Classical mechanics, simple pendulum

In summary, when setting up equations of motion, they should be valid for any instant of time and should not be simplified by setting certain components of acceleration to zero. Using polar coordinates instead of cartesian coordinates may be helpful in solving the equations. A computer can be used to graph the solution, but it cannot solve the equations. There are no simple expressions for angular velocity and angle as functions of time, but they can be expressed in terms of more complex mathematical functions.
xzibition8612

Homework Statement

See attachment "question"

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

See attachment "work"

I did the work for (1) and (2). I end up with two equations: the first is the tension T, the second is the angular acceleration. I'm not so sure if I made any mistakes in solving the equations of motion, but I'm not really comfortable with these two equations and feel like something went wrong. I just can't see it. Remember the pendulum is a point mass, hence for the point mass the moment of inertia is ml^2. Now for question (3), how do I find the angular velocity? None of my two equations contain this quantity, hence I feel like something went wrong. For (4), I do indeed have T= 9.83/sin(theta). Now how do I plot this in relation to time? Because from this equation I can only plot the tension T in relation to the change in angle, not time. I'm not going to worry about (5) right now, got to get (1)-(4) right first.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• work.jpg
    work.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 592
  • question.doc
    168 KB · Views: 202
Physics news on Phys.org
Why did you set the x and y components of acceleration equal to zero? When you set up equations of motion, they should be valid for any instant of time of the motion. In fact an "equation of motion" is meant to be an expression for the components of acceleration in terms of velocity and position components.

Have you worked with polar coordinates? If so, I would recommend using them instead of cartesian coordinates.

Are you meant to use a computer to assist with the solution of the equations of motion? (There is no way to write the solution for [itex]\theta[/itex] as a function of time in terms of elementary functions.)

Last edited:
I set x'' and y'' to zero because the particle itself does not inherently have any acceleration, its acceleration is due to gravity which is an external force. Might be wrong about this, but that's my way of thinking. I'm meant to use a computer to graph, not to solve the equations...I'm pretty sure. You mean there's no way to get angular velocity by calculation?

xzibition8612 said:
I set x'' and y'' to zero because the particle itself does not inherently have any acceleration, its acceleration is due to gravity which is an external force. Might be wrong about this, but that's my way of thinking. I'm meant to use a computer to graph, not to solve the equations...I'm pretty sure. You mean there's no way to get angular velocity by calculation?

Even at the instant of release, [itex]\ddot{y}[/itex] [itex]\neq[/itex]0 (Think freefall). So, your expression for the tension is not correct.

Your equation for [itex]\ddot{θ}[/itex] looks good except for the sign.

xzibition8612 said:
You mean there's no way to get angular velocity by calculation?

Right. You can get a simple expression for [itex]\dot{θ}[/itex] in terms of θ, but there are no simple expressions for [itex]\dot{θ}[/itex] and θ as functions of time. They can be expressed in terms of certain "functions of higher mathematics".

Related to Classical mechanics, simple pendulum

1. What is classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of macroscopic objects, such as planets, cars, and pendulums. It is based on the laws of motion and gravitation developed by Isaac Newton in the 17th century.

2. What is a simple pendulum?

A simple pendulum is a weight attached to a massless string or rod, which is suspended from a fixed point. When the weight is pulled aside and released, it swings back and forth in a regular motion.

3. What factors affect the period of a simple pendulum?

The period of a simple pendulum is affected by its length, the acceleration due to gravity, and the angle at which it is released. Longer pendulums have longer periods, while a higher acceleration due to gravity or a larger release angle will result in a shorter period.

4. How is the motion of a simple pendulum described?

The motion of a simple pendulum can be described using the equation T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This equation is known as the pendulum equation and is derived from the laws of motion and gravitation.

5. What are the applications of simple pendulums?

Simple pendulums have various practical applications, such as timekeeping devices (e.g. grandfather clocks), seismometers for measuring earthquakes, and accelerometers for measuring acceleration. They are also used in educational demonstrations to illustrate concepts in classical mechanics, such as oscillations and harmonic motion.