Classical mechanics orbital motion

In summary, the mass of the sun is decreasing at a constant rate and the problem is asking to find [dr/dt]/r for the earth. The poster also mentions using the equation GMm/r^2=mdv/dt and looking for similar problems in preparation for a qualifying exam. They also mention using the centripetal force as a possible solution method.
phyworld
1. The mass of the sun is decreasing as dM/dt=-constant .M
Find [dr/dt]/r for the earth

Homework Equations

3. I tried using M=M0-alpha. t and then separating the variables in the equation GMm/r^2=mdv/dt. I don't knot the right way to solve this. Plz tell me how to solve this problem and where can i find similar problems. I need your reply soon as i am preparing for qualifying exam.Thanx
=

Physics news on Phys.org
We don't give solutions here.

There are a lot of physics problems books like "Schaum's Outline" etc.

Now I would try the centripetal force.

Related to Classical mechanics orbital motion

1. What is classical mechanics orbital motion?

Classical mechanics orbital motion is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects in orbit around a larger mass, such as planets orbiting around a star. It is based on Newton's laws of motion and the law of universal gravitation.

2. What are the key equations used in classical mechanics orbital motion?

The key equations used in classical mechanics orbital motion include Newton's second law (F=ma), the law of universal gravitation (F=Gm1m2/r^2), and the equations for centripetal force (F=mv^2/r) and centripetal acceleration (a=v^2/r).

3. How does the mass of an object affect its orbital motion?

The mass of an object does not affect its orbital motion. According to Newton's second law, the force of gravity between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses, but the acceleration is inversely proportional to the mass. Therefore, the mass of an object does not affect its orbital speed or trajectory.

4. What is an elliptical orbit?

An elliptical orbit is a type of orbit in which an object moves around another object in an oval-shaped path. This type of orbit is described by Kepler's laws of planetary motion and is commonly seen in the orbits of planets and comets around the sun.

5. What factors can affect the stability of an orbital motion?

The stability of an orbital motion can be affected by factors such as the mass and distance of the objects involved, the eccentricity of the orbit, and the presence of other celestial bodies that may exert gravitational influence. In some cases, external forces such as atmospheric drag or tidal forces can also affect the stability of an orbital motion.