dimension of the group is going to be the dimension of the Lie group manifold, not the dimension of C. A mobius transformation (az+b)/(cz+d) is specified by the parameters a, b, c and d. So you can certainly say it's finite dimensional. And sure, the second one is finite.

Related to Classifying Groups: Finite, Discrete, Continuous

1. What is the difference between finite, discrete, and continuous groups?

Finite groups have a limited or countable number of elements, while discrete groups have an infinite number of elements but with distinct gaps between them. Continuous groups have an infinite number of elements with no gaps between them.

2. How do you determine the type of group a given set belongs to?

The type of group can be determined based on the nature of the elements in the set. If the elements are countable and limited, it is a finite group. If the elements are infinite but with distinct gaps between them, it is a discrete group. If the elements are infinite with no gaps between them, it is a continuous group.

3. Can a group belong to more than one type?

No, a group can only belong to one type. It is either finite, discrete, or continuous based on the nature of its elements.

4. What are some real-world examples of finite, discrete, and continuous groups?

A finite group could be the number of students in a classroom or the number of apples in a basket. A discrete group could be the possible outcomes of rolling a die or the different colors of M&Ms in a bag. A continuous group could be the heights of a group of people or the temperatures recorded every hour in a day.

5. How are these types of groups useful in scientific research?

Classifying groups into finite, discrete, and continuous helps scientists in understanding and analyzing data. It allows for the application of specific mathematical and statistical methods to study and draw conclusions from the data. For example, a finite group may require counting techniques, while a continuous group may require calculus-based methods.