Classical problem: projectile exploding into two parts with one part going down

In summary, when a mass M is fired at 45 degrees with initial kinetic energy E_0, it explodes at the top of the trajectory with a total energy of 2E_0. The resulting fragments travel in opposite directions, with one fragment traveling straight down and the other fragment traveling at an unknown angle. Using conservation of energy and momentum, a system of equations can be set up to determine the velocity and direction of each fragment. Additionally, by determining the initial energy and momentum of both fragments at the time of the explosion, the horizontal and vertical velocities of each fragment can be calculated in terms of E_0. Finally, by considering the acceleration due to gravity, the initial velocities of each fragment can be determined. The ratio of
knightpraetor
So my problem is: a mass M that is fired at 45 degrees with KE E_0, at the top of the trajectory, projectile explodes with additional energy E_0 into two parts, the first fragment travels straight down , what is the velocity of the the first and the velocity and direction of the second part.

Also, what is the ratio of m1/m2 when m2 is maximized.

so far I've played with it for awhile, but basically using conservation of energy and conservation of momentum in the X and Y directions..gives me 3 equations for 3 unknowns (theta [angle the second particle fires off at], and k1 and k2, where

v1 = -k1*v, and v2 = k2*v

, that I'm to write in terms of other unknowns that it is assumed i will know when calculating for actual values i guess ( ie mass of the first and second particles, and initial velocity of the big mass M and the starting energy)

Anyways, I'm wondering if I'm doing this right, i start with a bunch of equations

[tex] 4E_0 = m_1 (k_1 v)^2 + m_2 (k_2 v)^2[/tex]

[tex]-m_1 k_1 v = m_2 k_2 v sin(\theta)[/tex]

[tex](m_1+m_2) v = m_2 k_2 v cos(\theta)[/tex]

are these the right equations? ...and so to solve these qquation i wish to solve this system of equations for equations involving k1, k2, and theta...i assume it's easiest to solve for k2, plug it into k1, then plug both those equations into the energy one and solve for theta...is taht right? and i have no clue how you would even begin to go about the second part

Physics news on Phys.org
What if one determines the initial energy/momentum of both at the time of the explosion. At the top of the arc, the vertical velocity is zero, but each mass has a horizontal velocity. Determine horizontal and vertical velocity in terms of E0. Neglecting air resistance, the combined mass would be moving in a parabolic trajectory.

Then determine the initial velocities of each mass at the explosion (with respect to CM). Note that one accelerates upward and the other downward, then there is gravity acting on each mass.

If the bottom mass goes straight down, then the horizontal component of it's velocity must be equal to it's initial horizontal velocity.

Related to Classical problem: projectile exploding into two parts with one part going down

1. What is the classical problem of a projectile exploding into two parts with one part going down?

The classical problem of a projectile exploding into two parts with one part going down refers to a scenario in physics where a projectile, such as a bullet or a rocket, explodes into two pieces as it travels through the air. One of the pieces continues to move upwards while the other piece falls towards the ground due to the force of gravity.

2. What factors affect the trajectory of the two pieces after the explosion?

The trajectory of the two pieces after the explosion is affected by several factors such as the initial velocity of the projectile, the angle at which it was launched, the mass and shape of the projectile, and the forces acting on the pieces during the explosion.

3. How does the mass of the projectile affect the motion of the two pieces after the explosion?

The mass of the projectile plays a significant role in determining the motion of the two pieces after the explosion. The heavier piece will have a greater inertia and will tend to continue moving in the same direction as the original projectile, while the lighter piece will be more affected by external forces, such as air resistance and gravity.

4. What are some real-life examples of the classical problem of a projectile exploding into two parts?

One real-life example of this classical problem is a fireworks display, where rockets explode in the air and send colorful pieces falling towards the ground. Another example is a fragmentation bomb, where a single bomb releases multiple smaller bomblets that travel in different directions after exploding in mid-air.

5. How is this classical problem relevant to modern science and technology?

Understanding the motion and behavior of projectiles is crucial for many modern technologies, such as weapons, space exploration, and sports equipment. The classical problem of a projectile exploding into two parts provides insights into the principles of motion and can be applied to design and improve various technological systems.