Means mean and mean mean means

In summary: Originally posted by Monique In summary, the conversation was about mean and how it is different from other words. Mean is drowned by unruly base and means the same as all the other words. The mean was drowned by your unruly base.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Lingo never fails to confuse me..

By all means, the mean of men don't mean to be mean by living outside of their means.

means-method
mean-average
mean-intend
mean-evil
means-wealth

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, I thought of that myself

I thought I was writing mean the wrong way, since it is written the same way as all the other means, but apparently it was right..

mean the others think that's prety good.

Originally posted by selfAdjoint
mean the others think that's prety good.
That's just pure evil

meam quite whitty :wink:

Originally posted by Monique
That's just pure evil

meam quite whitty :wink:
uam quite an iota?

Originally posted by Tsunami
uam quite an iota?
Why mention this? It's such a small matter.

uam quite an iota?
By no means!

You tell me what this mean means and I will tell you what you are:
"The mean was drowned by your unruly base."

*PHUH!*

Last edited:
By no means!

You tell me what this mean means and I will tell you what you are:
"The mean was drowned by your unruly base."

*PHUH!*
What do you mean? What ir?

What do you mean? What ir?
Ok, I'll give the answer away, the meaning is:

\Mean\: (Mus.) A part, whether alto or tenor, intermediate between the soprano and base; a middle part. [Obs.]

Ok, I'll give the answer away, the meaning is:

\Mean\: (Mus.) A part, whether alto or tenor, intermediate between the soprano and base; a middle part. [Obs.]
Well, that's as clear as MUD!
So, what are you saying? IR a 'middle part'? (you SAID you'd tell me what IR...) or maybe IR an 'unruly base'?
(I'M SO CONFUSED!)

well, ir sajin dat ur tuh zeem ass ir

well, ir sajin dat ur tuh zeem ass ir
What a SWEET thing to say! (Hey! Is that Dutch? Are you teaching me Dutch? COOL! I LOVE THE NETHERLANDS! SO beautiful and SUCH good restaurants in Amsterdam - YUM! And I got such a huge charge of riding the train and looking out the window and seeing a SHIP going right through the middle of a giant green agricultural field! )

ROTFLOL, well, it happens

For the record, this "well, ir sajin dat ur tuh zeem ass ir"
means: well, I am saying that you are the same as I am.

uam quite an iota?
Oh, I thought that meant idiot

Originally posted by zoobyshoe
Why mention this? It's such a small matter.
All of a sudden that comment makes sense too

All of a sudden that comment makes sense too
Whit, iota = small matter. You referred to yourself as "whity" i.e. "of or having to do with a thing of no consequence." That's where Tsunami got "iota".

I thought that if someone had whit, they were smart hard working and had good insight

Again something learned today.. [b(]

I think you mean "wit" rather than "whit".

I thought that if someone had whit, they were smart hard working and had good insight
Whit is not Wit. Orthographic confusion leads to homophonic disorientation. To find east, linguistically speaking, look in the dictionary.

Originally posted by Lonewolf
I think you mean "wit" rather than "whit".
*sigh* I probably did, didn't I?

Would you mind if from now on I just start posting everything in Dutch? There is a translation service called Babelfish, just download the toolbar.. it will allow you to translate everything I post. Thanks.

[zz)]

I wouldn't feel too bad about it. Your English is better than most of our Dutch

Whit is not Wit. Orthographic confusion leads to homophonic disorientation. To find east, linguistically speaking, look in the dictionary.
Wit is Dutch for white..

To find east.. is like finding which direction is south on the Northpole..

Ok, looked in the dictionary.. finding east is not in there..

ROTFLOL, well, it happens
Hey! Don't call me a ROTFLOL! I'M NOT A ROTFLOL!

For the record, this "well, ir sajin dat ur tuh zeem ass ir" means: well, I am saying that you are the same as I am.
I know! (you see, I already KNOW a little 'Dutsch' ) That's why I thanked you for the compliment!

I know! (you see, I already KNOW a little 'Dutsch' )
I hope you are not confused with Deutsch

To be oriented means, literally, to be facing east. Once you are facing any direction with certainty you know where all the other directions are.

To be oriented is a metaphor for knowing one's way around.

The mistakes you made came from not knowing your way around Whit, wit, and iota.

Orthography is a fancy word for spelling. The kind of wit you meant is not spelled whit. You could have discovered this from a dictionary. You could likewise have discovered what an iota is.

Also: I wouldn't advise looking in Dutch dictionaries for English words. There is probably precious little overlap.

To be oriented means, literally, to be facing east. Once you are facing any direction with certainty you know where all the other directions are.
Now THAT is cool

Also: I wouldn't advise looking in Dutch dictionaries for English words. There is probably precious little overlap.
Well, as I said: wit is Dutch for white.. doesn't help, really

*edit* there is also a thing called properly reading I see :P yes, there is poor overlap of the words.. that doesn't mean I can turn that switch off though :wink:

Last edited:
I hope you are not confused with Deutsch
OH! ABSOLUTELY not! (just GENERALLY confused - wouldn't YOU be living with IVAN?) I accidentally inserted an 's' in Dutch. Ivan speaks Deutsch tho!

Would you mind if from now on I just start posting everything in Dutch? There is a translation service called Babelfish, just download the toolbar.. it will allow you to translate everything I post. Thanks.

[zz)]
NO! YOUR ENGLISH IS EXCELLENT! I'M JUST A STINKER! (check your pm's)

NO! YOUR ENGLISH IS EXCELLENT! I'M JUST A STINKER! (check your pm's)
You are PLUMB correct!

You are PLUMB correct!
PLUMB! GOOD ONE!

While repairing the PLUMBing, Ivan found a pipe blocked with a PLUM. He also noticed that the wall was out of PLUMB.

One of my favorites:
WHETHER or not the WEATHER is nice, we're going to the beach!

I know. These aren't quite the same as 'mean', but I enjoy the little weirdities of the English language. You may notice I'll occasionally make up my own word when I can't think of one that really conveys my meaning. Fun stuff.

and and and and and

Well, being inspired by Monique's original posting, I decided a challenge was in order.

Make up a sensible sentence in English with the word 'and' written within it five times consecutively... and and and and and and

It CAN be done!

I can do 6 "that"s. :smile:

Originally posted by Adrian Baker
Well, being inspired by Monique's original posting, I decided a challenge was in order.

Make up a sensible sentence in English with the word 'and' written within it five times consecutively... and and and and and and

It CAN be done!
I cheated but here it is:

Wouldn't the sentence "I want to put a hyphen between the words Fish and And and And and Chips in my Fish-And-Chips sign" have been clearer if quotation marks had been placed before Fish, and between Fish and and, and and and And, and And and and, and and and And, and And and and, and and and Chips, as well as after Chips?

Originally posted by Hurkyl
I can do 6 "that"s. :smile:
And? *waiting*

I figured I'd give y'all a chance to come up with 6 of that word in a row on your own.

Well, you can see that that 'that' that that 'that' references has, indeed, been used 6 times in a row in this sentence!