Classical mechanics - particle in a well; Lagrangian and Hamiltonian

In summary, the problem involves a particle confined to a one-dimensional box with slowly moving ends. The goal is to find the momentum of the particle at any later time, assuming perfectly elastic collisions with the walls. The problem can be approached using both Lagrangian and Hamiltonian formulations, but the poster is struggling to apply these concepts to the problem. They have attempted a solution using Newtonian mechanics, but are looking for hints on how to approach the problem from a Lagrangian and Hamiltonian perspective.
Wobbles

Homework Statement

I'm working (self-study) through Goldstein et al, Classical Mechanics, 3rd Edition, and I'm currently stuck on Problem 8.11:

A particle is confined to a one-dimensional box. The ends of the box (let these be at [itex]\pm l(t)[/itex]) move slowly towards the middle. By slowly we mean the speed of the ends is small when compared to the speed of the particle. Solve the following using Lagrangian formulation and then the Hamiltonian.

(a) If the momentum of the particle is [itex]p_0[/itex] when the walls are a distance [itex]x_0[/itex] apart, find the momentum of the particle at any later time assuming the collisions with the wall are perfectly elastic. Also assume the motion is nonrelativistic at any time.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can solve this easily enough from standard Newtonian mechanics, but just can't get a handle on how to start from a Lagrangian or Hamiltonian viewpoint. My Newtonian approach is as follows.

Let [itex]l(t)[/itex] denote the distance of the walls from the centre of the box at time [itex]t[/itex]; let [itex]N(t)[/itex] be the number of collisions between the particle and the walls of the box since [itex]t=0[/itex].

At time [itex]t[/itex], let the particle, of mass [itex]m[/itex], have velocity [itex]\vec{v}(t)[/itex]. Denote the magnitude of the particle's momentum as a function of [itex]l[/itex] by [itex]p(l)[/itex], and as a function of [itex]N[/itex] by [itex]P(N)[/itex]; at any given time, these two quantities have the same value.

Because collisions between the particle and the walls are elastic, at each collision, the magnitude of the particle's momentum increases by an amount [tex]\Delta P=-2m \frac{dl}{dt};[/tex]as the collisions are occurring with a high frequency, we can approximate [itex]P[/itex] as a differentiable function with derivative equal to [itex]\Delta P[/itex].

The rate at which collisions between the particle and the ends of the box are occurring is
[tex]
\begin{align}
\frac{dN}{dt} &= \frac{1}{2l/\|\vec{v}\|} \\
&= \frac{\|m \vec{v}\|}{2lm} \\
&= \frac{p}{2lm}.
\end{align}
[/tex]
Thus we have
[tex]
\begin{align}
\frac{dp}{dl} &= \frac{dP}{dN} \frac{dN}{dt} \frac{dt}{dl} \\
&= -2m \frac{dl}{dt} \frac{p}{2lm} \frac{dt}{dl} \\
&= - \frac{p}{l},
\end{align}
[/tex]
or
[tex]\frac{dp}{p} = -\frac{dl}{l}.[/tex]
This has the solution [tex]\frac{p(l)}{p(l_0)} = \frac{l_0}{l},[/tex] or [tex]p(l) l = p(l_0) l_0.[/tex]
Expressed in terms of the distance between the walls, [itex]x = 2l[/itex],
[tex]p(\frac{x}{2}) x = p(\frac{x_0}{2}) x_0.[/tex]
Does anyone have any hints as to how I should approach this from both a Lagrangian and a Hamiltonian basis? I've been looking over this chapter for a month now and I just can't see how to apply these ideas to this problem from the start. It almost seems that one needs to solve the problem from a Newtonian standpoint to get the Lagrangian and Hamiltonian, but that seems like solving the problem after I've solved the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Classical mechanics - particle in a well; Lagrangian and Hamiltonian

1. What is classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the motion and behavior of macroscopic objects, such as particles and systems of particles, under the influence of external forces. It is based on the laws of motion and gravitation developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century.

2. What is a particle in a well in classical mechanics?

A particle in a well is a common example used in classical mechanics to illustrate the concept of a potential energy well. In this scenario, a particle is confined within a potential energy well, such as a box or a harmonic oscillator, and its motion is described by the laws of classical mechanics.

3. What is the Lagrangian method in classical mechanics?

The Lagrangian method is an alternative formulation of classical mechanics, named after the mathematician Joseph-Louis Lagrange. It is based on the principle of least action, where the equations of motion can be derived by minimizing the difference between the kinetic and potential energy of a system.

4. How is the Hamiltonian related to the Lagrangian in classical mechanics?

The Hamiltonian is another mathematical formulation of classical mechanics, developed by William Rowan Hamilton. It is closely related to the Lagrangian, as it describes the total energy of a system in terms of generalized coordinates and momenta, rather than position and velocity.

5. What are the practical applications of classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics has a wide range of practical applications, including engineering, astronomy, and everyday life. It is used to design structures and machines, predict the motion of celestial bodies, and understand the behavior of everyday objects, from cars to sports equipment.