Classifying Discontinuities in a Piecewise Function

• Thread starter bard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary: So there is a removable discontinuity at x= 1. I would think that the definition would be "0<x(less than or equal to)2" and there would be a removable discontinuity at x= 2.
bard
Can someone please check my work, thank you

Discuss any discontinuities. classify each discontinuity as removable or nonremovable. (this is a peicewise function)

f(x)={sin(x), x<-3(pi)/2
{tan(x/2), -3(pi)/2<x(less than or equal to)0
{(-3x+1)/(x-2), 1<x<3
{-sqrt(x+6), x(greater than or equal to)3
{x^3+x, 0<x(less than or equal to)1

Note: all these functions are part of f(x), thus they are peicewise functions
All the possible discontinuity points are -3(pi)/2, -pi, 0, 1, 2,3
(1) Since at x=-3(pi)/2, f(x-)=sin(-3(pi)/2)=1, whilef(x+)= tan(-3(pi)/4)=1, which are equal, therefore f(x) is continuous at -3(pi)/2.

(2) At x=-pi, f(x-) sin(x)= +infinity, while f(x+)tan(x/2)=- infinity, not equal, therefore f(x) is discontinuous, which is nonremovable.

(3) At x=0, f(x+)=x^3+x = 0, while f(x-)= tan(x/2)=0, so f(x) is continuous.

(4) At x=1, f(x+)=(-3x+1)/(x-2)=1, f(x-)=x^3+x=2, so they are not equal, therefore f(x) is discontinuous, nonremovable

(5) At x=3, f(x+)=-sqrt(x+6)=-3, f(x-)=(-3x+1)/(x-2)=-8, not equal, so f(x) is discontinuous, nonremovable.

(6) at x=2 is not in the domain of the function, thereore there is a discontinuity, removable

therefore the discontinuities are at x=-pi, x=1, x=3, and x=2

am i missing any, thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
bard said:
Can someone please check my work, thank you

Discuss any discontinuities. classify each discontinuity as removable or nonremovable. (this is a peicewise function)

f(x)={sin(x), x<-3(pi)/2
{tan(x/2), -3(pi)/2<x(less than or equal to)0
{(-3x+1)/(x-2), 1<x<3
{-sqrt(x+6), x(greater than or equal to)3
{x^3+x, 0<x(less than or equal to)1

Note: all these functions are part of f(x), thus they are peicewise functions
All the possible discontinuity points are -3(pi)/2, -pi, 0, 1, 2,3
(1) Since at x=-3(pi)/2, f(x-)=sin(-3(pi)/2)=1, whilef(x+)= tan(-3(pi)/4)=1, which are equal, therefore f(x) is continuous at -3(pi)/2.
On the contrary, f is not even defined at -3(pi)/2! It is not enough that the limit exist there!

(2) At x=-pi, f(x-) sin(x)= +infinity, while f(x+)tan(x/2)=- infinity, not equal, therefore f(x) is discontinuous, which is nonremovable.
What? sin(pi)= 0 not infinity! In any case, f(x)= sin(x) only for x<-3pi/2, not anywhere near -pi so that's irrelevant. You are correct that tan(pi/2) is not defined so there is a removable discontinuity there.

(3) At x=0, f(x+)=x^3+x = 0, while f(x-)= tan(x/2)=0, so f(x) is continuous.
I'm sorry, where did you get f(x)= x^3+ 3? Did you intend to define f(x)= x^3+ 3 for 0< x<= 1? You missed writing that. If that was what you intended, then, yes, f is continuous at x= 0.

(4) At x=1, f(x+)=(-3x+1)/(x-2)=1, f(x-)=x^3+x=2, so they are not equal, therefore f(x) is discontinuous, nonremovable
? (-3(1)+1)/(1-2)= (-2)/(-1)= 2! Now, was f(1) defined to be 1^2+ 1= 2? If so then f is continuous at x= 1. If not then there is a removable discontinuity.

(5) At x=3, f(x+)=-sqrt(x+6)=-3, f(x-)=(-3x+1)/(x-2)=-8, not equal, so f(x) is discontinuous, nonremovable.

(6) at x=2 is not in the domain of the function, therefore there is a discontinuity, removable
? Your definition only goes up to "0<x(less than or equal to)1".

Last edited by a moderator:

Your classification of the discontinuities appears to be correct. However, it would be helpful to also include the type of discontinuity at each point (e.g. jump, asymptotic, removable). Here is a breakdown of the discontinuities at each point:

1) x=-3(pi)/2: Removable discontinuity (jump)
2) x=-pi: Nonremovable discontinuity (jump)
3) x=0: Removable discontinuity (asymptotic)
4) x=1: Nonremovable discontinuity (jump)
5) x=3: Nonremovable discontinuity (asymptotic)
6) x=2: Removable discontinuity (hole)

So overall, your work appears to be correct. Just remember to also include the type of discontinuity for a more comprehensive analysis.

Related to Classifying Discontinuities in a Piecewise Function

What is the purpose of asking for someone to check work?

The purpose of asking for someone to check work is to get feedback and ensure the accuracy and quality of the work. It allows for potential mistakes or areas of improvement to be identified and corrected before the work is finalized or submitted.

Is it necessary to ask for someone to check work?

While it is not always necessary, it is recommended to ask for someone to check work, especially for important projects or assignments. Having a fresh set of eyes can catch potential errors that may have been overlooked. It also allows for the work to be evaluated from a different perspective.

Who should I ask to check my work?

It is best to ask someone who is knowledgeable and experienced in the subject matter to check your work. This can be a colleague, professor, or mentor who has expertise in the specific topic or field. It is important to choose someone who can provide constructive criticism and help improve the quality of your work.

How should I ask someone to check my work?

When asking someone to check your work, it is important to be polite and respectful. Clearly explain the purpose of the work and why you are seeking their feedback. It is also helpful to provide a deadline for when you need the work to be checked and to thank the person for their time and assistance.

What should I do with the feedback I receive after someone checks my work?

After receiving feedback on your work, it is important to carefully consider and incorporate the suggestions and corrections into your work. It is also helpful to ask for clarification or further explanation if needed. Additionally, make sure to thank the person for their help and acknowledge their contributions in your final work.