Classical v. quantum dynamics: Is spin the key difference?

In summary: See this next, which I suggest supports my point; for "the fixed, unchangeable value which (like the mass) is the same for all particles of a given type," e.g. for electrons with spin-half, the (intrinsic) spin is ##\frac {\sqrt 3} 2 \hbar##. It is not ##\hbar/2##. Am I misinterpreting the colloquialism? SOS please!Yes, the colloquialism is "spin ##\hbar/2##." However, since ##m_s## can have one of the values ranging from ##-s## to ##+s## in integer intervals, the spin
N88
I'm interested in understanding the key physical differences between classical and quantum dynamics.

I understand that spin (intrinsic angular momentum) is one major physical difference.* So I wonder whether all else flows from this?

Or are there other major (unrelated) physical differences? Thanks.

* Like: blame Max; he started it with his aitch? :wideeyed:

Physics news on Phys.org
The key difference is QM depends on this thing called the State and the Born Rule.

The dynamics, and that includes spin, for both classical and quantum physics follows from symmetry considerations.

To understand the whole thing better get the following books and read them in this order (assuming you have done at least first year level university physics and math):
1, https://www.amazon.com/dp/0750628960/?tag=pfamazon01-20
2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/0071765638/?tag=pfamazon01-20
3. https://www.amazon.com/dp/0071765638/?tag=pfamazon01-20
4. https://www.amazon.com/dp/9814578584/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Unfortunately, while very very beautiful. profound, and deep it does require some study to appreciate. Just a note, one part is the beautiful Noether's theorem. One professor who posts here tells how when he teaches it to his students they sit there in stunned silence while its importance sinks in. The books I gave cover all that and much more, of which what spin is and it's importance is just one part.

This is the deepest discovery of modern physics IMHO. Enough said.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes vanhees71
bhobba said:
The key difference is QM depends on this thing called the State and the Born Rule.

The dynamics, and that includes spin, for both classical and quantum physics follows from symmetry considerations.

To understand the whole thing better get the following books and read them in this order (assuming you have done at least first year level university physics and math):
1, https://www.amazon.com/dp/0750628960/?tag=pfamazon01-20
2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/0071765638/?tag=pfamazon01-20
3. https://www.amazon.com/dp/0071765638/?tag=pfamazon01-20
4. https://www.amazon.com/dp/9814578584/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Unfortunately, while very very beautiful. profound, and deep it does require some study to appreciate. Just a note, one part is the beautiful Noether's theorem. One professor who posts here tells how when he teaches it to his students they sit there in stunned silence while its importance sinks in. The books I gave cover all that and much more, of which what spin is and it's importance is just one part.

This is the deepest discovery of modern physics IMHO. Enough said.

Thanks
Bill
Thanks Bill, this detail is nice, and appreciated.

I'm reading #1,2,4. The book in #3 looks good.

Since 'state of information' has classical connections, as does symmetry: it is 'spin' -- that intrinsic angular momentum (not angular momentum in general) -- that remains the major difference for me.*

* PS: On this subject, I see spin as OK! But maybe you can help here. I'd like to be sure that I'm not confused by the following: In QM, there appears to be a widely accepted colloquialism that the spin (ie, the intrinsic angular momentum) of an electron is ##\hbar/2##. This (it seems to me) is the z-component (the accepted standard direction for spin projection).

See this next, which I suggest supports my point; for "the fixed, unchangeable value which (like the mass) is the same for all particles of a given type," e.g. for electrons with spin-half, the (intrinsic) spin is ##\frac {\sqrt 3} 2 \hbar##. It is not ##\hbar/2##. Am I misinterpreting the colloquialism? SOS please!
jtbell said:
There are two separate but related quantum numbers associated with intrinsic angular momentum ("spin"). The first one, ##s##, is associated with the magnitude of a particle's spin: ##S = \sqrt{s(s+1)}\hbar## which for an electron equals ##\sqrt{\frac 1 2 \cdot \frac 3 2}\hbar = \frac {\sqrt 3} 2 \hbar \approx 9.14 \times 10^{-35}~\rm{kg \cdot m^2 / s}##. This is a fixed, unchangeable value which (like the mass) is the same for all particles of a given type, e.g. 1/2 for electrons.

The second one, ##m_s##, is associated with the orientation (direction) of the spin, specifically with the component of the spin along any given direction, which we customarily call the "z-component" although it doesn't have to be actually along the z-direction: ##S_z = m_s \hbar##.

