Classical Mechanics for Mathematician

In summary: I think you'll really like this book, and it goes into a lot of detail on the various applications of symplectic geometry.
chhan92
Hi!
I am looking for suitable ways to learn mechanics in mathematician's perspective.
I went through:
- multivariable calculus from Spivak,
- real analysis from Pugh,
- differential equations from Hirsh/Smale/Devaney (mostly focusing on linear system, existence & uniqueness, nonlinear dynamical system, bifurcation, and brief touch on chaos) (so no application covered)
- differential geometry from Pressley (but I hate pressley, so I am going to review through doCarmo)
- topology from Willard (but not all of them)

The problem is I did not take freshman physics coures (because of annoying labs;;)

My goal is to be able to read Abraham/Marsden's Foundations of Mechanics or something
of that level.

I was thinking of reading differential equations book's applications section first and... idk.

What books do you think is suitable for me to start learning classical mechanics?

Physics news on Phys.org
V.I. Arnold's Mathematical Methods of Classical Mechanics sounds like it would be suitable. You'll finally get to see those differential forms from Spivak in action!

Last edited:
But is Arnold self-contained in terms of physical intuition?
Do you think Arnold is readable without freshman-level physical knowledge?

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's an idea if you want to do the basics of mechanics with more of an emphasis on calculus than most introductory approaches - Mix:
http://www.pa.msu.edu/courses/phy233b/VideoLectures.html
http://www.pa.msu.edu/courses/2010fall/PHY321/VideoLectures/
with reading both https://www.amazon.com/dp/0201073927/?tag=pfamazon01-20 & https://www.amazon.com/dp/0070843570/?tag=pfamazon01-20 (http://archive.org/details/SchaumsTheoryAndProblemsOfTheoreticalMechanics).
I'd take notes from the video in the first link first, then the second link, then read the corresponding section of Symon finally doing the schaums sections & Symon's problems together last. it'd be a good idea to go through the Yale videos as well. Then you could go onto Lagrangian https://www.amazon.com/dp/0070692580/?tag=pfamazon01-20 & Arnol'd without that soul-destroying headache. If you want to really rush things then at least watch the videos before going on as they are the best ones I've found & do the most out of all the basic ones I've seen.

I completely forgot about Spivak--also an excellent suggestion! Ideally you could compare these two books in a library and see which one you prefer.

Classical mechanics is has a very strong geometric flavor. That is, you can learn a lot of pretty mathematics by learning classical mechanics.I would strongly recommend either Mathematical Methods of Classical Mechanics by V.I. Arnold or An Treatise on the Analytical Dynamics of Particles and Rigid Bodies by E.T. Whittaker (out of copyright/print; legally available on-line here).

After that, purchase Dynamical Systems IV: Symplectic Geometry and Its Applications. There is also a really nice set of lecture notes by "www.math.princeton.edu/~acannas/Papers/symplectic.pdf" .

Related to Classical Mechanics for Mathematician

What is classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of macroscopic objects under the influence of external forces. It is based on the laws of motion and gravitation developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century.

How is classical mechanics different from quantum mechanics?

Classical mechanics describes the behavior of objects at a macroscopic scale, while quantum mechanics deals with the behavior of particles at a microscopic scale. Classical mechanics is deterministic, meaning that the future state of a system can be predicted from its current state, while quantum mechanics is probabilistic, meaning that the future state of a system can only be described in terms of probabilities.

What are the fundamental principles of classical mechanics?

The fundamental principles of classical mechanics are Newton's laws of motion, which state that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will continue to move at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. The second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

What types of problems can be solved using classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics can be used to solve problems related to the motion of objects, such as predicting the trajectory of a projectile, calculating the forces acting on a moving object, and determining the motion of objects in a gravitational field. It can also be applied to systems of particles, such as in celestial mechanics and fluid mechanics.

How is classical mechanics used in other fields of science?

Classical mechanics is the foundation of many other branches of physics, including thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and optics. It is also used in engineering and other fields to design and analyze systems and structures. Additionally, many principles of classical mechanics can be found in everyday experiences, such as driving a car or throwing a ball.