Classical Relativity and Speed of Sound

In summary, the conversation is discussing the speed of sound in air and how it changes in different frames of reference. The students are trying to measure the speed of sound by setting up a loudspeaker and receiver on a moving flatcar. The solution to the problem involves using the law of cosines and solving for u' in terms of u, v, and theta'. However, there is some confusion about the answer as it includes a term with sin.
Ericv_91

Homework Statement

It is well known that the speed of sound in air is u = 330m/s at STP. What this means is that sound travels at speed u in all directions in the frame S where the air is at rest. In any other frame S', moving relative to S, its speed it not u in all directions. To verify this, some students set up a loudspeaker L and receiver R on an open flatcar, as in the figure that I hopefully successfully attached; by connecting an oscilloscope, they can measure the time for a sound to travel from L to R and hence find its speed u' (relative to the car). a) Derive an expression for u' in terms of u, v, and theta', where v is the car's speed through air, and theta' is the angle between V and LR. [Hint: Draw a velocity-addition triangle to represent the relation u = u' + v. The law of cosines should give you a quadratic equation for u'.]

Homework Equations

a2= b2+c2-2bc*cosA

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having a lot of trouble with this problem as I don't think that I can even get the picture of it right. Hopefully the picture properly attached to show what I think is going on. I understand that the speed of sound will be moving faster since its under the cart, and that it won't be able to go directly to the receiver since the receiver will also be moving. It must go at a slightly smaller angle, right? I attempted to use the cosine law and solve for u', but when I looked at the answer in the back of the book, I was confusingly surprised. The answer stated at the back is: u'= sqrt[(u^2)-(v^2)(sin^2(theta'))] - v*cos(theta'). So, I don't need the answer... But how the heck did they get that answer? How did they get sin into the law of cosine? I don't know. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Eric

Attachments

• Physics Problem 1.jpg
    Physics Problem 1.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 529
  • Physics Problem 2.jpg
    Physics Problem 2.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 579
Physics news on Phys.org
If you apply the law of cosines to the second diagram calling the side marked v as side a, the u side b and the u' side c, you get
v² = u'² + u² - 2uu'cosθ.
Rearranging this into the form a*u'² + b*u' + c = 0 you can use the quadratic solution to get an expression for u'. With a bit of work, including use of cos² - 1 = -sin², I get an expression that includes the answer you quote . . . plus another term. Maybe you'll have better luck with it, or maybe something is missing from the answer. Both answers work when v = 0, θ = 0, making u = u' as it should.

Related to Classical Relativity and Speed of Sound

What is classical relativity?

Classical relativity is the theory proposed by Albert Einstein in 1905, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion. This theory forms the basis of the famous equation E=mc², which explains the relationship between energy, mass, and the speed of light.

How does classical relativity relate to the speed of sound?

In classical relativity, the speed of sound is considered to be a fundamental constant, just like the speed of light. The speed of sound is dependent on the medium through which it travels and is not affected by the motion of the source or observer.

What is the equation for calculating the speed of sound?

The equation for calculating the speed of sound is c = √(γRT), where c is the speed of sound, γ is the specific heat ratio of the medium, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

How does the speed of sound change with temperature?

The speed of sound is directly proportional to the square root of temperature. This means that as the temperature increases, the speed of sound also increases.

Can the speed of sound be greater than the speed of light?

No, according to classical relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which anything can travel in the universe. Therefore, the speed of sound can never exceed the speed of light.