##m_s## can have one of the values ranging from ##-s## to ##+s## in integer intervals. For ##s=\frac 1 2## (e.g. for an electron) these values are ##m_s = - \frac 1 2## ("spin down") and ##m_s = + \frac 1 2## ("spin up"). For ##s = 1## they are ##m_s = -1, 0, +1##, for ##s=\frac 3 2## they are ##m_s = -\frac 3 2, -\frac 1 2, +\frac 1 2, +\frac 3 2##, and similarly for other values of ##s##.

For an electron, ##S_z = \pm \frac 1 2 \hbar \approx \pm

5.28 \times 10^{-35}~\rm{kg \cdot m^2 / s}##.

Last edited by a moderator:
N88 said:
there appears to be a widely accepted colloquialism that the spin (ie, the intrinsic angular momentum) of an electron is ℏ/2\hbar/2. This (it seems to me) is the z-component (the accepted standard direction for spin projection).
Yes, if someone says something like "spin ##\hbar/2##" with respect to an electron, it either refers to ##S_z##, the "z-component" of intrinsic angular momentum, or else it's (at best) loose language or (at worst) an outright error. You have to interpret it in its context if necessary.

Likes N88
jtbell said:
Yes, if someone says something like "spin ##\hbar/2##" with respect to an electron, it either refers to ##S_z##, the "z-component" of intrinsic angular momentum, or else it's (at best) loose language or (at worst) an outright error. You have to interpret it in its context if necessary.
Many thanks! So, to be accurate and unless corrected, I should say:
(i) the spin (ie, the intrinsic angular momentum) of a spin-half particle) is ##\frac {\sqrt 3} 2 \hbar##.
(ii) We typically identify particles by the z-component of spin; for spin-half particles this is ##\hbar/2##.
(iii) Then add in your helpful remarks about precession (which I've yet to study).
QED.

N88 said:
ii) We typically identify particles by the z-component of spin; for spin-half particles this is ##\hbar/2##.
I think it's more common to use simply the quantum number: 1/2 when referring to the magnitude; or +1/2 or -1/2 when referring specifically to "spin up" or "spin down" states.

N88 said:
Since 'state of information' has classical connections, as does symmetry: it is 'spin' -- that intrinsic angular momentum (not angular momentum in general) -- that remains the major difference for me.

Spin is actually deeper and more significant than you think. It can't be explained here - but the book physics from symmetry explains it in full detail.

Please, please read it. The only thing 'wrong' with that book IMHO is he can simplify a lot of what he says and certain things will stand out making you say - why didn't he do that. One example is the Klein-Gordon equation. He give a beautiful derivation of it, its the most general field equation you can write for a single valued complex or real field. But doesn't follow up directly the consequences which are surprising:
https://arxiv.org/ftp/quant-ph/papers/0604/0604169.pdf

But it must be said stuff you nut out for yourself you understand a lot better.

Thanks
Bill

Related to Classical v. quantum dynamics: Is spin the key difference?

1. What is the main difference between classical and quantum dynamics?

Classical dynamics is based on Newton's laws of motion, which describe the behavior of macroscopic objects in terms of their position and velocity. On the other hand, quantum dynamics is based on quantum mechanics, which describes the behavior of microscopic particles in terms of probabilities and wave functions.

2. How does spin play a role in classical and quantum dynamics?

In classical dynamics, spin is not considered as a fundamental property of particles and is not included in the equations of motion. However, in quantum dynamics, spin is a crucial component of the wave function and can impact the behavior of particles under certain conditions.

3. Can classical and quantum dynamics be used interchangeably?

No, classical and quantum dynamics are fundamentally different and cannot be used interchangeably. Classical dynamics is a macroscopic theory that works well for large objects, while quantum dynamics is necessary to describe the behavior of microscopic particles.

4. How does the concept of uncertainty differ in classical and quantum dynamics?

In classical dynamics, uncertainty is not a factor as the position and velocity of objects can be precisely measured. In quantum dynamics, the Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that the more precisely we know a particle's position, the less precisely we can know its momentum, and vice versa.

5. Are there any practical applications of understanding the difference between classical and quantum dynamics?

Yes, understanding the difference between classical and quantum dynamics has led to many technological advancements, such as the development of quantum computers, which have the potential to solve complex problems much faster than classical computers. Understanding spin and other quantum phenomena also plays a crucial role in fields such as quantum cryptography and quantum teleportation.